HR-34 install - Please help the ignorant.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Propes

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Atlanta GA
I am sorry if the information is easily found somewhere on this forum. In a haste I decided to sign up for Direct TV because I believed their banner ad that said 12/31 was the last day to lock in the 29.99 price. I did not do much research before I made this decision. I had Dish Network about 14 years ago but I have been with Comcast Cable for the past 10 years. I am switching from Comcast because they are charging me about $50 per month lease fees to have 4 HD receivers. I am fairly technical but I have not payed any attention to Satellite technology since Dish released their 501 PVR and the first multiswitch.
I selected the new Home Media Center from Direct TV and 3 additional HD receivers for a total of 4 receivers. I am not sure what model my slave receivers will be all it says on my order is HD receiver. I have called Direct TV 4 times now and I can not get anyone helpful on the phone to provide any more detail. They keep telling me that the installer will have all the information I need.
I am concerned about the install which is scheduled for this Friday and was hoping someone could let me know what to expect. Mainly I want to know how may wires I am going to need to have run from the Sat. to the inside of my house. I have a three story house and my distribution room is not on an outside wall so running cables is going to be a difficult task. Currently I have two RG6 Cable runs that extend from the outside of my home into my distribution room. From that distribution room I have a separate Coax cables that runs to each of the 4 TV's that will have a receiver attached. I thought I had read on the forum somewhere that I would have to have four RG-6 runs from the outside of my house to the inside of my home with is going to be very difficult to do. Can someone give me an idea of what the wiring requirements will be for the HMC and 3 additional receivers?

Thanks,
William

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Don't worry, you are good to go. They will install a swm type lnb and dish which uses a single coax from the dish to the house. They need one cable to each additional tv you are connecting to. You already have all of this. They will most likely bring you H25 boxes for the extra televisions.

welcome :wave
I know folks have recieved H24 or H25 as the HD units. H25 is the small receiver whereas the H24 is like most receivers

You will only need one line from the dish to the splitter. The Hr34 (HMC) requires SWM setup which means Single Wire Multiswitch. So you only need one line from the dish to the splitter and then one cable from there to each receiver. Because you are at 8 tuners (5 on the HMC...3 on the HD receivers) you only need one cable from the dish. If you were above 8 tuners then yes you would need 4 lines from the dish

That is great news and I really appreciate the quick replies. I have been stressing over that all week. I wish I had read up on this forum earlier before I placed my order. I did not even know about the referal bonus. I may cancel my order this evening and order it again using a referral. I know that Frys is offering a $200 gift card if you buy a TV and DirectTV service and Best Buy is offering a $150 gift card if you spend $400. Are there any other deals I need to be aware of? I wanted to order through Sams because they have $10 per month for 12 months but they do not offer the HMC. Thanks again,
William

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)