HR24 internal temperature range

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swzine

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
GA
What is a reasonable range for internal temperature on these units? It's pretty cool how you can check the temperature in the system setup.

I moved the unit into a cabinet. I might add a fan, but don't feel like dealing with the noise unless it's necessary. I noticed outside of the cabinet it was at 109 degrees. Inside the cabinet it's reading 114. I've been keeping an eye on the temp to see how it changes. Does it have some kind of automatic shut off when it hits a certain temperature?

I might just hook up a USB fan, so that it shuts on and off with the DVR. I plugged my Iphone into the USB port and saw that it charges my phone, so it should run a small USB fan. I know the HR24 is too cool to hide in a cabinet, but I really don't care to look at it!

Mines running about 118 in a cabinet, I'm not at all concerned about it.
The old HR20's use to run at 127* at the highest, normally around 122*, if my HR24 went into the mid to high 120's I would be concerned.

Currently my HR24 is running at 120*.

Fwiw, My HR20-700 that was running 127* in the cabinet, is now OUT of the cabinet and running at 126*, A 1* difference, I doubt that it's a problem.

Mine is at 113. I have it in the same place where the 722 from Dish Network was, the 722 always ran at 118-120. I wouldn't worry with 114.

Randell, inside or outside of a cabinet ?

It's a cabinet but I don't close the door. Let me find a picture, I have it somewhere here with the 722.

Found it. BTW, the little speakers are long time gone. :D

Attachments

• 722.jpg
    722.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 296
My DVR was running at an internal temp of 114. I hooked up a small USB fan and now it runs at 102. :)

One of my 24's is in a cabinet and running 111. My other is outside of cabinet and hooked up to my FP. I will check it tonight.:)

Mine went from 109-113 when I added the EHD. I figure it's reporting the EHD temps.

This I don't understand at all .... :confused:

The EHD has Nothing to do with the operation of the rest of the system.
You would think that if anything it would DROP the temp some, IF it shuts down the internal HD when the EHD is connected.

I can't imagine it recording the EHD's temps.

As far as I know, the temp you normally see on the status screen is from the internal HDD, and it's been speculated that it just pulls the SMART data. It's not far fetched at all that it would pull the SMART data from the EHD.

As far as I know, the temp you normally see on the status screen is from the internal HDD, and it's been speculated that it just pulls the SMART data. It's not far fetched at all that it would pull the SMART data from the EHD.

But why would it worry about the EHD, you would think the most important thing would be the temp of the components running IN the box. :confused:

If thats the case, and it very well could be, then the NON DVR's would not have a temp setting displayed in the System screen.
I cannot check, because I no longer have a Non DVR recvr, but, it would be interesting to find out if it really IS the HD temp vs the internal BOX temp.

Hell, if thats the case, my EHD is sitting in a wide open area in a 74* room and STILL is 118*

So if I put an ICE pack on the EHD does the temp go down ?

Btw, I just checked the unit in the cabinet and found that the HR24 and AM21 to be MUCH cooler than any previous recvrs I've had in the cabinet.
They are not even WARM !!!

Last edited:
But it's not reporting the temp in the box per se, it's just reporting the internal HDD temp. AFAIK, there is no second temp sensor, it all comes from the HDD, which already monitors itself.

I figure two things:

1) When the EHD takes over, the DVR reads it's SMART info

or

2) When the internal is relieved of it's duties and just spins (what Ive read suggests it spins and does not go to sleep) it generates more heat, and the temp is still coming from it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)