HR20: HDMI not working with no service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lagman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
All,

I just moved and am waiting for D* to come and install my dish. I hooked up my HR20-700 to my TV and turned it on and noticed the HDMI output doesen't work (Component out does work). All I see is static on the HDMI output. Is this normal? I figured maybe the HDMI output may not work until the satellite is hooked up.

Thanks,
Dan

Just out of curiousity, is it hooked up to a Samsung TV? As a technician myself, I run into this problem frequently on the job. It's always fun explaining to the customer that their brand new TV isn't compatible using the HDMI port on their DVR... as you can imagine ;)

No its a sharp Aquos. Before we moved (and when we had the dish hooked up) it worked fine.

I did try that but it didn't help. Before we moved, the TV I have was able to handle all of the resolution settings.

FYI, I had a HR20-700 that did the exact same thing. Ended up getting a replacement and then it worked fine. One tip that someone did give was that before you plug/unplug the HDMI cable, make sure you power off the receiver.

If anyone out there with a HR20-700 using the HDMI port can try this for me I'd greatly appreciate it:

1. Turn off and unplug power to your box.
2. Unplug the coax coming in from the satellite.
3 Plug in the power cable and turn on your box.

Does the HDMI port put out any video at all, or do you see snow/static?

Thanks,
Dan

Problem fixed here

I had an H20-100S installed yesterday. HDMI wigged out after a few minutes. Tech blamed it on Samsung. Nasty CSR blamed it on Samsung. too. Works fine with Dish 622HZ and my Panasonic DVD player.

Later I checked the boxes output settings Both 480i and 1080i were checked. Disabled 480i and all is now fine.

Remember the Customer is ALWAYS wrong!

Just out of curiousity, is it hooked up to a Samsung TV? As a technician myself, I run into this problem frequently on the job. It's always fun explaining to the customer that their brand new TV isn't compatible using the HDMI port on their DVR... as you can imagine ;)

Huh? HDMI from my HR20 works perfectly on my Samsung TV....

I had an H20-100S installed yesterday. HDMI wigged out after a few minutes. Tech blamed it on Samsung. Nasty CSR blamed it on Samsung. too. Works fine with Dish 622HZ and my Panasonic DVD player.

Later I checked the boxes output settings Both 480i and 1080i were checked. Disabled 480i and all is now fine.

Remember the Customer is ALWAYS wrong!

Well, now that is correct - the new Samsung's - at least the 1080p models - will not support 480i, only 480p. Then again, why would you want to support 480i?

The problem I had when hooking up my replacement HR20 that was connected HDMI to my Samsung was that I couldn't see anything because it defaulted to 480i and I couldn't get it out of that format. Not even pushing the format button on the front of the HR20 worked. Luckily I'm also running another TV suing the same DVR with component cables so I had to use that TV to set it up and get it out of 480i.

My installer said HDMI wouldn't work because I had a Samsung. B. S. Try going into Setup and look what the selections are for what your display can show. My installer had checked 480p and 1080i. I un-selected 480p and now HDMI works fine. Select 1080i only. I also have the Native setting set off OFF and make sure the front panel light is always on 1080i.

My installer said HDMI wouldn't work because I had a Samsung. B. S. Try going into Setup and look what the selections are for what your display can show. My installer had checked 480p and 1080i. I un-selected 480p and now HDMI works fine. Select 1080i only. I also have the Native setting set off OFF and make sure the front panel light is always on 1080i.

Maybe it depends on the model, but on mine 480p works perfectly - 480i does not, however...

I mistyped

Well, now that is correct - the new Samsung's - at least the 1080p models - will not support 480i, only 480p. Then again, why would you want to support 480i?

Just checked. The installer checked 480"p" and 1080i. When 480p was unselected the box has done HDMI w/o problem for a week.

Huh? HDMI from my HR20 works perfectly on my Samsung TV....

HDMI works fine on just about all Samsung TVs, if you remove 480i as a supported resolution in your receiver's menu. Most Samsung Tvs don't support 480i over HDMI - it's in the manual in small print, it should be in very large print since so many people have the problem. But it has created an installer "urban legend" where installers tell customers with Samsung TVs they have to use component instead of HDMI, and it is usually not true (there are a couple of Samsung Tvs that just won't connect over HDMI at all to the DirecTV boxes).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)