HR-23 Recording space/ Native Resolution question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasperk99

Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Yonkers,NY
I am new to directv; the installation went very well and I am mostly happy with everything so far; I am used to an HD Tivo Series 3 so the HR-23 will take some getting used to but I have say I have been pleasantly surprised so far.

My question is this: Under HDTV settings if I have native resolution off is Non -Hd being upconverted and thus taking up more recording space? I like this setting better as channel changes are much quicker; With native resolution on whenever you change the channel it takes so time to figure out what the native resolution before showing the picture. However I do record plenty of Non - HD channels and don't want to waste recording space if not neccessary.

My settings are currently: Native: On
Screen Format Pillar Box ( I don't like streching non -hd channels)

The setting of native on or off makes no difference in what's being recorded. All the setting does is allow the box to output it's signal to the TV at the same resolution as the channel it's tuned to.

You might want to check out Undocumented HD-DVR+ Tips & Tricks - DBSTalk.Com for some undocument tricks/tips for the HD DVR's. And if you haven't already make sure to connect it to your internet connection so you can make use of DirecTV on Demand.

I guess if you're not a big channel jumper it doesn't really matter but I can't stand Native being set to on because it's just too slow. To each his own

I agree. No native use here. This does not affect the recording space used but significantly speeds up use of the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)