HR21 Takes Over Network Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Happy Camper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Central Texas
Some of this has been discussed elsewhere, but this particular problem bothers me-can anyone help?

We have Verizon FIOS 15/15 fiber optic internet and we use Verizon's router for both hard wire ethernet and wireless household networking. We have a hard wired ethernet with three computers on it, three IP based security cameras and a Slingbox connected to an older R10 TiVo based standard def DVR.

I was finally able to get our HR21-700 to connect to the network, and to function perfectly with downloads, etc., but whenever it is plugged into the network, none of the other computers will work-e.g., they will not connect to the internet. This happens whether or not the HR21 is "doing anything" like downloading, etc. Unplug the HR21, everything is fine, and everything works fine on the HR21 when the HR21 is plugged in, but nothing else does.

I'm thinking this problemo has something to do with how my router and network are assigning IPs, but I'm not sure.

Is there any way I can get my network computers and my HR21 to coexist?

Thanks, guys, for any help.

Regards,
The Camper

I think you may have an ip conflict with the HR-21. I'd go to the network setup of the hr-21 and see what ip is currently assigned. I'd suggest changing it.

Yep, its not that your DVR is taking over anything it sounds like you still have your network setup to dynamically assign IPs and I also think there is an IP conflict; you should switch to assigned IPs - so basically it would be a home network setup issue.

Some of this has been discussed elsewhere, but this particular problem bothers me-can anyone help?

We have Verizon FIOS 15/15 fiber optic internet and we use Verizon's router for both hard wire ethernet and wireless household networking. We have a hard wired ethernet with three computers on it, three IP based security cameras and a Slingbox connected to an older R10 TiVo based standard def DVR.

I was finally able to get our HR21-700 to connect to the network, and to function perfectly with downloads, etc., but whenever it is plugged into the network, none of the other computers will work-e.g., they will not connect to the internet. This happens whether or not the HR21 is "doing anything" like downloading, etc. Unplug the HR21, everything is fine, and everything works fine on the HR21 when the HR21 is plugged in, but nothing else does.

I'm thinking this problemo has something to do with how my router and network are assigning IPs, but I'm not sure.

Is there any way I can get my network computers and my HR21 to coexist?

Thanks, guys, for any help.

Regards,
The Camper

IMO I would start looking at the Actiontec 1st. I have that issue with my 360 hardwired to my Actiontec sometimes. I found out that some have bad ports.

Thanks, guys. I have a newer modem than the ActionTec, and the ports are good, and I have two network switches with good ports beyond that. I went to assigned IPs below the first fifty possible assignations for the HR21 and my security cameras, which lets the network dynamically assign IPs above that number for everything else. Worked like a charm. Of course, if you are downloading a VOD movie, it can slow down your network, but we have the FIOS 15/15 service, so by comparison to other options, it's lightning fast.

I always appreciate the incredible amount of knowledge on this board and the kindness of those who share it.

Regards,
The Camper

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)