Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
No doubt I love TiVo but I cannot go without NFLST so I wanted to ask if anyone has even heard of a soft release for the next DirecTiVo? DirecTV has been saying for a year it is coming, but it looks more like vaporware every day and I need something better than the gawd-awful slow HR-20 I huge now. I don't think it is supposed to take 2-3 seconds to change channels, but it does :(

TIA all!

I really doubt that the DirecTiVO will be here anytime soon. It is WAY past due, and is a day late and a dollar short. Besides, I suspect it simply will not compete with other units out there. Yep, I'd say look at the 24.

Disclaimer: I do not have D*, I have E*, but I try to keep up with TiVO. They really don't have, IMHO, a realistic long term business plan.

I have (2) 24-500s and they are great. Much faster than any other D* stb. I am considering upgrading my HR-20 to a DirecTivo. Have to wait and see when/if it comes out and what the reviews are upon release.

Well it seems everybody is pretty happy with the HR-24 so I guess I'll go that route and keep my TiVo on OTA. Time to starting dialing for deals! Who is the preferred SatelliteGuys vendor these days?

I do not understand the fascination with TiVo. Are these the same people whom want the latest and greatest IBM PC 5150 with not one, but two Floppy Disc slots and memory upgradable to 256 kB? ;):D:p

The new HD DirecTIVO is rumored to be based on the HR20. I don't see any reason to go with a new HD DirecTIVO instead of a HR24

HR24. Simply put, its here, its available, its fast, it does advanced features (youtube, on demand, MRV, etc.) And you can get deals if you ask for retention when you call up Directv. Just say you are thinking of going to Dish or Cable.

Well it seems everybody is pretty happy with the HR-24 so I guess I'll go that route and keep my TiVo on OTA. Time to starting dialing for deals! Who is the preferred SatelliteGuys vendor these days?
Try using Dishstore.net. The link is at the top of the page. They sell Directv but if you don't see anything on their website, you may have to call them.

Yeah I dont get why some people get a woody over hearing the word "Tivo" :rolleyes:

But then I dont understand why hot dogs come 10 to a pack yet buns are 8 to a pack

Try using Dishstore.net. The link is at the top of the page. They sell Directv but if you don't see anything on their website, you may have to call them.

Yes, Give Dish Store a call, ask for Claude, he's a member here (in case you didn't know)

The bottom line with TiVo is it has and has always had the best UI. Ask Echostar $500M later. Just as Apple is better then Windows on the same premise ... It just works. Also, with an HR24 I cannot access Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime. The D * receivers have been of poor quality ever since they cut off the good manufactures like TiVo, Sony and Samsung. As it happens I am in the market for a new tv too so I'll probably just order a new Bravia that will do all that.

Some will beg to disagree on the Apple part as their comps for more for playing while Windoze is used more for the business world.

As for the DVR, I used Tivo and I didn't care for the product. Just want something to record the show on my terms and not have all those fancy crapola.

The bottom line with TiVo is it has and has always had the best UI. Ask Echostar $500M later. Just as Apple is better then Windows on the same premise ...

KimmiKat said:
Some will beg to disagree on the Apple part as their comps for more for playing while Windoze is used more for the business world.

As for the DVR, I used Tivo and I didn't care for the product. Just want something to record the show on my terms and not have all those fancy crapola.

Microsoft has made their bones in business, no doubt. That is why I use windows at the office. But at home it is all Apple and I have not have any form of malware since departing windows in about 2004. First to Linux, now to Apple.

As far as TiVo versus others, definitely a preference, and also my preference. Certainly not for everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts