HR-20 bad components? Time for a receiver replacement?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mirage52

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I replaced by audio receiver yesterday and had to disconnect the HR-20 receiver to do so. When I hooked the HR-20 back up, I noticed that the picture was flickering in and out until it would go away completely. When I touched/moved the component cables, the picture came back. But not for long. While watching a 2 hr movie on my DVR, I had to touch/move the component cables a few times to get the picture to come back. I took them out, plugged them back in, but still the picture seems to be coming and going.

When I get home I am going to swap out the component cables to see if the cables are bad, but I am wondering if the receiver's inputs are shot.

Does anyone else know if this has been a common problem? I am wondering if it's worth the bother of getting behind the TV to swap out component cables or just order a replacement HR-20. My unit is 4 years old from the beta testing days when the HR-20 first came out. It might be time for an update anyway.

What do you guys think???

Come on guys, chime in! I see 19 views... but no replies... I need your help! :(

Try swapping the cables is my first guess. Even if you don't have 'official' component cable try using regular audio/composite cables just to make sure if it's not a long cable run.

I get sound fine. The picture just flickers out. What is strange is that if it was just one component cable that was acting up (like the red, green or blue one), the picture would still work, right? It would just be missing some of the colors. But with this, the entire picture fizzles out. And when I move just one cable, the picture comes back.

I will swap the cables... it's just a pain because I just got my room put back together and now this!!!! UGH!!!!

Are you using the AV receiver as a conduit for the component signals?
If so, try connecting the HR20 directly to the TV.

No, components and audio cables go directly to the TV. Optical cable for DD goes to the receiver.

When I get home I am going to swap out the component cables to see if the cables are bad, but I am wondering if the receiver's inputs are shot.
RCA jacks are relatively immune to abuse. Note that you're talking about outputs, not inputs.

There's really no point getting excited until you've had a chance to swap the cabling out.

Switching the order of the cables should help you isolate a problem with the cabling as well. The luminance information comes on the green output so I'd be looking there first if you're losing picture altogether.

RCA jacks are relatively immune to abuse. Note that you're talking about outputs, not inputs.

There's really no point getting excited until you've had a chance to swap the cabling out.

Switching the order of the cables should help you isolate a problem with the cabling as well. The luminance information comes on the green output so I'd be looking there first if you're losing picture altogether.

So you're saying that the cables can't go bad? Or the inputs on the back of the box?

I think it is the green cable that I move to make the picture come/go.... so that could very well be the case.

So you're saying that the cables can't go bad?
I said that the RCA jacks are unlikely to go bad so the problem is most likely with the cables
Or the inputs on the back of the box?
I also said that we shouldn't call outputs "inputs" anymore.
I think it is the green cable that I move to make the picture come/go.... so that could very well be the case.
As I said, until you carefully test the cabling, you're wasting a lot of time theorizing about the receiver being blown up.

So it was the component cables that were bad. I replaced them and everything seems to be OK. Thanks for everyone's help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)