Status
Please reply by conversation.

WalksInDarkness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Kekistan
Hi All,

I have had a new HR20 ("700" I think) since about Christmas. Essentially I have been happy with it, other than the loud fan/drive noise (and it generates a crapload of heat). But in the last month or so, the remote control stops working partially. It always seems to happen at about ~10:00pm EST!!! I know this sounds crazy, but my wife concurrs. I will be channel surfing, and suddenly the HR20 will stop responding to the Channel +/- button as well as the "number keypad". Strangely, the on/off buttons seem to work (weird...).
I know it is definitely NOT the remote, as rebooting the HR20 always fixes the problem as follows:
Do nothing for 24 hours = the remote will work again the next day.
"Red Button" reboot = fixes the problem until ~10:00 the next night.
Unplug HR20 = takes FOREVER to reboot, but seems to fix the problem for several days.

Is this problem a known bug? Is it a defect within the HR20, and should I try to exchange it?

TIA,
Will

Odd, I can only offer some things you did not mention, do you have one of them TV's with the back light i.e. Aquos? If yes, disable the backlight, see if it still does it.

Are you using the remote in IR or RF mode?

Have you ever tried to notice if the channels you're flipping through include a certain common channel each time? i.e. when you flip by a local channel the HR20 freezes, perhaps you are a creature of habit and 'flip' through the channels in the same order at about the same time?

It is possible that a local station is sending something the HR20 does not like (psip data maybe). How about if you limit your flipping at that time frame to none, or to nationals only, does it still freeze up?

Have you tried to plug the HR20 into a different electrical outlet (one on a different circuit) to see if it still happens? The thinking, is that there could be something on that circuit where the HR20 is (or something which uses the same [bad] ground that the dish is using, i.e. A/C or something heavy) which 'flips' on at that time surging i.e. bad ground issue) and making the HR20 unhappy. If you suspect a bad dish ground, and you feel comfortable with doing it (careful, there could be a high voltage if there is a bad ground (hot ground), recommend using a multimeter first to insure there is no high voltage), you can temp. remove the ground FOR THE DISH ONLY, and see if the issue stops, if it does, get someone to get you a proper ground for the dish.

Unlikely, but, maybe there is an electrical panel near the HR20 which is releasing EMP (yes, it happens if the electrical panel was not properly installed) which peaks at 10pm due to some load? EMPs can disable electronics. (yes, I know this is almost impossible)

Is the HR20 the only unit in the home? If not, have you tried moving the HR20 to a new location and seeing if it does the same thing at the same time? as that would eliminate some of the mentioned possibilities.

And of course, the most likely, just a bad unit, a new HR20 should fix it.

Last edited:
Odd, I can only offer some things you did not mention, do you have one of them TV's with the back light i.e. Aquos? If yes, disable the backlight, see if it still does it.
No, I don't have any backlighting. In fact, the room in nearly pitch-black; it is a basement room, and that late at night I turn off all other lights

I am not sure. I understand what the terminology means, but I didn't know I had an option. Can someone tell me what the advantages/disadvantages of each are? And how do I set my remote or HR-20 to choose?

Have you ever tried to notice if the channels you're flipping through include a certain common channel each time? i.e. when you flip by a local channel the HR20 freezes, perhaps you are a creature of habit and 'flip' through the channels in the same order at about the same time?
Hmm, this is an interesting question; and the answer is a very strong "maybe". Most of the shows I watch in "real time" are the locals, which are on between 8-10pm. After that, I usually channel surf; and IIRC, the problem happens when I get slightly higher into the D* HD channels (or just past them). So there might be some connection there. I will have to start keeping notes on that one.

It is possible that a local station is sending something the HR20 does not like (psip data maybe). How about if you limit your flipping at that time frame to none, or to nationals only, does it still freeze up?
Not sure, I will keep track of this too

Have you tried to plug the HR20 into a different electrical outlet (one on a different circuit) to see if it still happens? The thinking, is that there could be something on that circuit where the HR20 is (or something which uses the same [bad] ground that the dish is using, i.e. A/C or something heavy) which 'flips' on at that time surging i.e. bad ground issue) and making the HR20 unhappy. If you suspect a bad dish ground, and you feel comfortable with doing it (careful, there could be a high voltage if there is a bad ground (hot ground), recommend using a multimeter first to insure there is no high voltage), you can temp. remove the ground FOR THE DISH ONLY, and see if the issue stops, if it does, get someone to get you a proper ground for the dish.
I used one of those light up outlet testers, and the outlets should be fine. I know this subject fairly well, as my house is somewhat old with many different wiring updates (I found 2 rooms with bad grounds before, which fried other AV equipment). That being said, the theater room is new construction; so who knows what problems will continue to pop up in the next month. There should be nothing heavy on the circuit that turns "on". However, it could be possible that the clothes dryer would be shutting "off" about that time. Again, another thing for me to keep notes on.

Unlikely, but, maybe there is an electrical panel near the HR20 which is releasing EMP (yes, it happens if the electrical panel was not properly installed) which peaks at 10pm due to some load? EMPs can disable electronics. (yes, I know this is almost impossible)
Hmm, another interesting one. The circuit breaker is only about 12 feet away, on the same floor. However, it is in a different room seprated by a very thick and highly insulated wall.

Is the HR20 the only unit in the home? If not, have you tried moving the HR20 to a new location and seeing if it does the same thing at the same time? as that would eliminate some of the mentioned possibilities.
I have 5 STBs in my house: 3 "basic black boxes", a SD Tivo, and the HR-20. No problems with the other units. The HR-20, was upstairs for about a month beforehand with no problems. The problem did start occuring after being moved, but not immediately (maybe after a month or so)

And of course, the most likely, just a bad unit, a new HR20 should fix it
Yep, I am guessing the unit may need to be swapped out. But I figure I might as well try to find the root cause (if there is one other than the STB), just in case the problem continues after replacement (been down that road in these types of situations before...)

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice! I will update this thread if I can come to any conclusions.

Will

It may not be the remote itself, it may be the IR receiving unit.

If it responds to power commands, then try operating it from its console buttons when the remote stops working. That can tell you whether the unit is busy doing something else (I have no idea what it might be).

Also, consider whether there is some type of interference in the room at that time, possibly anything that might interfere with the IR.

As I proofread this reply, a thought occurred: is the time properly set on your unit? Is it configured for the proper zipcode? I am wondering whether the time is incorrect. If it's off by several hours, the unit may be trying to call-out to D*.

I have friend who has the same type of receiver HR20-700. He was having the same issue with the remote not responding to the receiver. Although the reset with the red button seemed to fix the issue every time that it occurs. Some things to possibly try with the remote, since the issue seems to be reoccurring. Try this: Remove the batteries from the remote. Then after the batteries are removed from the remote, press a random button on the remote. Example: Any of the numeric keys, Menu button or Select. Which every button you choose doesn't matter, but hold that button down for about 10 secs. Finally put the batteries back in the remote. That is one step I know for resetting the remote.

Another possible thing to try is reset the remote to factory defaults and reprogram the remote for the receiver. To reset remote to factory defaults: 1. Make sure you mode switch at the remote is over under the DTV Logo or all the way to the left. 2. Press and Hold "Mute" button and "Select" button both down at the same time, until the green light flashes twice at the top of your remote. Once you see the light flash twice, enter code 9-8-1. After the code is entered the light will flash four times and that confirms the remote is reset to defaults. 3. Reprogram the remote for the receiver. Same process press the "Mute" & "Select" buttons until you see green light flash twice on remote, then enter code "00001". That is the remote code for All Directv Model receivers. If that code fails then attempt these codes 00002, 00003, 00004. For these other codes use same process. The "00001" codes works most of the time.
*Note: If remote is programmed for TV, after using reset to factory defaults you will have to reprogram all of your devices for the remote again.*

Another suggestion possibly get in contact with Tech support, they may have a known issue with the remote. Because being on all of the online forums I have seen many posting about the issue. So you are not the only person who has noticed it occurring.

If all fails you can possibly try using through the menus the reset everything option, but that would be a final option if the issue get annoying enough. That is located in the menu. Help & Settings > Setup > Reset > Reset Everything > press Dash button on remote 3x and it will ask you to go back through the guided setup after completing the process. *Note* Reset Everything will delete all recordings and any setup series link, manuel records, etc.

Reply to "JPN"

It may not be the remote itself, it may be the IR receiving unit.
Agreed, I am fairly sure it is not the remote. All of the "fixes" I figured out directly involve some sort of HR-20 reset.

If it responds to power commands, then try operating it from its console buttons when the remote stops working. That can tell you whether the unit is busy doing something else (I have no idea what it might be).
I have tried using the buttons on the STB, they do NOT seem to respond (other than the Power Button)

Also, consider whether there is some type of interference in the room at that time, possibly anything that might interfere with the IR.
There has been one change, which could interefere: the STB is now in a equipment cabinet. The cabinet has glass doors. I do not know how this could suddenly affect the IR sensor, after 2-3 hours of use. I have already thought about that, and tried opening the door etc. I thought maybe the unit is somehow overheating, even thought I leave the door slightly open for ventilation, but again why does it happen only at night - and why does it quickly reboot and fix (instead of needing a cool-down period)?

As I proofread this reply, a thought occurred: is the time properly set on your unit? Is it configured for the proper zipcode? I am wondering whether the time is incorrect. If it's off by several hours, the unit may be trying to call-out to D*
AFAIK, this is not the problem. It reads the proper time, and understands the timezone/zip etc. My locals show up on the guide and record properly

I am not sure. I understand what the terminology means, but I didn't know I had an option. Can someone tell me what the advantages/disadvantages of each are? And how do I set my remote or HR-20 to choose?

I do not own one, but yes they do [did?] have 2 modes (although newer units I heard only have IR, so I won't comment further on this, other than RF is used for it's distance and ability to work 'through walls', usually to feed two (or more) TVs with one DVR, the RF mode lets you do this so you can change the channel from the other room, where IR could not).

My thinking was that if it was a backlight issue, or interference, changing the remote to the other mode might be a fix, or at least, be a way to eliminate the interference theories, but I, like you, do not think it a remote problem, nor interference.

WalksInDarkness said:
I used one of those light up outlet testers, and the outlets should be fine. I know this subject fairly well, as my house is somewhat old with many different wiring updates (I found 2 rooms with bad grounds before, which fried other AV equipment). That being said, the theater room is new construction; so who knows what problems will continue to pop up in the next month. There should be nothing heavy on the circuit that turns "on". However, it could be possible that the clothes dryer would be shutting "off" about that time. Again, another thing for me to keep notes on.

How about the dish ground (you do not mention it specifically in your reply), what is used to ground it [dish], the block and the coax? Even if you have that tester, would you feel like disconnecting the ground the dish is using to see if that is the problem (because, as you mention, this is the kind of thing that COULD cause the problem to happen again on the new HR20), if you remove the ground and the problem ceases, a new HR20 may not solve the issue (for long anyways).

WalksInDarkness said:
Hmm, another interesting one. The circuit breaker is only about 12 feet away, on the same floor. However, it is in a different room seprated by a very thick and highly insulated wall.

Yea, I knew is was a long shot, almost boarders on stupidity on my part to even suggest it.

WalksInDarkness said:
I have 5 STBs in my house: 3 "basic black boxes", a SD Tivo, and the HR-20. No problems with the other units. The HR-20, was upstairs for about a month beforehand with no problems. The problem did start occuring after being moved, but not immediately (maybe after a month or so)

If you REALLY want to, can you take the HR20 now, move it to a place where you have one of the other boxes, for a day or so, and see if it locks up (even change channels at the same times as usual, use it like you normally would), or have you already done this since the problem arose?, I ask it, because your reply was not clear on that.

WalksInDarkness said:
Thanks for the troubleshooting advice! I will update this thread if I can come to any conclusions.

Will

Anytime, I am just sorry I could not be of more help, but please keep us updated, even if it makes me look like a retard, I am damn curious, keeping us updated would be the best 'thank you' to me. :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
is the Remote a RC 34 if it is the remote is bad, does not work in RF
i have the same problem
I just changed remotes and the problem went away

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)