HR-21: Serious Problems / Several Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

babylon5fan

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Explanation of Problem: My receiver refuses to display my HD channels in anything but 480p. I have a 200 dollar credit on my account. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket special offer and I have all Premium channels. I have the HD Extra package.

There is no way that I shouldn't be able to see my HD channels but I cannot. It is like the receiver reverted to being a SD receiver and cannot get itself corrected no matter how many times they send the refresh. I did the "reset everything" and the problem continues to get worse.

More Information (Kinda the same problem as above with more explanation): My HD DVR Receiver (HR21) weathered the remnants of Hurricane Hanna just fine. I went out for a few hours and when I returned I had searching satellite on that receiver. My other non-HD receivers have no problems. It appeared that I could get all my channels. It was after a couple resets at the direction of a DirecTV tech that I got my service back. It was late at night and I didn't investigate any further.
The next day, I tried to watch the NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels. They were there, but my receiver would only display them in 480p and not 1080i. When I was told by the new tech to check The Weather Channel HD, I got the error that I wasn't programmed or paying for that channel. The tech tried to reset the information and decided that I had to do a "Reset Everything." So, I watched all that I had recorded and then reset the receiver. When it came back, I still had the same issue. Then, I called DirecTV back and they scheduled a service call for Sunday (9/14/2008).

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Try turning the unit off them physically unplug the power to the unit - wait 1 full minute - then replug the unit in and go through "normal" startup. Sometimes, crap gets in the memory cache and this clears the cache.

Trying another power off

I'll try it right now! I'll be right back after it comes up.

In the main menu, select setup, then hdtv. Go to the tab tv resolutions and see if all resolutions are enabled. If noy, turn them on. You might want to turn the native mode on as well.

Sill the same

Try turning the unit off them physically unplug the power to the unit - wait 1 full minute - then replug the unit in and go through "normal" startup. Sometimes, crap gets in the memory cache and this clears the cache.

It didn't make a difference. Sill the same symptoms.:mad:

Have others reported this. Could the dish be off just enough to cause this?

I told company sending the tech to tell him to bring an extra long ladder in order to go up on my house to check the dish. They probably won't bring one. They usually send guys out without any special items. I told them to bring another receiver, too!

In the main menu, select setup, then hdtv. Go to the tab tv resolutions and see if all resolutions are enabled. If noy, turn them on. You might want to turn the native mode on as well.

I've been through those settings again and again. It doesn't make a difference. I haven't checked my satellite readings. I can't fix them anyway. I'll watch the tech closely when he is here.

When you turn to a hd channel, are you watching the sd duplicate? I mean, is your hd programming even in the receiver. If you turn to hd weather channel and get a 721, you might just call D* to reauthorize your hd programming to the rec'r.

SD Duplicates are no shown in Guide.

When you turn to a hd channel, are you watching the sd duplicate? I mean, is your hd programming even in the receiver. If you turn to hd weather channel and get a 721, you might just call D* to reauthorize your hd programming to the rec'r.

I went through all that. They tried to reset my systems several times to no avail. I know I'm not looking at the SD duplicate. They don't display; I turned them off so they wouldn't appear. The ONLY channel that comes in HD is UHD. Don't know why. For every other HD channel, the receiver switches to 480p and won't budge no matter how many times I press Format on the remote or press the Format button on front of the receiver.

I went through all that. They tried to reset my systems several times to no avail. I know I'm not looking at the SD duplicate. They don't display; I turned them off so they wouldn't appear. The ONLY channel that comes in HD is UHD. Don't know why. For every other HD channel, the receiver switches to 480p and won't budge no matter how many times I press Format on the remote or press the Format button on front of the receiver.

What happens when you turn everything other than 1080i and 720p OFF in the settings ?
btw, first thing you want to do is check your signal strength's what do you show on the 99 and 103 sats.
It could be that the LNB needs to be slightly tweaked for the HD channels (99 and 103).

Jimbo

What happens when you turn everything other than 1080i and 720p OFF in the settings ?
btw, first thing you want to do is check your signal strength's what do you show on the 99 and 103 sats.
It could be that the LNB needs to be slightly tweaked for the HD channels (99 and 103).

Jimbo

I have always had it set up to display only in 1080i. Doesn't make a difference. Still pops back to 420p. I guess I'll know the real issue hopefully in the next 12 hours when the tech comes out.

All is well!! Woo!! Hoo!!

Hello,

DirecTV came out and after a couple minutes of convincing the tech I had done everything possible to get all my programming back, he replaced the receiver. He stated that all the signals were very strong from the satellite and that they wee some of the best he'd ever seen.

ALL IS WELL AGAIN!! HD is in 1080i and looking beautiful!!!
:D

Thanks to everyone for trying to help but it was the receiver!!

The tech replaced a HR21-700 with a HR21-200. Is there any problem with that? Should I expect problems with that model?:confused:

-Will-

Explanation of Problem: My receiver refuses to display my HD channels in anything but 480p. I have a 200 dollar credit on my account. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket special offer and I have all Premium channels. I have the HD Extra package.

There is no way that I shouldn't be able to see my HD channels but I cannot. It is like the receiver reverted to being a SD receiver and cannot get itself corrected no matter how many times they send the refresh. I did the "reset everything" and the problem continues to get worse.

More Information (Kinda the same problem as above with more explanation): My HD DVR Receiver (HR21) weathered the remnants of Hurricane Hanna just fine. I went out for a few hours and when I returned I had searching satellite on that receiver. My other non-HD receivers have no problems. It appeared that I could get all my channels. It was after a couple resets at the direction of a DirecTV tech that I got my service back. It was late at night and I didn't investigate any further.
The next day, I tried to watch the NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels. They were there, but my receiver would only display them in 480p and not 1080i. When I was told by the new tech to check The Weather Channel HD, I got the error that I wasn't programmed or paying for that channel. The tech tried to reset the information and decided that I had to do a "Reset Everything." So, I watched all that I had recorded and then reset the receiver. When it came back, I still had the same issue. Then, I called DirecTV back and they scheduled a service call for Sunday (9/14/2008).

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts