Hr 10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

parkim

Original poster
May 29, 2005
I want to bid on eBay for a HR10-250 STB but given the location of my TV it is absolutely impossible to connect to a telephone line.

Will the unit operate properly without the phone line?

I presently use a Hughes HD HIRD-E86 STB that doesn't require a phone line.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

I'm a real newbie at this...

1. How would I go about "hacking" it?

2. Why do I need it at all if the (non DVR) Hughes set top box hasn't ever been connected to a phone line and works fine?

Thanks

parkim said:
I'm a real newbie at this...

1. How would I go about "hacking" it?

2. Why do I need it at all if the (non DVR) Hughes set top box hasn't ever been connected to a phone line and works fine?

Thanks

I don't own the equipment in question so I can't help you there, but please heed the "no hack talk" requirements of Satelliteguys.us. Some posters don't always play by the rules.

I believe you need the phone line because it is a Tivo box and that is how it currently updates itself. And isn't vurbano the one who started the "Hack Talk"

Last edited:
parkim said:
I want to bid on eBay for a HR10-250 STB but given the location of my TV it is absolutely impossible to connect to a telephone line.

Will the unit operate properly without the phone line?

I presently use a Hughes HD HIRD-E86 STB that doesn't require a phone line.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
You only really need the phone connection for the initial set up, so you can just run the phone line for the set-up and then disconnect it.

It will continue to operate without being continuously connected but you won't be able to get software updates (actually, the software updates come down via the satellite but the updates don't load until the unit is authorized to via a phone call).

So again, if you read the forums you'll know when a software update is being rolled out so you can make a temporary phone connection during those times. Speaking of which, with the problems that many people are having now with the 6.3a software you might want to avoid the update until the issues are resolved.

The only other issues regarding not having a phone line continuously connected are:

1) you'll start to get a daily nag screen after a couple of weeks.....no big deal really, just delete the message.

2) you won't be able to order PPV with your remote....also not a big deal since you can do that online and all your receivers will get the event instead of just the one you ordered from.

Last edited:
You can also connect with whats called a serial PPP. I use vonage, so, serial PPP works a lot better. No hacking required.

Thanks very much to all for the information...

A couple of final questions (I think):

1. How do I get more info on a "serial PPP"

2. I'm from Canada - I assume making a phone connection may be 'problematic' regarding my subscription? What do you think?

Status
Please reply by conversation.