HR-20 - Bottom Line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

devans175

Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Perry Hall, MD
What's the bottom line on the HR-20 HD DVR? I have a Phillips DSR 7000 Tivo box that works great. I also have an R-15 that is sub-par. I can't filter out repeats and it locks up on occasion. I want to upgrade to a HD DVR. Should I give DirecTV one last chance or should I switch to...... God forbid!!!!.... cable TV:(. I loved DirecTV until they ditched Tivo. I just hate the idea of getting into them for more money if I'm going to have to ditch them....

Also, any idea when I might actually be able to get an HR-20???

Any advice??

I certainly have my opinion but from what I can summarize from the various forums is that WHEN the HR20 works, it works well and is very well liked. When it does not, it spews the nastiest primordal venom out of people.

I personally like the unit and have had a Tivo unit since 99 and 2 HR10's. Mine has been rock solid with only a few minor hiccups in the past 2 months. I think if you dont mind the navigation on the R15 then it CAN be a welcome addition to your house. I actually like the navigation and it has done a bang up job recording everything it was asked. If you cant stand the R15 navigation, its not going to make you any happier. If you are a major Tivo lover, you might want to find a used HR10 on ebay.

Nicely put Brewer4!!!

BTW: For you hardcore HR10-250 People. I have a LNIB HDTivo I need to get rid of. I love my HR20!!! The HDTivo was only used for 2 months, then I packed it up because I remodel my Play room. By the time I finish remodeling the HR20 released and I bought it. So this unit is practically new! PM me for a very LOW LOW price!!!

Last edited:
Not a hard core Tivo User

Thank you for your response. I'm not really a hard core Tivo user, but I really feel that it was a major screw-up to put out the R-15 when it had a major programming flaw. It will not filter out repeats, even though the GUI allows you to set it to do so. DirecTV tech support admits to the issue, but can't narrow down the timeline for the fix to anything more specific that "2007". If the HR-20 has the same problem, I don't want it. From what I've read on the forum, the locking up issue is hit or miss, but what about the "repeat" issue? Does this problem exist with the HR-20?

Thank you for your response. I'm not really a hard core Tivo user, but I really feel that it was a major screw-up to put out the R-15 when it had a major programming flaw. It will not filter out repeats, even though the GUI allows you to set it to do so. DirecTV tech support admits to the issue, but can't narrow down the timeline for the fix to anything more specific that "2007". If the HR-20 has the same problem, I don't want it. From what I've read on the forum, the locking up issue is hit or miss, but what about the "repeat" issue? Does this problem exist with the HR-20?

Really depends on the guide data kinda like Tivo. I have several series links setup for programs that are on multiple times during the week and it only records the first showing it can. It ignores the rest. But for things like John Stewart on Comedy Central I believe a manual recording is best. I had to do the same thing on my Tivo's with certain shows like that. I can't speak for the R15 but the HR20 at least seems to handle first runs just fine, assuming good guide data.

As for my bottom line, I've had an HR20 for about 2 months now with only minor issues. It's been very solid. But there are some bugs with it and some people have nothing but trouble with it. I personally don't have MPEG4 locals and I don't use HDMI. Both are linked to quite a few of the problems, but not all. But know that DirecTV has issued several updates and they are working to fix the bugs for the people that have them.

I'd say if you are leary about it, give it another month or two and see where the stability is at. If you do get it, *don't* get rid of your Tivo just yet. Use it to record anything critical until you feel you can trust the HR20.

But for things like John Stewart on Comedy Central I believe a manual recording is best. I had to do the same thing on my Tivo's with certain shows like that. I can't speak for the R15 but the HR20 at least seems to handle first runs just fine, assuming good guide data.

Yep repeats are all about the guide data and what is known as repeats or first runs. I had the same issue with Dish 942 unit and Windows Media Center. The guide was not differentiating for The Daily Show. So no matter what service, you end up with repeats. Its a source issue from Viacom or whoever is providing the program info.

As for the HR20, I've had great success with it knowing when to record and when not to. It differentiates repeats from the guide data and does a good job recording everything I want. I know some folks have had issues with recording but my unit has done all the exact recording I setup as my season passes.

I'd say if you are leary about it, give it another month or two and see where the stability is at. If you do get it, *don't* get rid of your Tivo just yet. Use it to record anything critical until you feel you can trust the HR20.

Another good point. I kept my HR20's intact and had some dual simultaneous recording to HR10 and HR20's just in case. Now that I am a few months into unit, I feel its reliable. But knowing this was brand new technology and unproven, I chose not to take a chance. My exact TV watching is important to me and not worth the chance on anything even if a new Tivo unit came along. I would go with a dual backup scenario just in case.

I think alot of what you read as frustrations are some seriously bad units out there and folks that understandably relied on the HR20 from the get go. They should'nt have to think twice about reliablilty but the truth is, anything new requires some caution. DVR's especially HD DVR's with MPEG4 and by a group other than Tivo is still in its infancy. That being said, I think this unit is a winner. Not perfect and certainly can use some bug flushing but I think its a good step in the right direction for D*.

Last edited:
Another good point. I kept my HR20's intact and had some dual simultaneous recording to HR10 and HR20's just in case. Now that I am a few months into unit, I feel its reliable. But knowing this was brand new technology and unproven, I chose not to take a chance. My exact TV watching is important to me and not worth the chance on anything even if a new Tivo unit came along. I would go with a dual backup scenario just in case.

I think alot of what you read as frustrations are some seriously bad units out there and folks that understandably relied on the HR20 from the get go. They should'nt have to think twice about reliablilty but the truth is, anything new requires some caution. DVR's especially HD DVR's with MPEG4 and by a group other than Tivo is still in its infancy. That being said, I think this unit is a winner. Not perfect and certainly can use some bug flushing but I think its a good step in the right direction for D*.

I think that MPEG4 is responsible for a lot of the issues with the HR20-700, D* is working to update all these issues as quickly as they can.
I am glad to see they are responding to peoples concerns and at a decient pace too.

Jimbo

I want to upgrade to a HD DVR. Should I give DirecTV one last chance.
I see it as now that dtv hddvr is out, you shouldn't regret it
they have a higher probability by far off working out the *ish imho
unless your a *ishiot you should be very pleased, which i think your not cause there not even mentioned in op:)
best hddvr on the market right and probably for awhile imho
:welcome to satguys :welcome

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who posted. I guess I'll give D* on more try.:) I hope I can get the HR-20 by X-mass. My new Plasma looks pretty bad with the analog signal from my old Phillips DSR 7000.

FYI. I understand that any box will be dependent on the guide data to filter out repeats, my real concern is that the HR-20 will act like the R-15 I have. It records absolutly every program of any series, repeat or not.... even on the major networks.:mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Two HR20's with no response to the Remote!

Program and channel number do not match on DVR Recording

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)