Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Today another satellite site has featured a multi-page review of the HR21-100. This follows suit of their review of the HR21-200 model a month ago.

I'd like to tell you the differences in the HR21 series:

Each model has a different manufacturer. They have different motherboard designs but use the same primary chipsets to operate the unit. They all use the same 320gb SATA hard drive. As they have evolved the HR21, the cooling methods (airflow) has improved a little resulting in slightly lower operating temperatures. Lastly, they all feature the same exact casing design and the connections on the back.

Essentially there is no significant difference.

I find this thread very amusing, as some of the same individuals setting up and posting these reviews reply that "there is no difference".

Only HR21-700available. Should I wait for 200, or100? - DBSTalk.Com

I guess I find the whole thing amusing. If you want to post a picture of a motherboard - great.
But who needs a 7 page PDF to show an internal picture and say that there is no difference :confused:

Essentially there is no significant difference.

Which, I assume, means essentially no improvement to the whole broken mess that is Directv DVR's. Keep releasing boxes that do the same thing...

[guinness voiceover on]

BRILLIANT!
[/guinness voiceover off.]

:D

According to your sig you're not even a D* customer (yea, I know you used to be) so how do you know the state of the current product?

According to your sig you're not even a D* customer (yea, I know you used to be) so how do you know the state of the current product?

easy. Takes about three seconds of reading over a DBS Talk to see that nothing has changed. :)

Trickplay still broken, Guide data still woefully inadequate, empty recordings abound, sheese.

BUT BUT WE HAVE 9000 MILLION HD CHANNELS!

Then you'll also see that some folks do have problems and MANY don't. Same goes for E* hardware.

I don't pretend to know about E* because i have never had their service. I speak of things I have firsthand experience with. And that is D*. The same things that were broken 6 months ago are STILL broken. I stand by that. :cool:

( mainly because I have a friend that is saddled with a HR20 and he never forgets to remind me that 'I' suggested D* to him in the first place.)

There are things that can be improve on the HR20/HR21, but it is a 1,000 times better than a year ago at this time.

The real difference is that Echostar has been making their own hardware for 10-15 years, and is very good at it.

DirecTV has been making their own hardware (or designing it anyway) for only a few years.

They will get better as time goes on (please).

Lets keep it civil :) E* has better hardware, D* Had a TON more HD :D

easy. Takes about three seconds of reading over a DBS Talk to see that nothing has changed. :)

Trickplay still broken, Guide data still woefully inadequate, empty recordings abound, sheese.

BUT BUT WE HAVE 9000 MILLION HD CHANNELS!

Are you the same one that complained about the HR20's as well ?

I've had 2 HR 20's for quite some time now with very little trouble.
btw, I have yet to have it NOT RECORD what I told it to and my trick play works very well.

Curious, are you a previous TIVO owner that thinks TIVO is God and there can be nothing else ?

IF you don't even have D*, WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN THE D* FORUM SLAMMING THEM WHENEVER POSSIBLE ?

Jimbo

Are you the same one that complained about the HR20's as well ?

I've had 2 HR 20's for quite some time now with very little trouble.
btw, I have yet to have it NOT RECORD what I told it to and my trick play works very well.

Curious, are you a previous TIVO owner that thinks TIVO is God and there can be nothing else ?

IF you don't even have D*, WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN THE D* FORUM SLAMMING THEM WHENEVER POSSIBLE ?

Jimbo

Yep, that's me. SOMEONE has to tell the truth about the D* product.

Yes I had a TIVO, two in fact. They were nice, no doubt. We, as paying customers were told that the new (at the time) DVR was going to be better than our TIVOS. Mine never was. It had flashes of brilliance, but overall underwhelming. I ignored the issues I had with mine, as it worked sometimes, sometimes not, because D* PROMISED us TIVO-like functionality and features. Okay, so I give them time, do the CE's like requested, heck I even got one of those fandangled SWM's. What did D* do? IGNORE the problems that were repeatedly brought up, and insisted on ADDING things ( media share, VOD, etc) that broke it further.

I do not care what name is on the front of the Receiver, whether it be TIVO, Replay, Ultimate TV, or just generic DVR. I want it to WORK, all the time, NO glitches, JUST like the product I was FORCIBLY separated from. The fact that it was a TIVO is irrevelant.

I am glad you are happy with your HR20's. Mine was a box 'o problems, but NOT unique to my machine, many others saw the same thing.

I finally got tired of D* pissing down my back and calling it rain. I paid what I consider a LOT of money every month to have their service in my house, and I was not going to continue beta-testing their equipment for them, and them NOT fixing the things they ASKED US to tell them were wrong.

And don't EVEN get me started with them asking us what features we wanted added, only to absolutely ignore our wishes.

And what I posted was not a slam, in fact I cleaned it up quite a bit. As soon as D* stops promoting their product as world class, I'll stop telling folks about the problems i had with their product, that continue to this day. Everytime I go to my friend's house I have to shake my head that a year on the same things are still happening. :(

And on top of that, once you get roped in by the inferior product, and don't like it, tough. Pay the 20.00 a month to leave, sucker. But that's another thread. :)

From where I sit, DirecTV still has a long way to go to catch up with the ease of use and reliability that Dish Network customers enjoy (especially on the 622/722)

Dont get me wrong the HR20 is 200% better then it was when it was first released, but its still not quite there yet. With some of the CE releases I actually cringe when I see some of the changes they are making, sometimes it seems they take steps backwords. (Bring back TO DO!)

If Dish could steal DirecTV On Demand and put it on the 622/722 the the 622/722 would be an almost perfect satellite DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts