HR21 Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ts10

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Hello! I just signed up with DTV a couple of weeks ago (got the HR 21 HD DVR) and these are the questions that I searched for and can't find answers to. Maybe someone on here knows:

1) The List sorting always defaults to Date (New) and I HATE this! I want it ALWAYS to sort Title (A-Z) by default but I can't find a way to change the default setting. Any ideas on this?

2) Is it possible to add a USB external HDD to save programming to like I had with Dish Network?

3) Under Setup / TV Resolutions I get to choose from 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i -- my TV is 1080p and DTV is sending 1080p tests now. Does this mean that I will only get to see the 1080p program in 1080i since the receiver doesn't seem to recognize 1080p as an acceptable resolution?

Thanks to all for your help!

Hello! I just signed up with DTV a couple of weeks ago (got the HR 21 HD DVR) and these are the questions that I searched for and can't find answers to. Maybe someone on here knows:

1) The List sorting always defaults to Date (New) and I HATE this! I want it ALWAYS to sort Title (A-Z) by default but I can't find a way to change the default setting. Any ideas on this?

2) Is it possible to add a USB external HDD to save programming to like I had with Dish Network?

3) Under Setup / TV Resolutions I get to choose from 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i -- my TV is 1080p and DTV is sending 1080p tests now. Does this mean that I will only get to see the 1080p program in 1080i since the receiver doesn't seem to recognize 1080p as an acceptable resolution?

Thanks to all for your help!

Here you go:

#1 - You need to enable the backdoor options setting. To do that go to "Search for Shows", then do a "Keyword" search for IAMANEDGECUTTER then ALL for the category. The search will not find anything, but the backdoor is now enabled. On the front panel press the MENU and INFO buttons at the same time, you should now get a new menu where you can chance the playlist sort default.

#2 - No USB but you can add a eSATA drive. It's not an addition to the internal drive but a total replacement. Do some searchs here and at DBSTalk for more info and what drives work.

#3 - The 1080p testing has just started. At this time for the HR20 (only at this time, not the HR21) you need to install the latest CE (Cutting Edge) software, see the cutting edge subforum for what that process is. Please don't join if all you want is the new feature, they would like you to test all new software releases when they come out. Anyway, with the new software installed, and the box set to Native output if the program is in 1080p and your TV can support 1080p/24 then the box will automatically switch to 1080p (720p and 1080i LED's light up).

Hope that answers your questions.

rad:

1) Thanks for the help. I completed the steps you provided in step one for IAMANEDGECUTTER

I then went into playlist but it remained the same. I can change my playlist options but only for this visit. It always defaults back to the old sort. Am I missing something?

2) Thanks...I'll check that out!

3) I will certainly join. I would prefer to test out the new features as they come out.

After doing the search did you press menu and info onthe front panel and get a new menu where you could change the playlist default (select Title (A-Z) and curson to OK and press enter?

Ahhh, I apologize. I missed that step. Found it and it worked beautifully! Thank you.

Last question, hopefully for now, I had native turned off, so I turned it on and suddenly all my screen was now blurry and apparently in a much lower resolution. When native is turned off, is it attempting to up-convert to 1080i?

Ahhh, I apologize. I missed that step. Found it and it worked beautifully! Thank you.

Last question, hopefully for now, I had native turned off, so I turned it on and suddenly all my screen was now blurry and apparently in a much lower resolution. When native is turned off, is it attempting to up-convert to 1080i?

When native is turned off the box will output whatever resolution you have choosen. In the HDTV settings you can select the four different output resolutions you want to use. You can then use the FORMAT button on your remote (top left corner) to select what resolution and screen formatting you want to use.

Is there any disadvantage to just leaving it at 1080i ?

What I usually tell people with that question is to just play around looking at how you like the picture at either 720p or 1080i and they just use that resolution. There are others that agree with that and others that say you should use native output all the time, to me it's just personal choice as to what to use.

Is 1080p expected to be released for the HR21 soon?

Thanks again for all your help.

Is 1080p expected to be released for the HR21 soon?

Thanks again for all your help.

I haven't seen anything one way or the other on this. But D*'s been trying to keep the feature set on the HR20 and HR21 fairly close lately so I would hope to see if show up soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts