HR20-100 no longer picks up any signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

underscore

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
We have a 3.5 year old HR20-100 in the bedroom that only gets used at night.

A couple nights ago, it was stuck on the infamous 771 error for all channels (note we've had no trouble with other receivers in the house). A red button reboot cleared it up and all was fine.

This happened again the next two nights. Last night, the reboot didn't fix it, and the receiver couldn't even fully boot because it couldn't get a signal. I haven't yet checked the physical line due to the weather here the past few days. That's on my list today.

I've tried resending the receiver authorization. I've confirmed no cables inside the house are loose. This receiver does have a BBC that I'll try swapping out today to see if that's the issue.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, along the lines of this just being a hint that it's time for a new receiver? Or is it likely external to the receiver?

You may have an issue with the dvr, but first I would try swapping it with another dvr to see if it works there and if the other one has problems where the HR20-100 normally is.

Is there an external multiswitch being used?
If so, then bypass it as a test. And try using different outputs from it.
And hopefully you have two BBCs connected.

I hate to tell you that I replaced my HR20-100 late last year when it started to spontaneously reboot and go into the scan disk for errors.

Last edited:
That's the exact problem I had with my HR24 from day 1. It would lose signal(771) then come back on. It did that off and in for a week then lost the signal for good (771A). The tech ended up changing everything out but the dvr. The problem still happens sporadically. I'm getting a lot of audio glitches and pixelation/video freezes also.

I went to replace the BBC, and no sooner than I plugged in the other BBC, the receiver got a signal.

Strange thing is, I plugged the old BBC back in and it still worked.

So, I still don't know if it's the BBC or receiver. Has to be one of the two though.

I ordered a couple new BBCs from DirecTV (we'll see if I really have to wait 4-6 weeks), see if that does it.

If not, I have a friend who ended 10 years with DirecTV due to three consecutive messed up repair appointments has a few receivers lying around.

One point of clarity...I posted it was a HR20...it's an H20.

Also it appears the microwave oven also affects the receiver as well. Both the microwave and receiver have been in the same place for about 2 years. The other receiver (HR22) is even closer to the microwave with no problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)