Hr-22 and Windows Media Center

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

willywonkaisrsh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
North Carolina
Wanted to know if once my HR-22 is hooked up to my home network if I can use Windows Media Center to watch Direct on my PC? Dont care about the TV2PC software.

Also, how do you access pictures, audio, and video off my PC on the HR-22 and what video formates does it support?

The only way to use the ethernet connection to view content is via MRV or the DirecTV2PC, which you say you don't want. The only other way to get content out of the box is to use HDMI/component/composite outputs and feed it into a capture card on your PC.

Perhaps if the OP would share their goal as opposed to fleeting thoughts about how they might reach their goal, we could be of more help.

The only way to use the ethernet connection to view content is via MRV or the DirecTV2PC, which you say you don't want. The only other way to get content out of the box is to use HDMI/component/composite outputs and feed it into a capture card on your PC.
Now if there were to be a Media Center plugin to present directv2pc to the tv, I would think that would solve his needs and mine. :cool:

Wanted to know if once my HR-22 is hooked up to my home network if I can use Windows Media Center to watch Direct on my PC? Dont care about the TV2PC software.

Also, how do you access pictures, audio, and video off my PC on the HR-22 and what video formates does it support?

As for watching Directv on your PC with out TV2PC not possible yet that I am aware. As for Pictures, Audio and Video it is possible by doing what this link tells you to you will be fine(Discussion Forum) As for formats Video is MPEG2, MP3 and I believe JPEG. I have done video and music without issue.

I can't see any reason whatsoever why the OP doesn't want to use Directv2pc. It works pretty well and is very user friendly. If he can use Windows Media Player, why not use Directv2pc ?

I can't see any reason whatsoever why the OP doesn't want to use Directv2pc. It works pretty well and is very user friendly. If he can use Windows Media Player, why not use Directv2pc ?

Can you use a remote for directv2pc?

To address the OP's other question, you need to run a media server, such as WMP11, Viiv, Playon or Tversity. Only MPEG2 is supported natively, others will need to be converted if the server cannot transcode them.

To address the OP's other question, you need to run a media server, such as WMP11, Viiv, Playon or Tversity. Only MPEG2 is supported natively, others will need to be converted if the server cannot transcode them.
I got Windows 7 Ultimate (free to ALL for a year) with DIVX 7 (free) installed that serves MKV, M2TS, MP4, etc to XBOX 360 as a media center extender. No need to convert.

I got Windows 7 Ultimate (free to ALL for a year) with DIVX 7 (free) installed that serves MKV, M2TS, MP4, etc to XBOX 360 as a media center extender. No need to convert.

Dude, I also have Windows 7 and would LOVE to be able to watch MKV files over my network, off my PC, on my TV. I have been looking for a way to do so for awhile. Are you telling me this is possible with Windows 7, Divx, and my HR-22 hooked to my network?

Dude, I also have Windows 7 and would LOVE to be able to watch MKV files over my network, off my PC, on my TV. I have been looking for a way to do so for awhile. Are you telling me this is possible with Windows 7, Divx, and my HR-22 hooked to my network?
Take the HR-22 out of the equation.
Of course Win7 Media Center can play MKVs as every previous Media Center can with the right codec pack installed. The game changer is that Win7 now has native x264 support and DIVX 7 allows Win7 to present it to the 360 correctly (only under the media center extender app). Win7 may do this without DIVX 7 in the future but it needs it for now.
Another great add-on for MCE is SecondRun.tv - Internet TV Plug-In for Windows Media Center - SecondRun Home Page which allows you to view lots of internet video content on both MC and MCE.
Have fun with it. :up

Are you confirming that what the OP is angling at can't be done?

Do you not have enough information?
Read twice, post once but in your case, you should probably take a break from posting for a while.
It is pretty clear by post in this thread by Big Dawg 32 and Bob Nielsen what the HR2x can play back (psst, it's mpeg2 or you'll need to transcode). My post was just what he or anyone could do with Win7 and a 360 (as an additional option), that's why I said "take the HR2x out of the equation" in the first line of my post.
And yes I have enough information. You, on the other hand seem very confused.

Take the HR-22 out of the equation.
Of course Win7 Media Center can play MKVs as every previous Media Center can with the right codec pack installed. The game changer is that Win7 now has native x264 support and DIVX 7 allows Win7 to present it to the 360 correctly (only under the media center extender app). Win7 may do this without DIVX 7 in the future but it needs it for now.
Another great add-on for MCE is SecondRun.tv - Internet TV Plug-In for Windows Media Center - SecondRun Home Page which allows you to view lots of internet video content on both MC and MCE.
Have fun with it. :up

Thanks for the response man. Forgive me for not being clear and my very little knowledge on media extenders, but.... I know that I can play MKV files on my PC with no problem, so does that mean that what every file's I can play on my PC I will be able to play off the HR-22 since it's networked to my PC? Or does the HR-22 only play files off the PC that it supports (mpeg2, mp3, jpeg) Does the XBOX 360 support MKV files? Is there any way to have the HR-22 support files that it currently doesn’t support (i.e. a software update or patch)?

Thanks in advance for dealing with my lame questions.

Thanks for the response man. Forgive me for not being clear and my very little knowledge on media extenders, but.... I know that I can play MKV files on my PC with no problem, so does that mean that what every file's I can play on my PC I will be able to play off the HR-22 since it's networked to my PC? Or does the HR-22 only play files off the PC that it supports (mpeg2, mp3, jpeg) Does the XBOX 360 support MKV files? Is there any way to have the HR-22 support files that it currently doesn’t support (i.e. a software update or patch)?

Thanks in advance for dealing with my lame questions.

The HR-22 only play files off the PC that it supports (mpeg2, mp3, jpeg) natively. As stated you could use tversity for transcoding though.

The XBOX 360 does not natively support MKV files (which is really just a wrapper) even though it supports x264 in mp4 format. So you couldn't play mkv files off a shared drive from 360 underneath the dashboard. But because Win7 and DIVX 7 present it to the media center extender in a way it can natively decode it works.

So NO media center extenders won't play everything the media center will play but since most MKVs are x264 it should play them fine. Now I am no expert and haven't done extensive testing with the different ways some encode to MKV the majority I make or otherwise get are all playing fine.

Software wise the HR2x could be updated with additional playback capabilities. I don't know why the mpeg4 chip couldn't handle x264 that is in most MKVs. There are some experts on the forum that should know precisely what chips are used in hr2x and if they could handle the load.

Read twice, post once but in your case, you should probably take a break from posting for a while.
As the OP asked about media sharing the HR22 and you're going on about Windows 7 and the XBox360, it would seem:

1. you're not understanding the question
2. you've chosen to ignore it and tell a personal story of media sharing between devices not including the HR22
3. you're recommending that the OP forget about trying to make media share work with the HR22.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)