HR20 making grinding noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

r37890

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Dallas
Hey all,
My old HR20-700 is making an intermittent grinding noise. I'm thinking that the only moving part on this beastie is the HDD, so that is the likely culprit. It is also getting much hotter than I remember previously. Does anyone have any experience with D*'s 'Equipment Protection Plan'? Does it have to be in place for a certain amount of time before you can put in a call?

R

Hey all,
My old HR20-700 is making an intermittent grinding noise. I'm thinking that the only moving part on this beastie is the HDD, so that is the likely culprit. It is also getting much hotter than I remember previously. Does anyone have any experience with D*'s 'Equipment Protection Plan'? Does it have to be in place for a certain amount of time before you can put in a call?

R

If your dvr is making a grinding noise, it's only a matter of time, and probably not much time, before it goes south. If/when it does, the protection plan has nothing to do with replacing it. Directv will replace it at no cost with or without the protection plan. The difference is the protection plan pays the shipping, which is $19.95 IIRC. Make sure they don't extend or give you a new commitment if you do get it replaced since replacing defective equipment doesn't affect your commitment.

If your dvr is making a grinding noise, it's only a matter of time, and probably not much time, before it goes south. If/when it does, the protection plan has nothing to do with replacing it. Directv will replace it at no cost with or without the protection plan. The difference is the protection plan pays the shipping, which is $19.95 IIRC. Make sure they don't extend or give you a new commitment if you do get it replaced since replacing defective equipment doesn't affect your commitment.

Thanks. I never did like the idea of paying for warranties anyway. As far as the commitment goes, I added a new HR24 a couple of weeks ago so my (new) commitment has just started anyway. And as big a pain as D* can be...they still beat going back to cable!

Actually, doesn't this box have a fan on the back? If so, the bearings in IT could be going out. One way to tell is (carefully) stop it for a second and see if the noise goes away.

It could be the fan, or the hard drive. Either way it is going down fast. It is overheating because it probably is the fan that is grinding.
Call DTV and get a replacement. If they say they can't replace it for a noise, tell them it just caught fire or something. :p

OSD771 brings up a good point. Don't call and say the hard drive or fan is starting to go. Tell them it won't even power up.

As long as your getting the SAME model.

Btw, what is the internal temp of your unit ?

I'm not sure what you mean Jimbo. Are you saying you could get a new or renewed commitment if you get an HR24 sent to replace an HR20?

raoul5788 said:
I'm not sure what you mean Jimbo. Are you saying you could get a new or renewed commitment if you get an HR24 sent to replace an HR20?

I think he's saying that but it don't matter what model you get. A service swap is just a service swap. No renewal for it

I think he's saying that but it don't matter what model you get. A service swap is just a service swap. No renewal for it

Really, so if I have a bad HR20 and I replace it with a HR24, (doesn't matter what model you said) theres NO commitment ?

I don't think thats right, otherwise I should not be in a commitment and I am as far as I know.

I just retired 2 old HR20-700's, slow and running poorly.
I KNOW that had I contacted D* for a replacement, they would have sent me more HR20-700's, they've been doing that for years now.

I decided to upgrade to the HR24's at this time .... lost my OTA ability when I did this ... of course D* would not cover the difference it cost me to get the same ability that I previously had, although you would think they would. Had to buy 2 am21's as well.

So I upgrade and it not only cost me for the recvrs, but also for the addl. boxes I had to get to get the same as what I had previously.
Why upgrade and lose features ?

Jimbo said:
Really, so if I have a bad HR20 and I replace it with a HR24, (doesn't matter what model you said) theres NO commitment ?

I don't think thats right, otherwise I should not be in a commitment and I am as far as I know.

I just retired 2 old HR20-700's, slow and running poorly.
I KNOW that had I contacted D* for a replacement, they would have sent me more HR20-700's, they've been doing that for years now.

I decided to upgrade to the HR24's at this time .... lost my OTA ability when I did this ... of course D* would not cover the difference it cost me to get the same ability that I previously had, although you would think they would. Had to buy 2 am21's as well.

So I upgrade and it not only cost me for the recvrs, but also for the addl. boxes I had to get to get the same as what I had previously.
Why upgrade and lose features ?

It's tricky Jimbo, if Directv comes to your home and a tech swaps a receiver because the tech decided it was defective then it's considered a service swap IF you purchased a box and swapped it because you wanted a new box then they look at it as an upgrade and tack a new contract on. It's really a bad deal on Directv's part but I guess they do it since they get away with it

Jimbo, replacing a defective leased receiver/dvr for another doesn't trigger a new commitment, or at least it shouldn't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts