Howdy from Team Summit

The way I understand it is that they will keep the existing MPEG-2 programming and simulcast the MPEG-4 programming on different birds to be viewable by folks with all MPEG-4 capable equipment. This will allow current customers without VIP receivers to continue viewing their normal programming. Completely changing over to MPEG-4 would be an ENORMOUS task. Changing EVERY dish and EVERY receiver.....whew. That's a lot of dollars to spend. Consider this - what would they do with all of the returned MPEG-2 receivers? They'd be junk. DISH would have BILLIONS of dollars of equipment returned just to sit and collect dust. On top of that, they would have to manufacteur all of the millions of replacement receivers. Too much to do before the middle of next year. The only thing that makes sense is to simulcast both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 service on different sats. Folks wanting/needing total MPEG-4 programming will get a different dish to integrate with their existing ViP receivers. For everyone else it will be business as usual. Then like Scott said, over time MPEG-4 will be the cat's meow for everyone. But it will be at least 2-3 years before the total switch is complete.

Don't jump to conclusions yet...

I just hope E* doesn't start advertising their upcoming capacity like the other guys. Advertise when you have it live and kicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke
Yeah either way you still should be able to use just one Dish instead of two I would think.

Yepp. Prob be smarter to keep a 1000.2 than swap to an 18" if all this comes to fruition.

If you can. It depends entirely on where the satellites sit and whether or not the band they use to broadcast is viewable on a 1000.2 dish. It may end up being some kind of funky combo LNB setup like is on the 500+ that picks up 118 and 119. I agree that a bigger reflector is better, but at this point there's no way to know what kind of setup will be required to view the signal. Too many factors: band, location, distance between the sats....the list goes on.

I just hope E* doesn't start advertising their upcoming capacity like the other guys. Advertise when you have it live and kicking.

Sure. No conclusions. Only guesses and opinions at this point. I've learned not to get excited about something from DISH until I can hold it in my hands and drool on it. ;)

If you can. It depends entirely on where the satellites sit and whether or not the band they use to broadcast is viewable on a 1000.2 dish. It may end up being some kind of funky combo LNB setup like is on the 500+ that picks up 118 and 119. I agree that a bigger reflector is better, but at this point there's no way to know what kind of setup will be required to view the signal. Too many factors: band, location, distance between the sats....the list goes on.

Yeah, true. Know we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Something like "Soon, Dish Network will have the capacity to announce more potential HD channels than any other provider". :D

They would have to enable the new satellite spots in the sat meter menu. I hope that they are within the same range as 110-129 and they can be received by a single 1000.2 dish or a dish 500 etc. I would hope that Dish isn't planning on changing out all dishes as well as upgrading all receivers to mpeg 4 too. If they can use existing dishes pointed where they are now , to receive the new sat positions , then this would be a smart move. Especially if all it takes is to enable by software the new sat locations in the dish point menu. Imagine the rain fade killer that the 1000.2 sat dish would be instead of a 18 " dish. I just hope that they do not intend on using something other than dbs , like ku or what Directv is using to receive the hd locals. Then it would be very unreliable and need a bigger dish just to keep it working during any rain.

Anything else on DishOnline?

Scott,

You said you were not very impressed with what you have seen in regards to DishOnline. Have you seen anything else on features, costs, or timeframes? I am anxious to have some VOD through Dish - that is one of the ONLY things I miss from cable, though I know that it probably will not be the same as it was on cable. I am also excited about remote recording over the web. I was just curious if you have found out any more info.

Thanks for all the great information - today and everyday!

-Mick from Wisconsin

They would have to enable the new satellite spots in the sat meter menu. I hope that they are within the same range as 110-129 and they can be received by a single 1000.2 dish or a dish 500 etc. I would hope that Dish isn't planning on changing out all dishes as well as upgrading all receivers to mpeg 4 too. If they can use existing dishes pointed where they are now , to receive the new sat positions , then this would be a smart move. Especially if all it takes is to enable by software the new sat locations in the dish point menu. Imagine the rain fade killer that the 1000.2 sat dish would be instead of a 18 " dish. I just hope that they do not intend on using something other than dbs , like ku or what Directv is using to receive the hd locals. Then it would be very unreliable and need a bigger dish just to keep it working during any rain.

Enabling new spots in the menu is as simple as a software upgrade. Like when 118.7 came into use here about a year or so ago. All the sudden it just magically appeared one day. High power signals are the way to go. We all now how 105superdish did during rain. Pairing down to a 500 style dish isn't a bad thing though. From an installation view it's better because you can mount them in more places, plus it's easier to find line of sight. That's a BIG deal down here in southern Ohio. It's hard to get LOS down here on 129, sometimes even on 119 depending on where you are. 32 degrees for 119 isn't too low, but it gets tricky sometimes. We've turned down hundreds of customers because of NLOS on 129 for locals. There's certainly a lot of considerations to be made.

Well it looks like Scott said in another post that the new sats maybe at 86.5 and 97. Well it looks like another new dish will be needed- AGAIN! But I am still unclear about if the national hd channels will be on these sats as well as 61.5 &129 like they are today.

Well it looks like Scott said in another post that the new sats maybe at 86.5 and 97. Well it looks like another new dish will be needed- AGAIN! But I am still unclear about if the national hd channels will be on these sats as well as 61.5 &129 like they are today.
Still more questions than answers. Time will tell.

No one knows... nor should anyone get shook up about it. We will find out when the uplinks start kicking out the bits.

Remember the original plan for the Superdish? Didn't work out that way eh?

Sounds like a Dish 500 would fit the bill.

Between this and the other thread, it seems Scott has stated that the new sats will have ALL the current channels, SD & HD, just in MPEG-4, and that 61.5 & 129 will continue to have HD for some time to come.

I'd say it sounds like new customers will get MPEG-4 equipment and dishes aimed at the new satellites, and current customers can continue for years to come just as we are.

Between this and the other thread, it seems Scott has stated that the new sats will have ALL the current channels, SD & HD, just in MPEG-4, and that 61.5 & 129 will continue to have HD for some time to come.

I'd say it sounds like new customers will get MPEG-4 equipment and dishes aimed at the new satellites, and current customers can continue for years to come just as we are.

And current customers like myself can change to be able to hit the two new sats instead of having good signal on 119 and weak signal on 110 and 129.

It gets confusing from Scott notes since he says:

"On these two Satellites they will be relaunching Dish Network in FULL MPEG4. All current Dish Network Channels will be available in full MPEG4. And everything will be receivable with just one 18 inch dish.

On these two satellites they will be able to offer the following:
200 LIL Cities in Standard Definion
HD Locals to 100 Cities
1000 Standard Definition Channels
200 International Channels."

So he says all current channels but in his counts doesn't mention national HD channels, just locals.

Yes that is what I've been asking about. The concensus seems to be that they will be duplicated on the new sats for mpeg 4 : 86.5 and 97. They will also be available where they are today , 61.5 and 129 , along with the mpeg 2 sats of 110/119. But if it all works out we will be able to point to the two new mpeg 4 satellites and get everything with one single 18 " dish . Now the question will be will the new sat dishes have a single lnb or a dual lnb to receive both satellites? I only hope that if they do duplicate EVERYTHING in true mpeg 4 on these two satellites that there will be improved picture quality on both sd and hd . Meaning possibly that the hd will return to its formal glory 1920 x 1080i, and that sd could be at least as good as 480p or dvd quality. IF this is true we will all be wanting to swing over to these new sats quickly to improve the pq.