HR24 vs. VIP722

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a HR 24,23 and 21. I have external 1T drive with other drives that give me 2.5T of hard drive space I can watch any show on any TV. I have $ 10 for receivers $3 mrv vs 34.00 for dish ( 2 722 and 622) That is a savings in fees of 21.00. There are things I like and dislike about both the HR and VIP but when doing the math the vip's are not worth 480.00 a year to have.
How does 12x21 = 480.00? Also if you were only running 1 tv with each rec you should have had 612s not 622/722, would have saved you $14.00/month. The primary receiver, no matter what model it is is free, so you could have a 722/612/612 for the same as 612/612/612. If you had a 722 you could have run a 4th little TV in the shop or kitchen or office.

I believe E* will activate their ability to have the receivers communicate through the power wires and have MRV/sharing also.

Whatever dude. The actions you're portraying are how the HR21-23 act, not the 24. Buy bye.

whatver DUDE (what are you 18?), we only have hr24's , we dont even have standard recievers here. Ive only been installing 500's and 100's

If your MRV starts immeditaly upon pressing play then i guess your just special, meanwhile the rest of us are waiting and waiting for the system to work.

my 722 that i have moves with every remote command, the HR24-500 doesnt display that i moved the selection till a second or more later, i actually have to watch the yellow bar scroll down the list in the menu the 6 or 7 times way after i pushed the remote command, i have to memorize the menu setup so i know how many times and which direction to push because waiting for the HR24-500 is so painful, then i verify after a couple seconds when i catches up. Ya i only setup about 10 a day, i have NO CLUE what im talking about.

then just trying to get to the menu is painful, if you press menu, then the top display bar shows up and cancels the menu, then i have to go back into menu and start going again (the whole time thinking ahead of what to push cause its not displayed right away)

If i push menu on my 722, it goes to the menu, nothing cancels me out or displays over top so i cant read it. You just dont know anything about a 722 i guess. Im not talking about channel changes, im talking remote commands and visual verification of the button pushed, DISH is immediate, direct is delayed even on the HR24-500 that you think is so great.

Anyone that says an HR24 is SLOW in a sentence, and then says the 722 is WAY faster, is a troll in my book.
:up:up:up I have plenty experience with the VIP series and missed it until now with the HR24. the days of me bitching over the slow as snails D dvrs are over. the speed and power are at the same level. hell i did one more comparison with my old man's vip and there is no difference. only things the vip has over the HR24 is PIP which i don't give a sh*t about and the ability to record more at the same time which i do like. you got ota on a VIP? then you can record 4 programs at once. oh and the HD gui of the 922. hopefully D* will get on the ball with this soon. but for now I'm very happy and very impressed with the HR24.

Last edited:
Whatever dude. The actions you're portraying are how the HR21-23 act, not the 24. Buy bye.

I have not personally used a 24, but what he says goes against every single post I have read in either forum on the 24. It does describe the 21-23 however.

So I agree with elway.

The HR21-23 are horrible, especially with an AM21 connected. Sometimes you hit the button, then have to wait a tad, especially if its recording. The HR24 bounces around with button clicks just fine.
+100000000000000:up i'm glad i just got the box today to send back that POS HR21. i had to beg D* to send me a recovery kit. seems like not even they want that piece of crap lmao :D. and they sent me two boxes:confused:. what a mess. if i don't call for the box they would've never sent the kit and i would've seen a sweet charge on my bank account of probably $400-$500 for that garbage of a DVR:rolleyes: what a mess .................

Clearly DISH Network does a much better job with CIG. This is one of the main reasons that the search had to be significantly beefed up (with the ability to specify/omit channels) on the HR2x line.

how does the search feature compare to directv's smart search? this feature is great on D*. haven't used the search feature on a vip for awhile now.

I know that this thread asks for comparison on the HR24 vs 722, but that really isn't fair. The 922 is the new top of the line from E* just like the HR24 is new for D*. If you aren't going to use the top of the line E* model than you should use the HR23. I haven't had time w/a 922 yet but from everything I have heard I think it will smoke all comers. I would upgrade my 722k but at this point they have turned off the TV2 output option for various reasons.

+100000000000000:up i'm glad i just got the box today to send back that POS HR21. i had to beg D* to send me a recovery kit. seems like not even they want that piece of crap lmao :D. and they sent me two boxes:confused:. what a mess. if i don't call for the box they would've never sent the kit and i would've seen a sweet charge on my bank account of probably $400-$500 for that garbage of a DVR:rolleyes: what a mess .................

Thanks Rey,
You reminded me that I have not recvd my return box yet, I'll need to call them and remind them, unless they don't want the H20 back, but they should at least tell me so.

I know that this thread asks for comparison on the HR24 vs 722, but that really isn't fair. The 922 is the new top of the line from E* just like the HR24 is new for D*. If you aren't going to use the top of the line E* model than you should use the HR23. I haven't had time w/a 922 yet but from everything I have heard I think it will smoke all comers. I would upgrade my 722k but at this point they have turned off the TV2 output option for various reasons.

Hmmmm, that 722's so good they are turning things off ....
Wonder why that is ..... something not work :eek:

Ok, give us the comparisions of the 922's and the HR24's ....

Haha, does not seem like the 922 is THAT great then:p

ok just installed another 500, that is pretty fast for response, ill have to check the 100's again, i know something still bothered me about them, mostly the dvr stuff i guess.

anyhow ya Vip has OTA, so 3 shows record at once

Still bothers me on the ten minute start up time on ALL direct recievers even the 500

Hmmmm, that 722's so good they are turning things off ....
Wonder why that is ..... something not work

The main reason the TV 2 is turned off on the 922 is that it has built in Sling, which runs off TV2s tuner. They don't want people watching their Sling shows out on the road on their laptops and changing the TV2 picture in the house. It may be that the 922 will stay more of a single TV box like a 612 (or all D* DVRs) with Sling ability. If that is the case I will probably get one and get a 612 for my MBR.

ok just installed another 500, that is pretty fast for response, ill have to check the 100's again, i know something still bothered me about them, mostly the dvr stuff i guess.

Still bothers me on the ten minute start up time on ALL direct recievers even the 500

Refresh me Jodean, you mentioned 500 and 100 what are you talking about ?

The HR24 is a 500, the HR24 doesn't come in a 100 version.

Whats bothering you about the DVR stuff ?

Fwiw, the HR24 boots up really quick, no where near 10 minutes.
My old HR20 use to take over a minute JUST to cycle down.
This one is down RIGHT NOW and starting back up almost instantly.

Recording 2 items vs 3 is no big deal, now if they went and made it so you could record 4-6 things at once, THAT would be impressive, but then DISH doesn't do that either.

how does the search feature compare to directv's smart search? this feature is great on D*. haven't used the search feature on a vip for awhile now.
I changed to dish over the versus issues wish i had not .
In my opinion the search on the vip is terrible almost none usable

100s? I assume you mean the H24-100 because there is no HR24-100 that I am aware of.

I changed to dish over the versus issues wish i had not .
In my opinion the search on the vip is terrible almost none usable

Should have waited it out......

Ya had to know they would have VS back on eventually .... in time for the NHL Playoffs, thats got to be the biggest thing VS has going.

Just rebooted my HR24, from hitting the dash to having video, 5 minutes.

I think the 922 is on it's own level. 722k vs HR24 makes more sense. From what I heard they were charging for the 922, it'd be like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevy, it should be better.

Refresh me Jodean, you mentioned 500 and 100 what are you talking about ?

The HR24 is a 500, the HR24 doesn't come in a 100 version.

Whats bothering you about the DVR stuff ?

Fwiw, the HR24 boots up really quick, no where near 10 minutes.
My old HR20 use to take over a minute JUST to cycle down.
This one is down RIGHT NOW and starting back up almost instantly.

Recording 2 items vs 3 is no big deal, now if they went and made it so you could record 4-6 things at once, THAT would be impressive, but then DISH doesn't do that either.

WEll dish gives you two HD dvrs, so yes, 6 recordings at once, and yes ive used all 6 at one time before.

the dvr stuff is the slow respsonse from the h24-100 to watch or do anything with the dvr stuff, takes over 5 seconds to start playing the show

WEll dish gives you two HD dvrs, so yes, 6 recordings at once, and yes ive used all 6 at one time before.

the dvr stuff is the slow respsonse from the h24-100 to watch or do anything with the dvr stuff, takes over 5 seconds to start playing the show

Interesting, I have a HR24-500 here I have been using, I just went to my playlist and Leno that I recorded when Kev left and the video was RIGHT THERE as soon as I hit PLAY.

Have you tried rebooting the recvr ?
Thru the menus, not the red button reset ?

Menu-Set up-System Set Up-ReSet-ReStart Recvr-dash

Give that a try, that is the correct way to do a reboot.
When you turn your computer off you don't just unplug it, thats basically what the RBR does.

See if that helps any.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)