HR22 ethernet question

bratboy

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2005
Denver CO
Okay well the repair guy just left, apparently he finally decided that perhaps my HR20 was the issue so he replaced it with a new HR-22.

My question is on the HR-20 I know only the one ether port worked and so I had to use an external router so that both it and my blu-ray dvd player could access the internet. With the 22 do I still need to use the router or can I just plug my DVD player to the 2nd ether port on the 22 and it will function as a router?

Okay well the repair guy just left, apparently he finally decided that perhaps my HR20 was the issue so he replaced it with a new HR-22.

My question is on the HR-20 I know only the one ether port worked and so I had to use an external router so that both it and my blu-ray dvd player could access the internet. With the 22 do I still need to use the router or can I just plug my DVD player to the 2nd ether port on the 22 and it will function as a router?

It doesn't act as a router, just a pass through port, so you still need the router.

Okay well not completely sure on things so pardon the dumb question. Right now I have things set up with a ether cable running from my main modem/router to a router behind my audio center and then both the DTV unit and the DVD player plugged into that 2nd router. Do I still need that setup or can I simply plug my DVD player into the 2nd port on the new unit and eliminate the 2nd router since I only use one or the other thing at time.

OK, since you have another router that's acting as your main router then you should be OK to eliminate the one at the audio center.

The key is you need at least one in your network that provides network address translation so multiple devices can look like one on the internet connection to your ISP. You also need it to supply DHCP services on your internal network, unless you are putting static IP addressing on every device on your network. So as long as your main router is doing these functions then you'll be OK getting rid of the 2nd one and using the passthrough on the 2nd port on your HR22.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts