Howdy from Team Summit

Sure, they can upconvert everything like The Weather Channel HD is going to do. Stretch-o-Vision.

donnelly, you are a genius! Of course! Stretch-o-vision every channel because the general public doesn't know any better already. A generous portion of HD tv owners aren't even subscribed to any HD channels and they don't know it.

Of course, if they actually do this, it will be your fault because you said it here and D* had no idea what they were going to do until they read your post.
:D

SG, everything you what you did post will not have merits, if Dish will follow DTV and rest of the World and will implement DVB-S2 standard on new satellites. That will discard ALL current STB/DVRs; also if that shift will happen in Ka range, all legacy/DP/DPP LNBFs will be useless.

The weather channel will NOT be stretch o vision, it will be 80% full hd. In fact a lot of the stuff being shot now is done in HD, they have been using HD cameras for awhile getting people use to the new technology.

I had a nice meeting with them Friday afternoon.

They are really gearing up for this HD Launch, and I hear their new graphics look amazing in HD.

The weather channel will NOT be stretch o vision, it will be 80% full hd. In fact a lot of the stuff being shot now is done in HD, they have been using HD cameras for awhile getting people use to the new technology.

I had a nice meeting with them Friday afternoon.

They are really gearing up for this HD Launch, and I hear their new graphics look amazing in HD.
All I know is what I read in the papers:

http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6437614

"The Weather Channel HD will launch with DirecTV in September 2007. However, it won’t be true HD at first. Wilson said the direct-broadcast satellite operator will upconvert the standard-definition feed until the network’s HD studio comes online."

All I know is what I read in the papers:

http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6437614

"The Weather Channel HD will launch with DirecTV in September 2007. However, it won’t be true HD at first. Wilson said the direct-broadcast satellite operator will upconvert the standard-definition feed until the network’s HD studio comes online."

Thats because the weather channel has stated they wont be ready until early 2008 most likely. There's nothing wrong with getting the channel up and running ahead of time, its not like itll stay "stretchovision" forever. It amazes me how bitter people are about getting new programming. Give somebody a BMW and they would bitch about the color.

The question is, once everybody ends up being at 87/97 what are they going to do with the bandwidth at 110/119? They will not want to move everybody's dishes from 87/97 to 110/119 when they already have them pointed at a slot receiving all the channels that they need.

At that point E* is playing with house money.

However: These two satellites won't do anything for us current HD subs, not for a while. We'll start getting more HD once all the current MPEG-2 HD channels get switched to MPEG-4, and that of course won't happen until the obsolete HD receivers are out of circulation.

In fact, I'd argue that they've been trying to do that ever since they announced that VOOM will only be available on MPEG-4 receivers, even though all of us here knew that VOOM was really just MPEG-2 with an MPEG-4 header. They were basically signalling End-of-Life notices to everyone with 921s, 942s, and other non-MPEG-4 receivers whose model numbers I cannot remember.

Once they get enough of those receivers out of circulation, they can move all existing HD to MPEG-4. (They may have also wanted to wait until they were sure these new encoders were up to snuff.) That is what will give them more space for HD, not these two new sats.

Looking far into the future, when all existing SD subs have been moved over to MPEG-4, they can either simulcast the new service on 110-119, or use all of that new bandwidth for glorious HD. My bet, however, is on the former. Dish won't want to have to repoint millions of dishes to the new slots; I have to think they'd rather let the upgrade process consist of sending out new receivers and letting the subscriber swap it out himself.

The real question, assuming they have twin MPEG-4 services running at both the current and new slots, is what happens to the wing satellites? Do they put East coast locals on 61.5 and West Coast locals on 129? And what about the other locations, like 148 and 118.7?

I wonder the same thing about all those extra sats they won't be needing any longer. LIke all those leased sats at 105,121,118. They could possibly make use out of the 61.5 sat if they wanted to for hd locals on the east and maybe 148 for west coast locals but then you would be right back where you started having two dishes for your national and locals. I still think we will see a lot of spots being given up or sold once they move to the mpeg 4 sats. IF not then Charlie would be wasting a lot of money mirroring everything for nothing. Scott suggested that they use the 110/119 sats for mpeg 4 west coast service. All national channels in west coast time. That might actualy work if the west coast people are interested.

Yes the Weather Channel told me, that they would not be broadcasting in HD probably until the beginning of the year.

BTW it looks like the Weather on the 8's interactive feature is delayed until June now. But the reason for this is because the Weather on the 8s feature may do more just the weather on the 8's.

There is a POSSIBILITY that the Weather on the 8's trigger could be on every channel, but not to load up the Weather on the 8's but as an EAS service. This way if you live in Mud Lick Kentucky and there is a weather alert or other emergency you will be alerted of this issue no matter what channel you are tuned to. :)

Yes the Weather Channel told me, that they would not be broadcasting in HD probably until the beginning of the year.

BTW it looks like the Weather on the 8's interactive feature is delayed until June now. But the reason for this is because the Weather on the 8s feature may do more just the weather on the 8's.

There is a POSSIBILITY that the Weather on the 8's trigger could be on every channel, but not to load up the Weather on the 8's but as an EAS service. This way if you live in Mud Lick Kentucky and there is a weather alert or other emergency you will be alerted of this issue no matter what channel you are tuned to. :)

This is very cool, just in time for hurricane season!

I can hear the complaining already. People that moved to get locals in another city now will have to live with the weather alerts across all channels.

Scott suggested that they use the 110/119 sats for mpeg 4 west coast service. All national channels in west coast time. That might actualy work if the west coast people are interested.

I know I'd be interested and I'm East Coast. I'd love to have time shifting for "cable channels" I have to many timer conflicts even with two 622's.

Voyagerbob

You guys so creative in personal speculations, amazing ! :D - The company already set all plans and NEVER will listen us. We must wait and FOLLOW.

[Sure, nobody in normal mental state could stop posting our 'forecasts', but it's total waist of time, effort and storage/bandwidth on the server. ;)]

We talked about the Weather on the 8's feature. We did suggest an option to turn off the every channel feature if we didn't want it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)