HR20 Lease/Own dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In an effort to keep beating this dead horse I was in both BB & CC yesterday. CC had no signage at all that would indicate you were leasing a unit. They also had no boxes on display either, so I couldn't see if they were marked appropriately. Interestingly, they had a sign that said until further notice they could only sell equipment to new subscribers. BB also had no sign at all on their display about leasing. The boxes on the shelves did however have stickers on them detailing the lease factor. In the paper today the BB flyer had "Lease Upgrade Fee" over the price stickers.
As soon as you call directv to activate your receiver your in a lease contract.

GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gif

I see bonscott is his usual self. If it was a lease then Best buy should have advertised it as such. IMO the cost should be theirs to eat not his.

Vurbano, let me begin by saying I don't expect to change your mind of this, but here are some facts relating to a recent purchase that I made at Best Buy.

I purchased a new HR20-700 from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago. On one end of the box is a tag 4 1/2" X 2 1/2" that states the following:

"ATTENTION: This receiver is a leased product and is the property of DIRECTV, Inc."

It then goes on to say the receiver must be returned to D* if the contract is cancelled and to recommend professional installation.

There was one of these tags on every box so it's hard for anyone who looks at the box to try to say they didn't know they were buying a leased box.

I can send you a jpeg image of the tag if you'd like.

Last edited:

Cute picture!

Question - since you have now made it clear in 2 posts that this thread is not of any more interest to you - why don't you just ignore it - that makes a lot better sense then putting down the members that choose to discuss this issue.

Wouldn't your time be better spent in threads that DO have interest to you.

Lease or own?

I have an H20-100 that I got thru DirecTV. I later bought from someone at work, an H20-60 complete with unopened access card. I called DirecTV to have it activated. On my billing summary there is a charge of $4.99 for Primary Leased Receiver, there is also a credit of $4.99 under Primary Leased Receiver. There is another charge of $4.99 for a Leased Receiver.

So what's the verdict? Do I own or lease the 2nd receiver? Either way, I agree that without an access card or DirecTV service the box is useless, just wondering.

Oh, I only paid $70 for the receiver, so even if it is a lease, it was cheaper than $199!

Thanks!

Vurbano, let me begin by saying I don't expect to change your mind of this, but here are some facts relating to a recent purchase that I made at Best Buy.

I purchased a new HR20-700 from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago. On one end of the box is a tag 4 1/2" X 2 1/2" that states the following:

"ATTENTION: This receiver is a leased product and is the property of DIRECTV, Inc."

It then goes on to say the receiver must be returned to D* if the contract is cancelled and to recommend professional installation.

There was one of these tags on every box so it's hard for anyone who looks at the box to try to say they didn't know they were buying a leased box.

I can send you a jpeg image of the tag if you'd like.
Change my mind on what? I said that the terms should have to be clearly displayed. :rolleyes: Im glad that store is doing the right thing.

I have an H20-100 that I got thru DirecTV. I later bought from someone at work, an H20-60 complete with unopened access card. I called DirecTV to have it activated. On my billing summary there is a charge of $4.99 for Primary Leased Receiver, there is also a credit of $4.99 under Primary Leased Receiver. There is another charge of $4.99 for a Leased Receiver.

So what's the verdict? Do I own or lease the 2nd receiver? Either way, I agree that without an access card or DirecTV service the box is useless, just wondering.

Oh, I only paid $70 for the receiver, so even if it is a lease, it was cheaper than $199!

Thanks!

It's probably a lease, unless the original user owned it (if he got it before 3/1/2006). The "lease upgrade" price for a H20 is $99, not $199 and often you can get it free.

Thanks!

You lease both receivers. The reason you actually have a line item for the primary receiver (and then a credit) is that your state probably charges sales tax on leased receivers. So they bill you for the primary so the sales tax gets charged, then credit it back to you since your primary receiver is always free of a monthly charge.
Your second receiver is then charged the standard $4.99 a month.

You lease both receivers. The reason you actually have a line item for the primary receiver (and then a credit) is that your state probably charges sales tax on leased receivers. So they bill you for the primary so the sales tax gets charged, then credit it back to you since your primary receiver is always free of a monthly charge.

That would make sense except that I am charged the $4.99 plus 0.25 for tax, and the credit is for both the $4.99 AND the 0.25 tax.

Nevermind, I get it now...

Cute picture!

Question - since you have now made it clear in 2 posts that this thread is not of any more interest to you - why don't you just ignore it - that makes a lot better sense then putting down the members that choose to discuss this issue.

Wouldn't your time be better spent in threads that DO have interest to you.

Maybe because when I see grown men arguing over a lease dispute when the
op left the discussions 7 pages ago yet people still argue over it.
It's a dead issue.

I don't pay a state tax on my leased receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts