HR20-700 DVR wont play a show while recording it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CRUZN8R

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Long Beach, WA
I usually record a favorite show and start it about 15 minutes into it so i can miss the commercials. Now i am starting to have problems, when i press play to start it i just get a black screen and no sound. I can FF and RW the time scale shows up but still no pic and video. I had it 3 months.

How do i troubleshoot?

Unfortunately, considering you get the 'time scale', it sounds like the hard drive is recording, but it is recording "nothing". Have you tried recording any other shows or channels?

I don't remember reading of this problem before, and I could certainly be wrong, but it sounds like the makings of hardware issues.

CRUZN8R,
Before you go to far, try doing a reboot using the menu's.
See if that clears your trouble, if not we can go from there.

Jimbo

I'm having the same issue. Just curious what program you were watching when you had the problem. Was it a FOX network? There is another thread on this issue here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/124562-hr-21-problems.html

Yes, it was American Idol on Fox. I have rebooted and the problem still happens intermittently. Some shows record OK, some do not. The shows that record all black have to be deleted.
I think it has only happened on Fox HD channel 13 from Seattle.

Yes, it was American Idol on Fox. I have rebooted and the problem still happens intermittently. Some shows record OK, some do not. The shows that record all black have to be deleted.
I think it has only happened on Fox HD channel 13 from Seattle.

Can this possibly be a local problem ? maybe the feed to D* ?
Have you talked with other sat friends and see if they were experiencing the same problem, I know it sounds like a stretch, but you never know.

Could be the rec. , but if it was it would not only happen on one channel.

Jimbo

I do have a seagate external eSATA 750 GIG drive on this DVR,,but why only an issue recording on FOX. I do not think it is the drive.

When the problem happens there is a long delay with a black screen after I pressed play, it is really sluggish to even show the time scale or try to FF or REW, the time scale usually stays at zero when I try to FF.

I also have a HR20-100S in the same house setup to record Idol, and it has never had this issue.

I do have a seagate external eSATA 750 GIG drive on this DVR,,but why only an issue recording on FOX. I do not think it is the drive.

When the problem happens there is a long delay with a black screen after I pressed play, it is really sluggish to even show the time scale or try to FF or REW, the time scale usually stays at zero when I try to FF.

I also have a HR20-100S in the same house setup to record Idol, and it has never had this issue.

So when you record Idol, it will record on the HR20-100 but NOT the HR20-700 ?
And this is the only show or network that gives you trouble ....

I would try to duplicate this problem, particularlly if you can record o one, but not the other ...

This is interesting.

Jimbo

So when you record Idol, it will record on the HR20-100 but NOT the HR20-700 ?
And this is the only show or network that gives you trouble ....

I would try to duplicate this problem, particularlly if you can record o one, but not the other ...

This is interesting.

Jimbo

It is an intermittent problem, the last 2 weeks Idol recorded fine. I did have 2 new episodes recently recorded of "Back To You" on FOX that suffered this problem and I deleted them. I will setup both DVr's to record Back To You and see if i can catch it happen on one and not the other.

PS I have noticed that IDOL show ends recording too soon on the HR20-700 so I have it set to record 2 minutes after. Could there be a timing issue that messes up the program at start time? I will check both DVR clocks to see if they are both the same.

It is an intermittent problem, the last 2 weeks Idol recorded fine. I did have 2 new episodes recently recorded of "Back To You" on FOX that suffered this problem and I deleted them. I will setup both DVr's to record Back To You and see if i can catch it happen on one and not the other.

PS I have noticed that IDOL show ends recording too soon on the HR20-700 so I have it set to record 2 minutes after. Could there be a timing issue that messes up the program at start time? I will check both DVR clocks to see if they are both the same.

I have noticed that IDOL does not run on the normal time , it will often run a few minutes over into the next program, I'm sure the next program is thrilled with this.
It will end like 9:02 or something like that,but that should not matter to the HR20/21 as it picks up the show and would record the extra minutes unless there is a programming conflict.

Jimbo

They just delivered my 3rd receiver (2nd replacement). With the first replacement the problem with watching while recording seemed to go away but I had huge issues with slow response and some live and recorded shows just being a black screen. I have not hooked up the 3rd HR21-700 yet but I do not have high hopes for it at this time. This has been a very frustrating ordeal for both my wife and I. She is ready to pay the cancellation fee and move to a different provider.

EDIT: I have also noticed the issues with recordings starting late. If however you start to play your recorded show and hit rewind, it will back up to the actual beginning of the show.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.