HR21 HD/DVR DIRECTV RECEIVER Compatibility with 3 LNB Oval Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

capric621@yahoo.com

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
I am about to purchase a HR21 HD/DVR DIRECTV RECEIVER off of ebay and I have two questions. One is it says that the receiver is leased and I have to set that up with Directv, will this cost me any more money if I already have the HD package and am replacing a regular receiver with this HD one? Secondly is will the HR21 HD/DVR DIRECTV RECEIVER work with my 3 LNB dish most places selling it say you need the new slim-line 5 LNB? Any help would be great!

Since it is a DVR it will cost you an extra $5.99 per month. Also it will work with the 3 LNB dish BUT You will not be able to receive any of the MPEG4 HD channels with it. Personally without having the Slimline dish you would be better off just buying a used HD Tivo.

Directv will probably give you a Slimline dish and install it for you.

Pay the full price for it. I think it's $799 or something.

Jag72: You said it is 5.99 a month for a DVR, but why is my DVR now that not high def no cost? Also how many channels are MPEG-4 and would I get all channels with a DVR Tivo?

MPeg 4 are the channels (most) that come from the 103 and soon 99 sats which the 3lnb dish does not pick up. You will get maybe 6 channels in HD with 3sat vs 50+ with a slimline.

Before buying from ebay, you may want to consider calling D* first, they should be able to give you a new receiver/dish/switch (if needed) for less than ebay if not free and install it for you.

You will be MUCH BETTER to call DirecTV, pay the $199 for the HD-DVR & Installation of the 5 lnb dish. It may even be less that $199, sometimes they have some discounts, but they are account specific.

Buying it off ebay leaves you at the mercy of the seller, it is still a leased box, and you then have to get / install a 5lnb dish on your own, or pay D* to do it.

Just make the call - you'll be much happier.

Well I appreciate all the help from you guys but now I have a new question. I understand what you are saying about the lease and getting it right from directv, no matter what I do though because of where I live and the crappy directv service I have it will take me a long time to get the dish put up by them, trust me. So here is my question I installed my 3LNB dish myself about a year ago, what a disaster but after much learning I finally got it to work. With all the work it took me to finally get this to work I have to ask if the new slimline 5 LNB is basically the principle to setup or if there are some new twists?

There are some new twists. It is much harder to tweak if you don't have some sort of signal detector.

Jag72: You said it is 5.99 a month for a DVR, but why is my DVR now that not high def no cost?

You never stated what programming package you have. Some packages have the DVR fee included.

Also how many channels are MPEG-4 and would I get all channels with a DVR Tivo?

As I stated before you will NOT receive any of the MPEG 4 channels with the Tivo. There are only currently about 10 MPEG2 HD channels that you could receive with the HD Tivo out all of the channels that they currently offer.

Personally I would call Directv and just get the 5LNB dish with a new DVR but you will be under a new 2 year commitment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts