HR24 slowness problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smaug07

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Anyone else with an HR24 having issues with slowness? Both of my receivers are frequently slow to change channels, pull up the guide, switch between the double play channels, and there are issues with the stopping and starting of recorded programs, and even with the TV apps. Since this is happening with both of my HR24 units, I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar problems, and if anyone has any ideas what might be causing them and what might be a solution. I have already attempted to re-boot both receivers several times but with no success. I am really trying to avoid calling D* because they probably will be clueless, so I am hoping someone has an idea. Thanks.

It is an issue being discussed in a few threads at the 'other site'. Slowness as you describe isn't all that out of the ordinary, responding to the remote is also an issue.

At the moment, my 3 HR24s are fast enough to not be very irritating, but the remote response issue is getting more prevalent and more irritating. There are lots of pointers to fixes, none of which work with any regularity. Reset NVRAM, clear cache, reduce # of recordings kept on the HD. All mentioned with nearly no consistency of what causes or fixes the issue.

The fix will come if and when D* decides speed of operation and remote response is as important as adding trivial things like TV Apps, Pandora and YouTube. Unfortunately, imo, I don't think that day has arrived yet. From my POV, I would switch back to the old SDGUI in a heartbeat on my HR24s. With it, my HR24s were nearly as snappy in operation as was my 722k from Dish. :(

I'm having the issue with the HR24-100 in the living room. The HR24-500 seems to be fine or normal to remote commands and slowness. The HR24-100 is very slow sometimes and when you press the remote it can take a minute just to display the number you're pressing. A few minutes later, it starts working normally. I've rebooted it several times, deleted some of the recordings, etc. The problem is intermittent and very annoying.

Ditto here. Inconsistent and annoying. The trouble is there is no pattern. I changed the batteries on my remote and it looked like things were back in business. Then, last night the delays were just horrible. As noted, this seems widespread and is discussed on a number of threads. It will be up to D* to fix. I doubt they would do it, but it would be nice to go back to the old screens. (I think my receiver is HR24-200).

How much space is left on the hard drive?
One receiver has 80% free and the other 50% so I doubt this is an issue. Also, as a point of reference, this has only been happening somewhat recently, just in the past few months, so I am wondering if a recent software update may be causing the problem. I do know that both my wife and myself find this quite annoying for what we pay for television but I have my doubts as to whether D* can help.

I've 2 HR24's that have also been bogging down of late. My HR21 is better than it used to be but still worse than the HR24's. My H24 is a champ and is always responsive and lightning quick. Wish the same were true for the others.

I have similar issues. My HR24 has good days and bad days. Today just so happens to be a bad day. Manually tuning a channel is impossible. The guide takes 2 or 3 presses and over 10 seconds to show up. My hard drive is 81% free. From Monday to yesterday, though, it was fine. Last weekend, it was miserable, to the point where I gave up and went to the bedroom and watched the H25 which is still the fastest receiver I have ever seen on Directv, Dish, or cable.

HR24 here as well. I find the receiver to be fast just like my H25s. My hard drive is full as I never delete anything and let old items fall off as new ones get recorded.

sometimes going into the display and prefrences options and turning the scrolling effects off, then rebooting helps speed up all hddvr's

sometimes going into the display and prefrences options and turning the scrolling effects off, then rebooting helps speed up all hddvr's

Did that from the first day I got the receiver. I also turned off the Native mode the first day. I hope they fix this issue soon. :) Oh no, that damn word again.

I've been having trouble with my remote on my HR24 ever since the update that added energy saving. I got that update Feb 16. Sometimes my remote is fine. Other times it does not respond to multiple presses. Sometimes it goes crazy and scrolls through the guide (or whatever else it was on when I pressed it). I'd love a fix. I've been ready to call for a replacement several times, but it is intermittent and I also have recordings that I'd like to get a chance to watch before any swapping of equipment.

I forgot to mention I have the problems with 2 different remotes with fresh batteries in each. That's why I know it is on the receiver end and not a problem with the remote itself. Two remotes don't go "bad" on the same day.

I've been having trouble with my remote on my HR24 ever since the update that added energy saving. I got that update Feb 16. Sometimes my remote is fine. Other times it does not respond to multiple presses. Sometimes it goes crazy and scrolls through the guide (or whatever else it was on when I pressed it). I'd love a fix. I've been ready to call for a replacement several times, but it is intermittent and I also have recordings that I'd like to get a chance to watch before any swapping of equipment.

I forgot to mention I have the problems with 2 different remotes with fresh batteries in each. That's why I know it is on the receiver end and not a problem with the remote itself. Two remotes don't go "bad" on the same day.

all you can do now is wait until directv resolves this well known issue via software. when i first bought the HR24 when released this wasn't a problem but the previous models were having this issue. now it's happening with the HR24's but trust me when i say nothing like it was with the HR21-23. some claim they've never had this problem while others do. i'm sure directv is aware of the situation and will fix it "soon".........

all you can do now is wait until directv resolves this well known issue via software. when i first bought the HR24 when released this wasn't a problem but the previous models were having this issue. now it's happening with the HR24's but trust me when i say nothing like it was with the HR21-23. some claim they've never had this problem while others do. i'm sure directv is aware of the situation and will fix it "soon".........

Your on the money Rey.

Im part of the CE program. If you download new software on Friday or Saturday nights it
might just resolve the problem.

I had the slowdown on all three of my HR24. The new software fixed it.
At least for now.

The fact that it started misbehaving the first time I turned it on after a software update was my first clue. Then using 2 different DirecTV remotes with fresh batteries was my second clue. The fact that those same remotes work fine to control the TV are another clue. Now hearing from others just validates what I already really knew. To say this is driving me crazy on the days it acts up is an understatement. I'm glad this is out there on the forums and is so wide-spread. I don't know if DirecTV can tell when we do resets, but the vast number of resets should be telling them that something is wrong if they can track it (and I don't see why they wouldn't track that). Resetting usually gets me some relief, thought doesn't totatlly fix it, on the bad days. I feel for everyone who has or has had these problems. It is not fun. This is the first time I've experienced it and it is enough to make me wish I could get cable.

Last edited:
Your on the money Rey.

Im part of the CE program. If you download new software on Friday or Saturday nights it
might just resolve the problem.

I had the slowdown on all three of my HR24. The new software fixed it.
At least for now.
I don't think you should have to download new software yourself on Friday or Saturday to fix a problem that D* should...if D* is aware of this it should be fixed NOW if at all possible. Due to the volume of complaints just on this thread I think it is more than obvious that the problem is widespread. If D* sent out a faulty software upgrade they should do something to fix the problem...both my receivers are driving me crazy and I'm sure it is driving others crazy as well.

This is a known issue, and directv is working on it. It is essentially a software issue. This has been going on for a long time, but DTV has just NOW put this on the KNOWN issue list. So this will be resolved in 2 weeks maybe.

lparsons21 said:
It is an issue being discussed in a few threads at the 'other site'. Slowness as you describe isn't all that out of the ordinary, responding to the remote is also an issue.

At the moment, my 3 HR24s are fast enough to not be very irritating, but the remote response issue is getting more prevalent and more irritating. There are lots of pointers to fixes, none of which work with any regularity. Reset NVRAM, clear cache, reduce # of recordings kept on the HD. All mentioned with nearly no consistency of what causes or fixes the issue.

The fix will come if and when D* decides speed of operation and remote response is as important as adding trivial things like TV Apps, Pandora and YouTube. Unfortunately, imo, I don't think that day has arrived yet. From my POV, I would switch back to the old SDGUI in a heartbeat on my HR24s. With it, my HR24s were nearly as snappy in operation as was my 722k from Dish. :(

Well said. Exact same situation with my HR-34. Give me back the responsive SDGUI!

Status
Please reply by conversation.