Another MRV question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

milleruszk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
NJ
I am about to switch to Direct TV from Dish. I have 3 HD TVs and one SD. So I would get one MRV, 2 HD recievers and 1 SD receiver. If I am recording can I still watch live TV on all of the TVs? In other words if I am recording one show or two shows will I be able to watch live TV on all of my sets at the same time? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks.

Recording on the DVR will have no effect on your ability to watch live TV on any of the non-DVR sets. If you're recording 1 show on the DVR, you can still watch something else. If you're recording 2 things on the DVR, you can only watch something already recorded or one of the things you're recording, as there are 2 tuners available in the DVR.

also note if you want to watch recorded shows from other rooms, you can only do one at a time
also, just get an hd unit for the sdtv, you need the hd unit for the mrv
with that many tvs id suggest 2 dvrs

also note if you want to watch recorded shows from other rooms, you can only do one at a time
also, just get an hd unit for the sdtv, you need the hd unit for the mrv
with that many tvs id suggest 2 dvrs

Very much agree with the 2 DVR suggestion! It will make things so much better.

Thanks for the replies. If I went with the 2 DVR suggestion what would the extra monthly charge be for the 2nd DVR vs an HD receiver? I don't record that many programs. If I understand the MRV setup correctly, if my living room TV is directly connected to the DVR and the recorder is in use I cannot watch live TV on that TV. Correct? Also I could record two programs at once on that DVR. Right?

Costco offers a $180.00 gift card by subscribing to Direct through them. I am going to do that this week as soon as I get all of my ducks in a row. Thanks for your help.

I also record only moderately and use the one DVR solution without issues:

Additional receivers are $6 /mo (+taxes)

You can still watch live TV from the main DVR while recording is happening.

Yes, you can record two show at once.

Thanks for the replies. If I went with the 2 DVR suggestion what would the extra monthly charge be for the 2nd DVR vs an HD receiver? I don't record that many programs. If I understand the MRV setup correctly, if my living room TV is directly connected to the DVR and the recorder is in use I cannot watch live TV on that TV. Correct? Also I could record two programs at once on that DVR. Right?

Costco offers a $180.00 gift card by subscribing to Direct through them. I am going to do that this week as soon as I get all of my ducks in a row. Thanks for your help.

The monthly charge would be the same whether it's a DVR or just a receiver. The DVR fee is per account not per unit.

Thanks for the replies. By these answers the 2nd DVR would be the same price as another HD receiver. Why would anyone with 4 TVs get only one DVR? I must be missing something? Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. By these answers the 2nd DVR would be the same price as another HD receiver. Why would anyone with 4 TVs get only one DVR? I must be missing something? Thanks.

Most people don't get just one DVR but the only reason I could think of is initial cost. Adding a second DVR will cost you $99, I believe. The monthly fee is the same as an HD receiver but the initial cost will be more.

with two dvr's, the whole house lets you watch anything recorded on either one in any room,right? also , one recording from each one on the other two hd receivers at the same time? do the dvr's allow you to watch two programs on a split screen like dish? may have to switch to get baseball in hd.

go for broke!! if you are going to pay the $99 upgrade get the second one DVR . then you will have 2 dvr to watch from each other and if you put a HD box on the SD tv you could do the MRV on every tv.

larryf said:
with two dvr's, the whole house lets you watch anything recorded on either one in any room,right? also , one recording from each one on the other two hd receivers at the same time? do the dvr's allow you to watch two programs on a split screen like dish? may have to switch to get baseball in hd.

No on the split screen. Any tv hooked up with mrv can watch any show recorded on any dvr.

Sent from my LG Optimus T using SatelliteGuys

Answered my own question.......The initial installation cost for the 2nd DVR is $199. vs $99.00 for the HD receiver. So the cost of having the second DVR will be an extra $100.

Answered my own question.......The initial installation cost for the 2nd DVR is $199. vs $99.00 for the HD receiver. So the cost of having the second DVR will be an extra $100.

I believe when I signed up, the first DVR was free and the second DVR was $99. The HD receivers were $99.00. Did that promotion end already?

Edit: Nope, the promotion is still there. Select the HD-DVRs first and then the other receivers.

If you get Choice Xtra you get a HD receiver and HD DVR free. If you do 2 DVR's its $99 for the 2nd DVR

Depending on where you live you might not pay extra for the HD receiver. All we install in this market where I live is HD, period. Even movers will get a free upgrade to a new HD receiver.

but the OP's location in his profile says "NJ"
There are only 2 local channel markets for the whole state...NYC & Philly so that point is moot.

The only markets where that applies are the smaller markets that are only on 99 or 103 (The HD sats) so the SD equipment doesnt work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts