HR20 Activation Fun & Games

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom B

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
New Jersey
I finally decided to make the leap to the HR20. (Though I love my HR10, I know with the new satellites on the way it's days are numbered.) Like many other people, I figure if I pay money for it, I should own it and not be under a lease. Also, I didn't want to lock in to another 2 year commitment. So, I bought a used HR20 off ebay rather than get one new from D*. (The auction on ebay said it was owned, not leased. I was a little skeptical...but, what the heck...)

Today my HR20 arrived and I called to activate it. The CSR said it there would be a 2 year commitment and it would be considered a leased unit. I said "no way" and explained how I got it. I was transfered to another department that would look up the background of my receiver. I was told that it was used on another account and that person was billed for a non-return charge. I said: "Then, my opinion is, too bad for that person...but, I own it now!" The D* rep couldn't argue with that logic and put me on hold for a long time. When she came back, I was told that I did indeed now own the receiver and there was no two year commitment. :D

(Plus, the card that came with it was brand new and was able to be used on my account...so they didn't even get to stick me for a new card!)

Consider your self lucky....
Any rec's bought are LEASED, all D* branded rec.'s are now leased, so if you buy one from somewhere, it is still a lease and the person selling it to you was suppose to return it to D*.

If you would like to buy one, it will cost approx $ 800, from D*.

Jimbo

What happens if this receivers dies on you? Will you then be required to purchase a new unit that you must lease from D*, therefor, potentially doubling your costs? Just wondering.

I was a bit surprised myself...but my logic was great. If someone else had already paid for the unit because they didn't return it, then D* didn't own it any longer. So, they can't lease to me something that they don't own. (I kinda expected them to turn around and say they wouldn't let me activate it...but it all worked out perfectly!)

I was a bit surprised myself...but my logic was great. If someone else had already paid for the unit because they didn't return it, then D* didn't own it any longer. So, they can't lease to me something that they don't own. (I kinda expected them to turn around and say they wouldn't let me activate it...but it all worked out perfectly!)

Actually, just because the guy didn't return it, doesn't mean you OWN it ....
It means the guys will have to probably pay the full price of the unit to get out of the deal.

I think it's still a lease unit.

Jimbo

I would check you account in a week to make sure they did not sneak in the 2 year commitment on you. Just because that is what they said does not mean that is what they did. Hopefully that is not the case.

I would check you account in a week to make sure they did not sneak in the 2 year commitment on you. Just because that is what they said does not mean that is what they did. Hopefully that is not the case.

Jag,
Where do you find that info ?
I was just on line with my account, it showed I have 1 leased and 1 addl rec., but I did not see where it said if I was on a two year commitment or not .....

Thanks,
Jimbo

I just checked my account. It was initially entered as leased. Then, the lease charge was credited back and it was in as an additional owned receiver.

Also, I noticed something interesting. Even though nothing else from D* is taxed in NJ, the lease charge has tax added to it. (So, I'll now be saving a big 35 cents per month!)

Actually, just because the guy didn't return it, doesn't mean you OWN it ....
It means the guys will have to probably pay the full price of the unit to get out of the deal.

I think it's still a lease unit.

Jimbo

What it means (and D* agreed with me) is that he was charged for it and, therefore, owned it. Then he sold his property to me.

Jag,
Where do you find that info ?
I was just on line with my account, it showed I have 1 leased and 1 addl rec., but I did not see where it said if I was on a two year commitment or not .....

Thanks,
Jimbo

When I was with D*, I could see it under what programming I had. It was on the left side of the screen. It may have changed since I left D* a year ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)