HR20 problems with 4:3 TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sgrimess

Nov 15, 2006
I am having problems with the new hr20-700 and my TV. It's a Sony XBR 36 inch 450 model. It's about 3 years old and IS HD ready. I had no problems with my old receiver, a Sony HD-300. But now I can't get the picture to look right.

I have the box set to 4:3, cropped, native OFF, and 1080i resolution. Everything works, but I noticed on the receiver that the resolution is set to 480p or 480i, I'm not sure. Does it default to this resolution? If so, why set it to 1080i? If it says 480, am I getting 1080i on the HD channels?

The only other weirdness is that cropping a HD channel not only blows it up, which is fine I guess, but it shifts to the left, cutting off titles and graphics.

Thanks

Well, I have the same TV but with an HR10-250. With this receiver you select what output resolutions you want with the options being 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. I select all but the 720p and then when you turn to a HD channel you hit the up arrow to select 1080i otherwise it stays in whatever output you have been watching. I understand the HR20 may be totally different, I wouldn't know.

I am having problems with the new hr20-700 and my TV. It's a Sony XBR 36 inch 450 model. It's about 3 years old and IS HD ready. I had no problems with my old receiver, a Sony HD-300. But now I can't get the picture to look right.

I have the box set to 4:3, cropped, native OFF, and 1080i resolution. Everything works, but I noticed on the receiver that the resolution is set to 480p or 480i, I'm not sure. Does it default to this resolution? If so, why set it to 1080i? If it says 480, am I getting 1080i on the HD channels?

The only other weirdness is that cropping a HD channel not only blows it up, which is fine I guess, but it shifts to the left, cutting off titles and graphics.

Thanks

Are you usung HDMI or component??

Im using the regular composite cables (Red, yellow, white) and no problems...
with my 4.3 non digtal analog tv...

note: im using it with the 1080i resoultion selected on the HR20

I believe you need to use component cables which is how mine is connected. My set has no HDMI inputs, your's is newer than mine.

Last edited:
Ok, you need to be very specific about what you are doing. First, what connectors are you connected to on the HR20. Second, same question about your TV. It sounds like you are using the RCA connections (white/red/yellow)

General point which may be the first problem. You can't get 1080i through the RCA connections. The RCA connections from your receiver only carry 480i. If you want to get an HD picture, you have to use component video - that's the green/blue/red connections on your HR20 and on your TV. Then you should find that you can get 1080i, set it up for 4:3 and crop it successfully.

Cropping a 16:9 picture for a 4:3 tv just takes the middle section of the picture and fills the 4:3 screen with it. So you will lose big pieces of any titles/graphics which are transmitted with the 16:9 picture. The alternative is to run your 16:9 picture in letterbox mode, then you will see everything but of course will have bars at the top and bottom.

HI, I started this thread. Someone else is using RCA, I'm using component. When I set it up for 1080i and Crop as you suggest it works fine, except for losing graphics and such. But what I'm confused about is that on the hr20 box it says the resolution is 480i, even on hd channels. I thought I had it set for 1080i? Is it defaulting to that because of the crop?

thanks

If you have native switched off and all the resolutions unchecked except 1080i then your HR20 will upconvert everything to 1080i.

I have native off and all resolutions unchecked except 1080i so I got that right, thanks. What I'm still wondering is how come if I'm set to 1080i why does the light on the box always say 480?

Texas Brit, please also go to the dallas home theater group site, I have a question about dallas locals there. thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts