HR24 and THR22 Together?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pensfan14

Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
NY
I'm about to call DTV and upgrade to a THR22 (yes yes, I know - old technology, no whole home, etc. but I miss the interface/ease of it). I'm planning to swap out a troublesome H24 with the HR24, leaving 2 H24s, HR24, and soon to be THR22 on the account.

Is it possible to run both a HR24 and THR22 on the same account? (I know there's no whole home between them. I just want to make sure DTV will allow this and the cabling is right for both). I plan to take the "whole home" feature and sort of make it a "half home" after all is said and done lol. As in, keep everything recording on the HR24 so the H24s can access the HR24's recordings. The THR22 will be kept alone in the basement.

Also - we've had 3 TiVo DVRs on the account prior to 2011. Are we exempt from that TiVo fee (that "lifetime" TiVo I've read about) or is it an extra $5?

Sure, you can have both on the same account. I don't know if the lifetime exemption would apply since you haven't had an active account all along. Call and ask.

One more question -

I've got the whole home set up right now (HR24 and 2 H24s). If I order the tivo from Directv or another site and have it shipped to me, do I need an installer to come out and mess around with my wires/connections?

AKA, when the receiver comes in the mail, can I just plug it in and go, or does more need to be done?

If you have you Slimline SWM Dish already up and running and have access to the SWM splitter, you could in theory do the work yourself.

You would only have 6 tuners on the account so as long as the splitter is an 8 way, your good.

Also - we've had 3 TiVo DVRs on the account prior to 2011. Are we exempt from that TiVo fee (that "lifetime" TiVo I've read about) or is it an extra $5?
as long as you have one on the account prior to 2011 you still shouldnt have that $5 Tivo fee

If you have you Slimline SWM Dish already up and running and have access to the SWM splitter, you could in theory do the work yourself.

You would only have 6 tuners on the account so as long as the splitter is an 8 way, your good.
We've got an 8 way downstairs. When the receiver comes in the mail, all I need to do is hook it up (aka just plug the wires into it)? We've got a Slimline right now with the SWM, so hopefully I don't need to get on the roof and run cables or anything. If I did this right - THR22 (2 tuners), HR24 (2 tuners), H24 (1 tuner), H24 (1 tuner) = 6 used tuners, 2 remaining. If a receiver is powered off, it isn't using a tuner, correct?

Also, not sure if this question is related to the tuners, but: occasionally, we'll receive the 775 (haven't had it lately, knock on wood). I was thinking that it had something to do with the SWM, but I'm not positive. We did some non-related work downstairs and I think moving it around helped to solve the issue. Will we get the 775 message with the THR22 still or will it (hopefully) stay away?

as long as you have one on the account prior to 2011 you still shouldnt have that $5 Tivo fee
The Tivo we had hasn't been active since Dec. 2010, so I'm probably SOL (grrr). But hey, if I'm paying an extra $5 for a great receiver (well, IMO better than the HR24 lol), I don't really mind. I think we did pay a Tivo fee of some sort back then, or it could've been the DVR fee. I don't remember. All I know is if we hadn't switched to HD, we most likely still would've been using our Tivo from 2004 lol

We've got an 8 way downstairs. When the receiver comes in the mail, all I need to do is hook it up (aka just plug the wires into it)? We've got a Slimline right now with the SWM, so hopefully I don't need to get on the roof and run cables or anything. If I did this right - THR22 (2 tuners), HR24 (2 tuners), H24 (1 tuner), H24 (1 tuner) = 6 used tuners, 2 remaining. If a receiver is powered off, it isn't using a tuner, correct?

Also, not sure if this question is related to the tuners, but: occasionally, we'll receive the 775 (haven't had it lately, knock on wood). I was thinking that it had something to do with the SWM, but I'm not positive. We did some non-related work downstairs and I think moving it around helped to solve the issue. Will we get the 775 message with the THR22 still or will it (hopefully) stay away?

The Tivo we had hasn't been active since Dec. 2010, so I'm probably SOL (grrr). But hey, if I'm paying an extra $5 for a great receiver (well, IMO better than the HR24 lol), I don't really mind. I think we did pay a Tivo fee of some sort back then, or it could've been the DVR fee. I don't remember. All I know is if we hadn't switched to HD, we most likely still would've been using our Tivo from 2004 lol
Your correct about the 6 tuners.

Problem Communicating w/ Dish

* SWiM power inserter may need to be plugged in.

* The network can't detect the SWiM due to power loss to the SWiM.

* No SWiM installation is present

Could be a problem with a outside connector from the LNB to 8 way or Temp loss of power from AC

*sarcasm* there was recently a fw update to all tivos that caused an immediate 775/771 and directv recommends replaci ng with an hr to remedy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm about to call DTV and upgrade to a THR22 (yes yes, I know - old technology, no whole home, etc. but I miss the interface/ease of it). I'm planning to swap out a troublesome H24 with the HR24, leaving 2 H24s, HR24, and soon to be THR22 on the account.

Is it possible to run both a HR24 and THR22 on the same account? (I know there's no whole home between them. I just want to make sure DTV will allow this and the cabling is right for both). I plan to take the "whole home" feature and sort of make it a "half home" after all is said and done lol. As in, keep everything recording on the HR24 so the H24s can access the HR24's recordings. The THR22 will be kept alone in the basement.

Lifetime of TiVO applies to the lifetime of the TiVO hardware, not the account. Since you are getting a new TiVO, you need to pay the $5.00 TiVO monthly fee

Problem Communicating w/ Dish

* SWiM power inserter may need to be plugged in.

* The network can't detect the SWiM due to power loss to the SWiM.

* No SWiM installation is present

Could be a problem with a outside connector from the LNB to 8 way or Temp loss of power from AC
It's probably some cabling outside, but I'm not going to dig up the problem until it happens again (hopefully not). We had at least 5 botched installs when we got the whole home installed. First guy kept leaving, came back and got them to sort of work, said he had to go to his son's school event and left (never came back). Second guy said it's fine, but replaced some part on the dish and mounted something upside down (??). Third guy fixed the upside down thing, figured it was fine. Fourth guy found out that guy #2 and #3 never fixed the thing that was mounted upside down, didn't know how to fix it. Fifth guy FINALLY knew what was wrong and fixed everything - we've been good since then. That's why I always get nervous when the techs come out lol

*sarcasm* there was recently a fw update to all tivos that caused an immediate 775/771 and directv recommends replaci ng with an hr to remedy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That actually made me lol. Since we got the new dish (slimline), I've noticed that the signal isn't as "sensitive" when the weather gets bad. Input 1 is the most sensitive (HD), but that's easily fixed by switching over to the SD feeds until the storm/snow passes.

But really (no sarcasm with this one ;)), the interface of the H/HRs made me want to go back. But then again, I'm used to how tivo used to look. We did have an old D10-300 back in the day in the spare room, but tivo was still our top pick.

SWM channels are not dependent on splitter size. So even if the TS had a 4 way, it would like still work.
Good point, your right, he'll only have 4 cables to be connected to the splitter.
I tend to recommend 8 ways splitters so you already have room for expansion.

It's probably some cabling outside, but I'm not going to dig up the problem until it happens again (hopefully not). We had at least 5 botched installs when we got the whole home installed. First guy kept leaving, came back and got them to sort of work, said he had to go to his son's school event and left (never came back). Second guy said it's fine, but replaced some part on the dish and mounted something upside down (??). Third guy fixed the upside down thing, figured it was fine. Fourth guy found out that guy #2 and #3 never fixed the thing that was mounted upside down, didn't know how to fix it. Fifth guy FINALLY knew what was wrong and fixed everything - we've been good since then. That's why I always get nervous when the techs come out lol

That actually made me lol. Since we got the new dish (slimline), I've noticed that the signal isn't as "sensitive" when the weather gets bad. Input 1 is the most sensitive (HD), but that's easily fixed by switching over to the SD feeds until the storm/snow passes.

But really (no sarcasm with this one ;)), the interface of the H/HRs made me want to go back. But then again, I'm used to how tivo used to look. We did have an old D10-300 back in the day in the spare room, but tivo was still our top pick.
I'm curious, what was Upside down that didn't work and why would something upside down not work ?
Can't mount the dish Or the LNB upside down.

Good point, your right, he'll only have 4 cables to be connected to the splitter.
I tend to recommend 8 ways splitters so you already have room for expansion.
Acually you are not supposed to have a larger splitter then your system requires.
If you need to expand your system in the future, Swm splitters are very easy to come by, and very inexpensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Acually you are not supposed to have a larger splitter then your system requires.
If you need to expand your system in the future, Swm splitters are very easy to come by, and very inexpensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Ok, so if I have 5 tuners, I would need an 8, how do the other 3 ports hurt ?
Signal loss is not that great.

hmmm then why did Directv install a 8 way when I had 2 R22's and a H23 for a while?
There were 4 ports not used

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)