New install question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n3kko

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
USA
I had DIRECTV come out last week. The guy that did my install was a very nice guy and treated me well. He hooked up my HR34 in the living room and my HR 21 (I think that’s it? It is the HD receiver, no DVR) and it all worked/works great!

I was curious though... my cousin came out to my house and pitched a fit... he said my dish was not grounded?

I do not really know what to do since my installer did not say anything about it. My cousin told me that he really didn't have a great place to ground it to.

All I have is a water faucet for a water hose. And I have a box mounted to the wall behind my AC unit.

I have a Slim line dish.

With a SWM system, it can be grounded at a multi-switch instead of at the dish. So you might check that.

But the system should definitely be grounded in case of lightning strikes.

it is not grounded there either :/ I have all of the RG6 running into one closet. There is 2 things in there from DTV one is a multi switch and one is a black thing that plugs into a power outlet (I think its the SWM Power Inserter). But no ground.

How would I go about grounding it?

Thanks for your help

It needs to be bonded at the dish and grounded outside using a ground block. The only approved ground for Directv is now the homes ground source so unless that is a possibility it won't be grounded

I'd make the installer come back out and do it. The best way is to put a grounding block between your dish and your splitter, then attach that to a grounding rod pounded into the ground. But the installer should have at least connected it to your house ground somewhere.

It needs to be bonded at the dish and grounded outside using a ground block. The only approved ground for Directv is now the homes ground source so unless that is a possibility it won't be grounded

My main grounding source is on the other side of the house. Do you think this is why he did not do it?

n3kko said:
Well then do you think I should get it grounded? Or will I be okay

We see more issues with it grounded than without. Mine is not grounded at my home. 4 lines straight to a SWM16 and haven't had an issue. But technically yes, it should be grounded

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts