HR20 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

postalguy

Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
I'm looking into upgrading from the H10 to the HR20 dvr. The only problem I can think of is do I HAVE to have a phone line to use it, because I gave up my land-based phone for a cell phone years ago?

I know there are broadband Tivos and Replays out there, but can the HR20 use broadband instead of a phone line? I'm not about to install a phone line JUST for this, so is there a workaround for somebody like me that has broadband but no land-based phone line?

The HR20 does not require a phone line except to order PPV by remote.

Software upgrades are done from the satellite.

I've since found the manual online and it makes it sound like it has to have a phone line connection.

"We require a land-based telephone connection to communicate periodically with your Directv Plus HD DVR." - page 15.

Maybe it needs it to 'phone home' with info about our viewing habits. Isn't that what they found Tivo doing?

I've since found the manual online and it makes it sound like it has to have a phone line connection.

"We require a land-based telephone connection to communicate periodically with your Directv Plus HD DVR." - page 15.

Maybe it needs it to 'phone home' with info about our viewing habits. Isn't that what they found Tivo doing?
The phone line is no longer required for the newer receivers.
However, if you do use the phone line you can use the Caller Id funtion.

D* will always recommend you keep a line plugged in, this way IF you order a PPV, they can retrive the PPV from the Access Card when the unit calls in.
If you don't order PPV's with your remote, you really have no need to have the phone line plugged in.

Jimbo

Last edited:

D* does indeed do that, (fairly) openly, there is even a setting to disable it on the site, I think it also populates the active 'What's Hot' database.

D* does indeed do that, (fairly) openly, there is even a setting to disable it on the site, I think it also populates the active 'What's Hot' database.
Good point, but I would have figured that , that info was done over the sat as well.

I have disabled my info gathering feature so I probably don't need the phone line either, except for the Caller Id

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts