HR20 not playing recorded shows / not recording

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi, I am having the problem mentioned in this article.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/askswanni122106.htm

For those who don't want to link, basically some recorded shows will not play back--I just get a message asking if I want to delete it when I try and play the show from the list. This is happening more frequently. I have reset my box a few times.

Anyhow, this seems to be a bug, but I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and what they have done to fix it? What has diretv done? Is the only fix a new box??? I'm going to call Directv and see what they have to say, but I thought I would throw it out there for the rest of you.

-Rob :( :confused: :( :confused:

I've had the some problem 2 times over the past 2 weeks with my HR20. PPV was not involved. The first time I did a reset and it didn't correct the problem so I just deleted the program. The second time when I hit play, it locked up my whole system. I was forced to do a reset. When the reset was complete, the program was available.

I have also had 1 instance where I came home from work and the box was locked up. I reset it and the system came back on line. I left the room and came back 15 minutes later and the system had rebooted itself.... very strange.

Other than those 3 instances, the HR20 is doing a nice job. Please let us know what you find out..... I hope someone is working on these problems.

I've had the some problem 2 times over the past 2 weeks with my HR20. PPV was not involved. The first time I did a reset and it didn't correct the problem so I just deleted the program. The second time when I hit play, it locked up my whole system. I was forced to do a reset. When the reset was complete, the program was available.

I have also had 1 instance where I came home from work and the box was locked up. I reset it and the system came back on line. I left the room and came back 15 minutes later and the system had rebooted itself.... very strange.

Other than those 3 instances, the HR20 is doing a nice job. Please let us know what you find out..... I hope someone is working on these problems.

Hmm, the box has locked up on me a few times and I've had to reset. I haven't tried resetting when a show won't play--I'll try that next time. It seems to come and go and get worse sometimes. VERY finicky....I hope I don't have to return it.

-Rob

My HR20 did this same thing last night. Tried to play a couple of shows that had been recorded and it would not play either one. Presented choices of deleting now or saving the show. Today I unplugged it to reset. Those shows were then gone completely from my recorded list. I've only had my unit for a week and a half coming from the 10-250. I sure hope they get these things fixed quick.

I've had similar problems with the HR20... sometimes a reset will allow you to watch the show...sometimes not! BTW a "level 4" tech told me that this issue will be addressed in a software update coming out next Monday, Jan 8 or 9. Hope it's true!

After I did my reset last night, we watched NCIS that was being currently recorded. Then we started on a House we had recorded from last week. Got through about 2/3 of the show and the HR20 became completely unresponsive to the remote control and could not be turned off with the power button on the unit itself :( Volume control still worked, so I know the remote was working OK. So, 1 1/2 hours after the first reset, I had to do another one to get the unit to work again. Grrrr...

Yesterday I was on the phone with D* protection plan dept., the rep told me that on 1/4/07 they are sending out an update that is suppose to solve the blackout & no record issues.

Yesterday I was on the phone with D* protection plan dept., the rep told me that on 1/4/07 they are sending out an update that is suppose to solve the blackout & no record issues.

Let's all cross our collective fingers...

How can you tell if you have received the update? I know you can go into the setup and see the code (something like 10X4E04), but is there somewhere that you can tell which one you have? (ie. the last time it was updated?)

For those who don't want to link, basically some recorded shows will not play back--I just get a message asking if I want to delete it when I try and play the show from the list. This is happening more frequently. I have reset my box a few times.

Anyhow, this seems to be a bug, but I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and what they have done to fix it? What has diretv done? Is the only fix a new box??? I'm going to call Directv and see what they have to say, but I thought I would throw it out there for the rest of you.

This has happened to me several times the only solution I found was to do a new software install via 02468 method... this fix has worked for me for almost 2 weeks...not the best solution but it should get you through to the next update(next week I hope)
Hope this helps!

Is that Jan 4th or April 1st? I just tried to force an update and it says I am at 0x10b. Is that the most recent?

-Rob

Heat related issue?

I had very similar problems all of the time. I noticed that because of my enclosed entertainment system, my HR20 would sometimes run over 140 degrees. I opened up the enclosures and now my system is never over 127 degrees. Since then I have not lost a show.. .and the system has never locked up. I'm wondering if is a coincidence or if it is a heat related problem.

I had very similar problems all of the time. I noticed that because of my enclosed entertainment system, my HR20 would sometimes run over 140 degrees. I opened up the enclosures and now my system is never over 127 degrees. Since then I have not lost a show.. .and the system has never locked up. I'm wondering if is a coincidence or if it is a heat related problem.

I just got my HR20 a few days ago and have not learned or discovered all the little background functions...how do you check the internal temp on this box?

I just got my HR20 a few days ago and have not learned or discovered all the little background functions...how do you check the internal temp on this box?
Go into teh set up modethen when it come up with Info and Test highlighted, hit the select button, scroll down and you will see the INternal Temp listed.
Mine is at 118* thats about the lowest I have seen on mine, normally between 122 and 127*

jimbo

Is that Jan 4th or April 1st? I just tried to force an update and it says I am at 0x10b. Is that the most recent?

-Rob

Whoever that tech was is mistaken. I checked mine and it also is version 0x10b, that was upgraded 12/20 at 4:44am and it says there is no update scheduled.

Go into teh set up modethen when it come up with Info and Test highlighted, hit the select button, scroll down and you will see the INternal Temp listed.
Mine is at 118* thats about the lowest I have seen on mine, normally between 122 and 127*

jimbo

Thanks

Possible Solution

I've had this same problem, with OTA HD channels and channels off the satellite. Basically, the DVR recorded nothing. The problem is that whatever tuner the DVR used to record your program did not have a signal. You need to run a system test. Make sure you have a signal on both satellite tuners, and both antenna tuners.

The past 2 weeks I tried to record '24,' and both times I tried to play the show, and got the above problem, asking me if I want to delete the programs without being able to play them. Couldn't figure out what the problem was, seeing I turned my DVR on, turned to Fox, and I could see the channel.

Yesterday, I spent 45 min. on the phone with DirecTV trying to figure out the problem, and they were no help. So I decided to check the signal on my antenna, to make sure there were no problems. I did a system test, and found that on Antenna Tuner 1, I had no signal, while I had a 96 on Antenna Tuner 2. This was ridicilious, seeing there was only one input for an antenna. So I unplugged the antenna. Turned off the unit. Plugged the antenna back in, and re-did my antenna set up, did a system test, and both antenna tuners had a 96 signal, and i was able to record '24.'

For program not recording from a satellite signal, check your signal strength on BOTH tuners. I have had problems where one tuner would have odds, and the other would have evens, Or that one had strong odds, and weak evens, etc. Unlike TiVo, where the machine would switch tuners if what you wanted to record wasn't strong enough on one of the tuners, the DirecTV DVR does not. If it decides to record from Tuner 1, and there is no program, it will record black for whatever amount of time. When you try to play back, there is nothing there, so the machine asks you if you want to delete.

So you need to make sure you have strong numbers on Tuner 1 and 2 for Trosponders 1 and 2, or you may have record problems.

I can't remember what I did to get the Satellite Tuners to read the signals properly, but I would imagine that you need to disconnect the satellite coax cables, turn the machine off, reattach, then turn it back on.

Yes, major pain in the ass process, but that's all I know that solves this problem. Hope this helps.

--B-dawg

I've had this same problem, with OTA HD channels and channels off the satellite. Basically, the DVR recorded nothing. The problem is that whatever tuner the DVR used to record your program did not have a signal. You need to run a system test. Make sure you have a signal on both satellite tuners, and both antenna tuners.

That could explain some cases, but not all. Example: I recorded a basketball game Saturday...in fact, I watched most of it live, so I know the signal was there the whole time. I also know the other tuner was working, as I would switch to it during breaks.

When I went back to play the game on Sunday (to archive it to DVD), the unwatchable "keep or delete" bug bit me. After I rebooted, the recording was gone.

This isn't the first time I have seen this bug. What I have found is that it starts showing up about a week after I last rebooted the machine. What is going on to "gunk" things up at that point, I do not know...

I'll go out on a limb here, but, If the recorded show asked if you want to save or delete when you try to view it. Seems to me that the information that the box is getting is that it has been watched, am I right. so if your watching a recording show this may be the case, also even if your not watching, it looks like it is still logging the file as seen. so it is asking to save or delete, even though you havent seen it, I would say 'save it' the see it can be viewed. yes it is a software glitch, not having the dual buffers may be the reason so the viewing is global not per tuner. Since you need to be on one channel to record while the non viewing channel is recoding also, is the only way to record two different channels at one time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)