HR21 to HR24...Worth The Upgrade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWDYEM2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Hey Guys,

My contract is expired and I am thinking about calling DirecTV for an upgrade. I currently have two HR20's in my bedrooms and an HR21 in my living room. I am using the whole-home service and have they all connected to the Internet with wireless adapters (one hardwired to the router). However, I know the HR20's and HR21's can be sluggish at times and I have had my fair share of frustrating moments with them. I am just wondering if it's worth the contract extension to upgrade to the latest HR24. Is this receiver much faster and any better? Just trying to get an idea as to how the HR24's perform and if they offer any additional features? This forum is usually very useful for advice like this. So, I thought I would run it by you guys. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks In Advance...

I love my HR24-200's. They are leaps and bounds faster than my old HR21. As far as I know right now, the software feature set is the same on all HR2X series receivers, so the only reason to upgrade now, would be for the faster controls. The HR24's do have built in Decas, so it would eliminate that hanging off the back. I also really like the touch panel front, rather than buttons. Looks cleaner.

Are you planning on going anywhere in the next two years? If not, the commitment issue is moot.

I like my HR24's very well, much faster than anything else.
I also still have HR20's that I like very well.
HR21-23's I would replace as they are more sluggish than the HR20's.
Personally, I think they took a step BACK when they brought out the 21-23 series.
The took away features that the 20's had (no longer came with OTA Tuners).
IF they would put the OTA tuners back in the 24's or in future units, they would be better yet.

As for the contract, thats up to you and your personal situation .....
It makes no difference to me to have a contract, I'll be here.
a) It cost to much to change to another provider to duplicate my current service.
b) No one else has the ability to watch my NFL team on Sundays.

The thing is that DirecTV will not promise you HR24s. They don't consider going from HR20 to HR24 an upgrade, they consider them the same thing, just an HDDVR.

That said, many of us have upgraded, but at our own cost. It will cost you the $199'ish (buying from an internet retailer) and 2 years contract.

If DirecTV sells you a new HDDVR or two, whether at $0, $99, or $199, you could get HR24's, but you could also get reman HR20 or HR21.

Keep that in mind.

HR24 Final Verdict

I know that threads like this are more useful if they get a final solution and verdict (rather than being left open without a final result). I also know that information like this helps the forum and content helps the site overall. So, I thought I would share my thoughts for information purposes.

BTW, I just finished typing a lengthy response to this thread, but I accidently hit the back button on my browser (arggh) and I lost the text.

:facepalmSo, I am re-typing it again.

Ok..So, I took a gamble and ordered an HR24-500 from an online retailer on Amazon, rather than using ebay (as you never know what you’ll get). My HR24 got here in two days as I a chose a seller that was within 100 miles from me and had a good reputation. When I opened it up, it was brand new, with the sealing still on the receiver and the card still in the unopened package. The receiver ID and card ID all matched perfectly.

When calling DirecTV to activate the receiver, they told me two things that I was pretty happy to hear;
  1. My contract does NOT need to be renewed in order to active the receiver. :up I asked them multiple times to confirm. The nice lady who helped me assured me that my contract expires next month due to my last HD-DVR purchase through them 23 months ago (which I got for $75) and that my contract will not extend after activation of this receiver. Not that I plan on leaving DirecTV anytime soon. I’ve been with them for 15 years and I don’t think any other TV service comes close. I also need my Sunday ticket and my 49ers games like I need air.
  2. She also assured me that the receiver is NOT leased and it’s mine to do what I want with if I deactivate it from my service. Again, this isn’t a big deal to me either as it’s pretty much useless if I ever cancel DirecTV, which I probably never will. I guess I could sell it. But, the day I cancel directv (if ever), I am sure they will have something better.
Anyway, I hooked it up, connected it to a 2TB external hard drive (via the SATA port) as well as Linksys Wireless Adapter. After clicking around on it and giving it the full work-through and test, I have to say that I am extremely pleased with this IRD. The HR24 is, by far, the best DirecTV receiver they have yet to make. :clap It’s very smooth with great response time. There is no lag or choppiness when changing channels or sending commands. It also doesn’t ever glitch up when trying to punch in a channel number or pull up the guide
Even the on-demand functions seem to work seamlessly. I have it wirelessly connected using a 5Ghz connection to my duel band router. HD movies take no longer then 10-15 minutes to download. I am even able to download on-demand 3D content in about 25 minutes (at the most). Granted, I also have extremely fast internet speeds (at 50MB/s download) which costs $100/month. However, I need this kind of speed for my home-based business).

My house now has (4) HD-DVR’s; all connected to my router and all using the Whole-Home service;
  • One in My Living Room: (1) HR24 (w/ 3D LED TV) w/ 1TB External Drive
  • Two in My Office: (1) HR20-700 & (1) HR21-100)
  • One in My Bedroom: (1) HR20-700
Now, I guess I can record 8 things at once if I want (not that I will ever need to).
I am now enjoying my DirecTV service more than I ever have before.

I just wish I had one of these HR24’s for every room. I am actually considering ordering another one or two, but I keep waiting for them to come out with a new TIVO box (as I have heard they will eventually do)

Now, on another note: I’d like to point out one thing with the “whole home” service. ‘ll try not to confuse anyone though;

If you are going to share DVR’s using the “Whole Home”, I’d highly suggest making sure that you don’t share content between two wirelessly connected DVR’s. Make sure one of the receivers that you are (pulling the content from or watching the content on) is hardwired to the router.
Example: If you are watching something on a receiver (that is wirelessly connected), but the content you are watching is actually recorded or another receiver (that is also wirelessly connected). You will notice some choppiness and lagging.
Again, make sure at least one of the receivers (preferably your main DVR that you record the most stuff on) is hardwired to your router. If you can’t hardware your main receiver to the router, then make sure the other ones are hardwired (if possible). What I am basically saying is that the whole-home works best when they are hardwired, rather than wireless. It’s not enjoyable when using two wireless receivers to communicate with each other.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. But as for the lease, I really think you should check your account quite carefully.

The boxes I've seen all have a pretty clear notice on them that it's a leased piece of equipment.

Hey Guys,

My contract is expired and I am thinking about calling DirecTV for an upgrade. I currently have two HR20's in my bedrooms and an HR21 in my living room. I am using the whole-home service and have they all connected to the Internet with wireless adapters (one hardwired to the router). However, I know the HR20's and HR21's can be sluggish at times and I have had my fair share of frustrating moments with them. I am just wondering if it's worth the contract extension to upgrade to the latest HR24. Is this receiver much faster and any better? Just trying to get an idea as to how the HR24's perform and if they offer any additional features? This forum is usually very useful for advice like this. So, I thought I would run it by you guys. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks In Advance...

Well, worth it depends on you and what they will charge.
If the upgrade is free, then yes it would be well worth upgrading if they can guarantee you an HR24 (which they can not).
If it is $200 (or whatever they charge you) then I suppose that is up to you if you want to pay $200 for a piece of equipment you still do not own. (and it still does not guarantee you an HR24 if you order through D*)

That being said, I am a little confused as MRV is less then a year old in my area (hell, SWM being a permanent install is barely over a year old) and if you have MRV then you are either a new customer or renewed your contract when installing. (unless you upgraded MRV yourself). Are you sure your contact is up?

Anyways, I see no real issue with renewing as contracts are now just a part of life.
You plan on having TV for a long time and you obviously like DirecTv enough that you are not planning on leaving them or you would not be making this post.
Your only issue is the one receiver.

Ditto on the conract issue. I know it's an individualized issue but I've been out of contract since last Oct and I'm not going anywhere. Reason: "Sports" ;)

I just read a little diatriabe over on the other main satt board. More "anti-sports" slanted stuff, comments like ST sub's being "wet behind the ears", etc. I am a subs for much more sports than just ST. The thing that was a little disappointing to me about that guy's post was the # of "+1"'s that it received.

Kind of a waste to hook a 1TB external drive to an HR24 unless you really do a ton of recording as the HR24 already has a 500GB hard drive.
Not like it can be moved or even used as a back up and it shuts down the internal HD.
If you want to hook up an external hard drive, why not do it to one of the HR20's?

DWDYEM - I don't know if you misunderstood the CSR or if they did not know what they were talking about, but:
1) your HR24 is DEFINITELY leased not owned, unless you bought a used one from an ex-DirecTV employee
2) Activating your HR24 DOES start a new 24-month contract commitment.

I know that threads like this are more useful if they get a final solution and verdict (rather than being left open without a final result). I also know that information like this helps the forum and content helps the site overall. So, I thought I would share my thoughts for information purposes.

BTW, I just finished typing a lengthy response to this thread, but I accidently hit the back button on my browser (arggh) and I lost the text.

:facepalmSo, I am re-typing it again.

Ok..So, I took a gamble and ordered an HR24-500 from an online retailer on Amazon, rather than using ebay (as you never know what you’ll get). My HR24 got here in two days as I a chose a seller that was within 100 miles from me and had a good reputation. When I opened it up, it was brand new, with the sealing still on the receiver and the card still in the unopened package. The receiver ID and card ID all matched perfectly.

When calling DirecTV to activate the receiver, they told me two things that I was pretty happy to hear;
  1. My contract does NOT need to be renewed in order to active the receiver. :up I asked them multiple times to confirm. The nice lady who helped me assured me that my contract expires next month due to my last HD-DVR purchase through them 23 months ago (which I got for $75) and that my contract will not extend after activation of this receiver. Not that I plan on leaving DirecTV anytime soon. I’ve been with them for 15 years and I don’t think any other TV service comes close. I also need my Sunday ticket and my 49ers games like I need air.
  2. She also assured me that the receiver is NOT leased and it’s mine to do what I want with if I deactivate it from my service. Again, this isn’t a big deal to me either as it’s pretty much useless if I ever cancel DirecTV, which I probably never will. I guess I could sell it. But, the day I cancel directv (if ever), I am sure they will have something better.
Anyway, I hooked it up, connected it to a 2TB external hard drive (via the SATA port) as well as Linksys Wireless Adapter. After clicking around on it and giving it the full work-through and test, I have to say that I am extremely pleased with this IRD. The HR24 is, by far, the best DirecTV receiver they have yet to make. :clap It’s very smooth with great response time. There is no lag or choppiness when changing channels or sending commands. It also doesn’t ever glitch up when trying to punch in a channel number or pull up the guide
Even the on-demand functions seem to work seamlessly. I have it wirelessly connected using a 5Ghz connection to my duel band router. HD movies take no longer then 10-15 minutes to download. I am even able to download on-demand 3D content in about 25 minutes (at the most). Granted, I also have extremely fast internet speeds (at 50MB/s download) which costs $100/month. However, I need this kind of speed for my home-based business).

My house now has (4) HD-DVR’s; all connected to my router and all using the Whole-Home service;
  • One in My Living Room: (1) HR24 (w/ 3D LED TV) w/ 1TB External Drive
  • Two in My Office: (1) HR20-700 & (1) HR21-100)
  • One in My Bedroom: (1) HR20-700
Now, I guess I can record 8 things at once if I want (not that I will ever need to).
I am now enjoying my DirecTV service more than I ever have before.

I just wish I had one of these HR24’s for every room. I am actually considering ordering another one or two, but I keep waiting for them to come out with a new TIVO box (as I have heard they will eventually do)

Now, on another note: I’d like to point out one thing with the “whole home” service. ‘ll try not to confuse anyone though;

If you are going to share DVR’s using the “Whole Home”, I’d highly suggest making sure that you don’t share content between two wirelessly connected DVR’s. Make sure one of the receivers that you are (pulling the content from or watching the content on) is hardwired to the router.
Example: If you are watching something on a receiver (that is wirelessly connected), but the content you are watching is actually recorded or another receiver (that is also wirelessly connected). You will notice some choppiness and lagging.
Again, make sure at least one of the receivers (preferably your main DVR that you record the most stuff on) is hardwired to your router. If you can’t hardware your main receiver to the router, then make sure the other ones are hardwired (if possible). What I am basically saying is that the whole-home works best when they are hardwired, rather than wireless. It’s not enjoyable when using two wireless receivers to communicate with each other.

Sorry for the bad news, but as others have said, you will be in a new 24 month commitment and the unit is a lease. The only way out of this is if the new dvr is replacing a defective leased unit, then there is no new commitment, but the unit will still be leased. The csr gave you some bad information.

Unless you paid about $700 for the unit, then it is leased and not owned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)