HR23-700 died power supply

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madmadworld

Official TV Watcher
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 7, 2006
up on the roof in SinCity
found it with no pretty blue lights on the front. pulled it out a bit checked all the wiring looked good. unplugged everything had it out in front of me on the floor and replugged the power in, then the unit put out a small puff of smoke (nasty+ smell) and that was that.

opened her up and found that burn on the power supply board. bought another unit for a new power supply, installed it and still no boot up. sad i was.

pulled the hard drive out, it was fried too. my guess it power surged and messed up everything... for me and my Saturday.
the end

Attachments

• PIC_6570.JPG
    PIC_6570.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 829
  • PIC_6571.JPG
    PIC_6571.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 777
  • PIC_6572.JPG
    PIC_6572.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 852
Have you contacted Directv to get a replacement? Make sure they don't give or extend any contract you may have. I hope they don't ding you for opening it up.

Over the decades I have learned that all electronics need that smoke inside them to work, once you let it out they are dead.

If you actually own the unit, just pull the HD out and save your 300gb of recordings. Of course you will need a working donor to put it in.

opened her up and found that burn on the power supply board. bought another unit for a new power supply, installed it and still no boot up. sad i was.

pulled the hard drive out, it was fried too. my guess it power surged and messed up everything... for me and my Saturday.
the end

You've got two bad capacitors on the pwr supply board in the pictures too, you can see the tops swelled on them.

What fried on the hard drive? If it was a surge, then the platters and heads are probably ok and maybe you could change the ckt board on the drive. I don't know if Direct uses any locking scheme on their drives so they'll only work on the one unit that the drive came out of, but if they don't, that would be an option. Course, you'd have to find a drive for a donor board. What brand and model drive is it?

You've got two bad capacitors on the pwr supply board in the pictures too, you can see the tops swelled on them.
good eye on that.
was so bummed out
What fried on the hard drive? If it was a surge, then the platters and heads are probably ok and maybe you could change the ckt board on the drive. I don't know if Direct uses any locking scheme on their drives so they'll only work on the one unit that the drive came out of, but if they don't, that would be an option. Course, you'd have to find a drive for a donor board. What brand and model drive is it?
i have the other unit with a spinning HD. could swap the board. have done that before and it worked on the wifes computer.
but i wonder if it did not blow out the main board also. the only front blue light that comes on is the power button. the fan and the reset button also work.
talking myself into doing more tinkering with it is the hard part now.

Direct does tie the HD to the unit.

thanks for the reply

good eye on that.
was so bummed out

i have the other unit with a spinning HD. could swap the board. have done that before and it worked on the wifes computer.
but i wonder if it did not blow out the main board also. the only front blue light that comes on is the power button. the fan and the reset button also work.
talking myself into doing more tinkering with it is the hard part now.

Direct does tie the HD to the unit.

thanks for the reply

Sounds like there probably is a problem on the main board too. Maybe a pico fuse somewhere on there, if you're real lucky. Bad that Direct does tie the HD to the unit, swapping hard drive boards probably won't work then. Might, but chances are it won't. You could look on the drive's board and there may be a pico fuse on there too, some drives have them, usually it's something else that blows though.

I feel for you, I had a one TB WD drive in my media center PC crap out on me a while ago and while I did get the drive replaced for free, all the recordings were lost.

If you take the hard drive out of the working unit and power it up without a drive in it, does it do more than just show the blue lights, like yours does? maybe it needs the drive to fully power up? Don't know, just thought maybe might be worth trying and if it only shows just the lights that way then maybe the problem is only with the drive on yours.

Probably not, I just looked back and saw in your post where you tried the spinning drive on your board. Unless it's something to do with the drive being tied to the one specific unit.

If you take the hard drive out of the working unit and power it up without a drive in it, does it do more than just show the blue lights, like yours does? maybe it needs the drive to fully power up? Don't know, just thought maybe might be worth trying and if it only shows just the lights that way then maybe the problem is only with the drive on yours.

Probably not, I just looked back and saw in your post where you tried the spinning drive on your board. Unless it's something to do with the drive being tied to the one specific unit.

in these units when you put a new/unknown HD in it will reformat it. and that's when the marriage/tie begins.
thank for reply

yea we love hard drives then we hate them
the hard drive giveth and the hard drive taketh away :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)