Howz it Over Here?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree that the Ethernet port is an advantage for the H21 over the H20. But I will disagree with you about the speed of the H20. While is was dog slow when it initially came out, software upgrades that came out later sped it up tremendously. When I got rid of my H20 about 2 months ago it was much faster than the HR20 I have which is faster still than the HR22 I got to replace the H20-600 I had.

You're right that you can get the AM21 OTA add on for for HR21 and HR22. However, as far as I know, the AM21 doesn't work with the H21. And the OTA tuner in the H20-600 is better than the tuner in the AM21. The H20-100 may be a different story, but the H20-600 had a tremendous OTA tuner.

I tend to agree about the newest models. And saw that about ethernet but don't need it. I am reducing this box to the lowest posible function --decrypting the signal-- and I'll take care of the rest with MythTV, to reduce exposure to fiddling and DRM to the greatest extent possible. Just give me the transport stream and I am happy.

shibby, thought you might be a Mason due to your nick. Can't say anymore, except that I am.

Have bought the Hauppauge HVR-1250 and am setting it up now. Looks like just the ticket.

We'll just say that it's really "cutting edge" technology. ;)

someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the latest ce for the H21 is allowing the connection for the am21. i can't say anymore because this is part of the ce forum so a yes or no should do :)

'Why I repeat the question'? Because I would like a definitive answer, and I believe I now have the best one available.

'How I suppose to use it'? I am supposed to use it when in the future all channels are DVB-S2. I was being forward-thinking, in looking for the receiver that is future-proof to the greatest extent possible.

Your posts to me lately Smith, P. have not been of the friendly variety, so I have to ask you why, did you think I was going to try and harness it for a death ray?

Linked it above. It's the new transmission protocol Direct & Dish are moving to.

'Why I repeat the question'? Because I would like a definitive answer, and I believe I now have the best one available.

'How I suppose to use it'? I am supposed to use it when in the future all channels are DVB-S2. I was being forward-thinking, in looking for the receiver that is future-proof to the greatest extent possible.

Your posts to me lately Smith, P. have not been of the friendly variety, so I have to ask you why, did you think I was going to try and harness it for a death ray?
Nope, nothing personal - just curious why some technical aspects worried you when the providers try to hide it from customers. They switched to lease program so we shouldn't care what technology/standards implemented and swap the equipment no cost for you( but each time increase commitment term :( ).

Erm, not necessarily. Depends on when this began, which none of us knows. This is why I asked.

Erm, not necessarily. Depends on when this began, which none of us knows. This is why I asked.

Most likely is all their MPEG 4 equipment since they broadcast all their MPEG4 HD channels the same way. You are being way to over complicated with your decision. Just because they are doing this today does not mean they will continue using it in the future. If you wait for the latest and greatest you will never buy anything in life because there is always something else new coming around the corner.

But this is just an opinion of a wet rag.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)