HR20 Features

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gen Custer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Everyone at DBStalk is gushing about the HR20 but it appears the only advantage to our trusty HDTIVOs is the ability to record MPEG4.

Subtracted Features
-No dual liver buffers-totally bogus that this is not implemented
-No TIVO Interface
-No OTA tuners out of the box (always skeptical with promised features and the ability to seamlessly incorporate them into a released product)

Missing upgraded features
-No MRV
-No Info over ethernet
-NO PIP
-No active external storage

What took them so damn long. This should be more of a revolutionary product and not a regressive one.

I guess I'll have to hang in here until TIVO is available with FIOS in my area.

I agree it should have been more of an advance but from what I read it does DVR well and its fast. Appears stable too so thats important they got that right.

The biggest disapointment I see is the OTA tuners not working out of the box. How long has the Dish 622 been out? It has had OTA working out of the box. It seems to me that the HD20 is being released unfinished which is unfortunate especially for as much as its been delayed, I would expect everything to work out of the box.

But if you get one you one thing to look forward to is the new features added by software updates. :)

just to let you know, I think two of your points need to come down under subtracted features, #1, yes the tivo is gone, but it was never really going to be there in the first place. and the second one I think needs to come down is OTA not available out of the box, as even Earl has said it will be there, the one he got dosent have it for some reason.

When was "TiVo" Interface a feature?

Anyway...
Items added:

-) MPEG-4 compatibility (no matter how you want to slice it, that is big difference)
-) Caller-ID
-) On-Screen Space Monitor
-) The Overall performance increases of the box
-) Folders (until 6.3 is release for the HR10-250)
-) Picture In Guide/Menu
-) Save PPV before purchasing (aka, you can record a PPV if you think it is intresting, without having to pay for it... then just pay for it when you want to watch it)
-) SATA Drive interface... opening the door for even the Announced 1TB Drive
-) Integrated RF Remote support (including the RF remote)
-) Interactive box (All the interactive features, including Super Fan)
-) ALL OUTPUTS working simultaneously (composite, component, HDMI)
-) 90 minute buffer (yes there is only one), with a fall back that if you pause a program, it will convert it to a saved program instead of flushing the buffer... and the buffer works while in standby mode
-) Single Click record settings

Some of the future features:
-) DirecTV2Go support
-) Single SAT singal feed for dual recording
-) External Storage via eSATA
-) The latest generation of ATSC tuners (yes they are disabled today)
-) Just the fact it has a wired ethernet that is powered... sure no features, but it is there.

Nah... nothing new to see here... move along now..

Sure the ATSC tuners not being enabled right now, is a negative.... but.....
Should have have sat on the box 3 more months? to enable a feature they can enable later with a software upgrade, where probably 75% of their initial target audience won't be using?

Last edited:
I got to admit if I was a DirecTV customer it would be an issue for me (The OTA tuners) as about 75% of what we watch is via OTA.

I like the PPV idea though. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I got to admit if I was a DirecTV customer it would be an issue for me (The OTA tuners) as about 75% of what we watch is via OTA.

I like the PPV idea though. :)

Don't get me wrong..
If you area doesn't have MPEG-4 locals yet... YAH!!! Very big issue.
But the initial market is LA, which has the Big 4 via SAT already.

Me here in Chicago, I missing three HD networks (and kinda sucks because I am White Sox fan, and two of those three carry home Sox games in HD).

But the bulk of my recording are via the big 4... so I will be able to "live" till they are enabled.

My 2 HR10's arent going anywhere so not big deal but should be avail out of box. There are a lot more channels OTA then the big 4. For markets like Hartford OTA is a big deal since only 2 are available MPEG4.

ebonovic said:
When was "TiVo" Interface a feature?Never said that it was an intended feature but it was a feature that was intentionally subtracted

Anyway...
Items added:

-) MPEG-4 compatibility (no matter how you want to slice it, that is big difference)
-) Caller-ID For those who still use a landline
-) On-Screen Space MonitorNot really a problem for me on the HR10
-) The Overall performance increases of the box6.3 will do the same
-) Picture In Guide/MenuHR10 has transparent guide over full screen video
-) Save PPV before purchasing (aka, you can record a PPV if you think it is intresting, without having to pay for it... then just pay for it when you want to watch it)Never purchase PPV
-) SATA Drive interface... opening the door for even the Announced 1TB DriveNot yet active
-) Interactive box (All the interactive features, including Super Fan)Gimmick, This is television-Interactive is what my laptop is for
-) ALL OUTPUTS working simultaneously (composite, component, HDMI)Average user hooks one STB to one TV
-) 90 minute buffer (yes there is only one), with a fall back that if you pause a program, it will convert it to a saved program instead of flushing the buffer... and the buffer works while in standby mode

-) DirecTV2Go supportWho wants HD on a 2 inch screen
-) Single SAT singal feed for dual recordingIf you Have an HR10 you have 2 lines to your STB and not enabled yet anyways
-) External Storage via eSATAnot enabled-wait till the DRM police kill this
-) The latest generation of ATSC tuners (yes they are disabled today)not enabbled yet
-) Just the fact it has a wired ethernet that is powered... sure no features, but it is there.Ditto

Should have have sat on the box 3 more months? to enable a feature they can enable later with a software upgrade, where probably 75% of their initial target audience won't be using?

They should have produced a stable box that has at least as many features as the previous box. You don't see apple regularly removing features as they upgrade their product line.

Just the fact that they dumped TIVO should have given them the drive to produce a box to blow away the previous generation HD DVR. This unit does not do this at this time.

I was looking forward to getting this unit in order to get the NY RSNs in HD. Given the feature set I can't justify getting these units and locking myself into another 2 year commitment while keeping my fingers crossed that they can improve the unit over this period. This would potentially lock me out of FIOS which should be here soon

Just my 0.02$

Earl actually your post makes 100% sense of why its being released in LA first, since MPEG4 locals are available in that area. I didn't think of it that way.

Here in Hartford we do have MPEG4 locals on DirecTV however they only carry 2 of the 4 networks.

Gen Custer said:
They should have produced a stable box that has at least as many features as the previous box. You don't see apple regularly removing features as they upgrade their product line.

Just the fact that they dumped TIVO should have given them the drive to produce a box to blow away the previous generation HD DVR. This unit does not do this at this time.

I was looking forward to getting this unit in order to get the NY RSNs in HD. Given the feature set I can't justify getting these units and locking myself into another 2 year commitment while keeping my fingers crossed that they can improve the unit over this period. This would potentially lock me out of FIOS which should be here soon

Just my 0.02$

In my Mind This is Directvs first HD DVr, so I thinik they are doing quite well, and by the way, good posts for discussion!

Maybe there is some pending threat over OTA HD recording they are waiting out? The DishNetwork DNS issue going on brings this to my mind. Hell, just google using some of these keywords: network/sue/NAB/affiliates/DVR.

Last edited:
Since Earl's box was released to him before the general public, it is understandable that there are key features not yet working. That's why it isn't available nationwide.

I'd bet the OTA tuners will be active either with the launch in LA or, at the latest, when it becomes available to users outside of SoCal.

My burning question is...what configurations will be allowed to utilize the tuners? Will you be able to record 3 programs and watch live TV or will this box come with the same limitations as the 10-250?

Scott Greczkowski said:
It seems to me that the HD20 is being released unfinished which is unfortunate especially for as much as its been delayed, I would expect everything to work out of the box.

Scott, since you're a E* customer I would have thought you would expect new hardware to function like this by now;)

Having been a DISH customer and experienced the release of the 921 with the promised fatures being removed (firewire ports) from hardware and the nonsense charlie pulls with programming (No compelling HD and no YES network to this day), I thought I had found a provider that both had a solid hardware platform (TIVO DVRs) and solid market leading content.

Then Rupert buys Directv and goodbye TIVO, Hello market trailing HD content (charlie pulled 29 channels out of his ass) buggy DVRs (R15) and now a regressive HD DVR in may areas. It seems like the new Directv is a lot more like the old DISH network.

Maybe this is the real evidence that a merger is in the works

With Cable getting customers back with triple play packages you'd expect that Directv would have to have a killer DVR product to keep people from straying. Especially since directv won't be able to compete on the content sided until the new satellites go uo next year. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the series 3 tivo comes out as well as TIVO in cable dvrs and FIOS dvrs.

Directv needed to hit a homerun with this box and its seems like they merely hit a sharp single to center. Not bad but it doesn't put a run on the board.

Last edited:
ebonovic said:
When was "TiVo" Interface a feature?

Anyway...
Items added:

-) Caller-ID
-) On-Screen Space Monitor
-) The Overall performance increases of the box
-) Picture In Guide/Menu
-) Save PPV before purchasing (aka, you can record a PPV if you think it is intresting, without having to pay for it... then just pay for it when you want to watch it)
-) SATA Drive interface... opening the door for even the Announced 1TB Drive
-) Interactive box (All the interactive features, including Super Fan)
-) ALL OUTPUTS working simultaneously (composite, component, HDMI)

-) DirecTV2Go support
-) Single SAT singal feed for dual recording
-) External Storage via eSATA
-) The latest generation of ATSC tuners (yes they are disabled today)
-) Just the fact it has a wired ethernet that is powered... sure no features, but it is there.

As confirmed today by Corp Earl is an OFFICIAL BETA TESTER.... yet will not admit it. As was told to me and 2 others today, Beta Testers can only not tell company secrets, they are not bound to not reveal being beta testers.

His answer to why no dual live buffers, there box. yack yack .....

No excuse, it seems bean counters and electro wizzes are running the asylum where common sense is out to lunch.

Release new generation with sae features as past and add on more, do not release new ones, while subtracting others.

The real reason dvr lacks dual live buffers is because DirecTV wants to control both tuners ANY TIME OF DAY instead of using only 1 in the wee hours, so we could have dual available during day.

Directv too lazy to have not wrote the software for mpeg2/4 ota locals yet ?

Still having Series Link Limit at 50..

We can now make multiple Links, BUT NOW We will hit the 50limit faster, because too underpowered to have a liit of 100 or higher, and or have 1 series link per show and we determine what channels it can and cant recordit on.

Also, why the secrecy of the initial software and the version it loaded upon launch ?

why not a full 2 weeks guide data to do list available ?

why no softare notes on each reciever sent by the message ?

why not use the FULL guide and have more info on tv shows ... year actors & first air date ?

recording history with detailed reason why show did not record ?

a want list ame as wish list on tivo ?

and much more

Boy....

Sure seems like there's a few more beta testers than Earl. What, with all the firsthand knowledge of what a POS this new receiver is without ever having used it. Oh I see, glass is half empty isn't it? I sure wish I could be that enlightened by counting pixels on a screen....:confused:

Earl, nice review. The box looks promising.

mechman

PS. wes, take a grammar course or something. I cannot understand what you are trying to articulate! Reminds me of Johnny Depp telling Mike TeaVee "Once again, you really shouldn't mumble, 'cause it's really starting to bum me out!" in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)