HR21 Ethernet Connections

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rkicklighter

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Statesboro, GA
First post here, did a search but could not find what I was looking for.

Long time DirecTV subscriber about to take the plunge into HD with a HR21 receiver.

The short version of my question is what are the 2 Ethernet ports for? I know DOD but what else? Can I use the HR21 in place of my D-Link Media Lounge to play MP3's or show JPEG's from my PC?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

Ricky

Long time DirecTV subscriber about to take the plunge into HD with a HR21 receiver.

The short version of my question is what are the 2 Ethernet ports for? I know DOD but what else? Can I use the HR21 in place of my D-Link Media Lounge to play MP3's or show JPEG's from my PC?

Ricky
Sorry I can't be of much help for you, the HR21's are very new and I do not have one, hopefully never will .... at least till they add a OTA tuner option.
I think I'll wait for the HR22 to come out ....

Jimbo

Ricky

Yes, you can use ethernet port #1 to connect to your home network. Currently all you can use it for is to stream MP3's and JPEG's from a PC on your home network. A couple things on the HR20's now, either in general software release or early release testing that use the network are:

- DirecTV on Demand, D*'s answer to video on demand. Download movies/shows/shorts/concerts etc from D* servers via your broadband connection. Most content is no charge, PPV movies available for a charge.

- Ability to stream video from your home network attached PC.

- PPV purchases normally needing a phone line connection to report the purchase back to D* will use the broadband connection if available, elminate the need for the phone line for PPV remote control ordering.

- Ability to remotely schedule recording via the DirecTV web site.

Hope that helps, now go out and connect it to your network and get ready for these new features to show up.

Thanks guys, however you have brought up another question. Should I try and find a HR20 instead of the HR21? In the rural area of GA where I live, we are not directly serviced by D* but by a local electrical coop. In fact I can't deal directly with Directv, EMC has a 50 year agreement to supply programming.

That said, I can get a receiver from anywhere I want then activate it with EMC.

So HR20 or HR21? The OTA tuner really makes no difference to me.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Thanks

Ricky

Thanks guys, however you have brought up another question. Should I try and find a HR20 instead of the HR21? In the rural area of GA where I live, we are not directly serviced by D* but by a local electrical coop. In fact I can't deal directly with Directv, EMC has a 50 year agreement to supply programming.

That said, I can get a receiver from anywhere I want then activate it with EMC.

So HR20 or HR21? The OTA tuner really makes no difference to me.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Thanks

Ricky

IF the OTA is NOT an issue, then it really doesn't matter.
I don't understand how you say you cannot deal with D*. Your local may be the ones that come out and do installs, I don't know, but you should always be able to call D* to determine your programming.
D* sub contracts the install end of things, that is normal.

Jimbo

I thought the exclusive areas with electrical coops (NRTC) were a thing of the past.

The HR20-700 seems to get the latest features, but the HR20-100 is now only slightly behind. The HR21 is a bit further behind. HR20s are currently in short supply and may be hard to find. I believe that the HR20-700 line was switched over to making HR21s but the HR20-100 is still in production (-100 made by RCA, -700 made by Pace).

HR20 is silver, HR21 is black if that makes any difference to you. The HR21's second ethernet port can be used for a bridge connection to another device.

Thanks for all the info. The electrical coop stuff is not gone in my area of the country. If I want to change programming or ask about anything I have to call the Dtv section of the coop. I can't even pay my bill online.

I did call Dtv one time about a year ago wanting to activate a new receiver on the weekend, they said they had no control and I would have to contact local provider as my account # does not even show up in Dtv's system.....

Thanks Again

Ricky

I have an HR21 and all the problems that come with it. I've successfully linked it to my home network through a pc running windows home media server - however, I started experiencing other issues like unresponsive playback controls, so I've unplugged it for now.

What kind of device do I need if I have a wireless router? I have 802.11g. I want to connect my HR-20 and my HD DVD player to the network but need some kind of device that has 2 ports to connect the two via eithernet cable and then connect wirelessly to my wireless network. Is there such a device? If so what is it called? I can check Newegg for prices. Thanks

Is there any way to take another wirless g router that I have laying around and use that? Make it connect to the other router which has my internet hard wired to it? In place of a Wirelss gaming adapter?

Yes, or a Wireless Gaming Adapter. I use a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP (which has 4 ethernet ports) with my HR21.

From what I can see this device would work great. I have WPA encryption on my wireless network. Will this connect to my SSID using the WPA key I have set up? Does it work nice with D-Link routers?

From what I have read in the users manual it will work. To bad Newegg is still sold out. Any idea where else I might be able to pick it up at? Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart?

From what I have read in the users manual it will work. To bad Newegg is still sold out. Any idea where else I might be able to pick it up at? Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart?

The Buffalo units may be hard to find (I got my latest at newegg). They are in a patent dispute and there is an injunction preventing Buffalo from importing any more wireless units. Other manufacturers may encounter the same problem. I'm pretty sure that any of the wireless ethernet bridges/adapters or wireless gaming adapters will work. Linksys WGA54G and WET54G are possibilities.

Video on demand is still beta right? To force the software update on my HR20-700 when exactly do I want to key 0-2-4-6-8 on the remote during startup?

Video on demand is still beta right? To force the software update on my HR20-700 when exactly do I want to key 0-2-4-6-8 on the remote during startup?

It says beta when you access it but the software has been made national, I thought you should have it by now. Any, to force an upgrade at the very first welcome screen enter the code, and nothing else.

Operating systems question

What operating systems are you guys using on the computer that serves the MP3s and JPGs to the HR21? I run WinXP SP2 on one machine and Mac OS X on the other. Has anybody tried this with a Mac or maybe a Linux Box?

Second question: from your posts it looks like there is no extra driver or server software required on the host computer (unlike if you use the D-Link Media Lounge player). Correct? Does the HR 21 understand the Windows file system to navigate to and play the files?

Thanks in advance! I may be able to get rid of the pesky D-Link Media Lounge box after all, if this works better! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

unplugging receiver and programming?

DOD and VOD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)