HR10-250 v6.3 Announcement / Release (It's out now!!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I doubt the update is really coming. The announcement was forwarded and removed on the same day. People have stopped rumoring about it for the most part. And DirecTV retention CSR and retention management know nothing of the 6.3 update on the HR10-250, but they do know that the new DirecTV HD DVR is due out soon.

Do you guys think (I do) that the 6.2 upgrade is the logical thing for D* to do? After all of the HR10-250's they've been unloading if they don't there's gonna be alot of pissed off people calling to complain about how slow it is compared to all the D* SD Tivos that already have 6.2. Cust Retention might not know about it but I wonder about Tech Support??? Just a thought---Ray

I am not sure that most have issues with the speed. I have had the SD Tivo from the beginning, newer ones since then and the HR10-250 for almost 2 years now. I don't think the speed issue ever really go me going. I know that many can get use to the speed of one and expect the same from another but I am just not that certain that a huge percentage of HR10-250 users are pulling their hair out. I just usually sigh and tell my kids that the machine is working and joke to them that it may be awhile.

raymo721 said:
Do you guys think (I do) that the 6.2 upgrade is the logical thing for D* to do?
No, but only because it says that the HR10-250 will be receiving 6.3 software. ;)

Phone line

Will the only way to receive this upgrade be through having a phone line connected? I do not and wonder if there is still a way to get this quicker upgrade.

ehamilton said:
Will the only way to receive this upgrade be through having a phone line connected? I do not and wonder if there is still a way to get this quicker upgrade.
----------------
The update(whenever it comes) will come via the Sat. and pushed to your Hardrive. It is the Phone call that will authorize the program to install. The release
will be over a period of time to various markets. They may stop it if they get reports of problems with it and then correct it and finish it to other area's.
After a period of time(6 month's?), they will switch from the sat, stream to a phone
call method. Look for the msg "pending restart" or some such similar msg when
checking your version #.:eureka

D* has changed the page on its site since the early posts. Below is a cache of the old page (text only).

---------------------------
software_upgrade.jpg
Great news for customers with the DIRECTV® DVR!
Your 6.3 Software Upgrade is coming soon.

You don't need to do a thing. Just make sure your receiver is continuously connected to a land-based phone line and we'll do the rest!
YOUR DIRECTV DVR will soon be even better than before:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Find what you want faster. Navigate through your ON-SCREEN GUIDE more quickly than before. Plus, you'll be able to SEARCH faster for your favorites.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Have more control. You can sort your NOW PLAYING LIST alphabetically or by date recorded.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Get more organized. Our new FOLDERS feature lets you group similar programs in folders for easy reference and retrieval. Some examples:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
now_playing_list.jpg
spacer.gif
folder_plain.gif
Each TV series with more than one recorded episode.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
folder_star.gif
Each WishList® search with a recorded program.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
folder_thumbsup.gif
TiVo® Suggestions.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Have questions about your upgrade? We've got the answers.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
What do I need to do to receive my upgrade?
Nothing! Just make sure your DIRECTV DVR is continuously connected to your land-based phone line and you will receive the upgrade automatically.

When will I receive my upgrade?
The 6.3 software upgrade will roll out over a period of several weeks. Customers with more than one DIRECTV HD DVR may receive their upgrades at different times for each receiver. We appreciate your patience while we deliver these new and improved features to eligible DIRECTV HD DVR customers nationwide.

Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?
No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R and HUGHES GXCEBOT will not receive the 6.3 software upgrade. Other models received a similar upgrade, 6.2, in the past.

I have a DIRECTV R10 DVR with 6.1 software. Will I receive this upgrade?
No. The 6.1 software on the DIRECTV R10 DVR already includes the 6.2 features such as folders and faster menu scrolling.

Will any of my DVR settings be changed as a result of the upgrade?
Yes, some of your settings or preferences will be changed back to the factory default settings as a result of the upgrade. These include: "Favorite Channels," "Channels You Receive," "Spending Limits" and "Clear Channel Banner Quickly."

To change Channel Banners, Channels You Receive and Favorite Channels preferences:
1. Select "Messages and Setup"
2. Select "Settings"
3. Select "Channels"

To change Spending Limits:
1. Select "Messages and Setup"
2. Select "Settings"
3. Select "Parental Control"

Will I be charged for this upgrade?
No. We're upgrading your DIRECTV HD DVR as part of your normal DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo® service at no additional cost.

What happens if I don't have my phone line plugged into my DIRECTV DVR?
You will not be able to receive the upgrade if your DIRECTV DVR is not connected to your phone line. To install the upgrade, your receiver must successfully make a call to our servers.

How will I know when I have received my upgrade?
You'll receive an on-screen message the first time you visit DIRECTV Central after your upgrade is complete. It will also appear in your Messages section. You can also check your System Information screen to find out which software version you currently have.

Will the download delete any of my currently saved programs?
No. All of your saved programs will still be there for your enjoyment after the installation.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Once your upgrade is complete...
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
How do I activate the Grouping (folders) option?
1. Go to your Now Playing List.
2. Press Enter on your remote control.
3. Change groups to ON.

SHORTCUT HINT: While viewing your Now Playing List, press number 2 on your remote control and your Now Playing List will change from the GROUPS view to show each individual recording. Press 2 again and it will switch back to the GROUPS option.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
How do I sort alphabetically instead of by date recorded?
1. Go to your Now Playing List.
2. Press Enter on your remote control.
3. Change sorting option to Alphabetical.

SHORTCUT HINT: While viewing your Now Playing List, press number 1 on your remote control and your Now Playing List will change from alphabetical to date sort. Press 1 again and it will switch back to alphabetical sort.

With this upgrade, will the HR10-250 receive the HD locals as well in South Florida that I now receive on my H20? I would like to get a DVR now, but don't want to lose the great HD picture I am getting on the H20.

No.

There is no possible software upgrade for the HR10-250 that will allow it to see the KA band (or is it KU), let alone software level decompress the MPEG-4 data stream.

You will need to wait till the HR20 is released.

This is assuming that you are getting your HD Locals from DirecTV, and not via an antenna (OTA). If it is OTA, then yep... you can use the HR10-250

mac1 said:
With this upgrade, will the HR10-250 receive the HD locals as well in South Florida that I now receive on my H20? I would like to get a DVR now, but don't want to lose the great HD picture I am getting on the H20.

The picture quality you can get with a OTA antenna is superior to directv's picture quality. I'm in Oakland Park and just recently put up a $30.00 channel master antenna that is relatively small and i get about 15-18 channels ( all the networks )
I didn't want to wait for the HR20-250 and received a HR10-250 free a few Weeks ago from Directv. :hatsoff:

johnml said:
The picture quality you can get with a OTA antenna is superior to directv's picture quality. I'm in Oakland Park and just recently put up a $30.00 channel master antenna that is relatively small and i get about 15-18 channels ( all the networks )
I didn't want to wait for the HR20-250 and received a HR10-250 free a few Weeks ago from Directv. :hatsoff:

Speak for yourself. I can only get 3 of the 4 major networks OTA with a LARGE ChannelMaster roofmount antenna even though they are all the same distance and direction. Rainfade with OTA is much worse than with satellite signals. I am looking forward to the HR20-250, despite it not being a TiVo.

Ted

ncted said:
Speak for yourself. I can only get 3 of the 4 major networks OTA with a LARGE ChannelMaster roofmount antenna even though they are all the same distance and direction. Rainfade with OTA is much worse than with satellite signals. I am looking forward to the HR20-250, despite it not being a TiVo.

Ted

Not sure on your distance from the towers but I know I don't have any rain fade on my OTA stations, here in Central Florida where we get our HEAVY daily downpours. I lose my satellite signal but not my OTA signals. I am about 40 miles from the antenna farm and get around 30 HD and digital stations.

If you are not far from an antenna and are using a roof mount antenna you may have some other issues with your antenna.
1. Bad connection somewhere on your coaxial cable.
2. Antenna aimed in the wrong direction.
3. If your coaxial lines are long, you may need to put an amplifier on them.
4. Here is one that plagued me for over a year, before I found it, on my master antenna system. I was constantly getting audio drop outs and pixelation on several local networks. I changed everything on my system and it made no difference. One day I thought, I hadn't changed the 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer on the antenna, and did so. It took care of the pixelation and audio drop outs, and increased my signal strength immensely.

ncted said:
Obviously everyone's situation is different. I have never had any issue with rain fade and OTA. During extremely high winds and hard rains when the satellite signal is non-existent, our OTA picture is still absolutely perfect. And we're over 40 miles from the towers...

Last summer we had all kinds of bad storms that knocked out the sat signal. We'd be fine with the OTA until the power would flicker, then the receiver was worthless because it couldn't get sat signal. Then we were SOL until the storm was over. We ended up adding battery backup to the receiver - now if we have a power flicker or short outage, we can continue watching OTA without the receiver re-starting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.