HR2x / HR34 External Hard Drive FYI/Support (eSATA)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Everyone,

Need some help, I have been reading this thread (all 11 pages), great info! I went out this weekend and purchased the WD "My Book" external hard drive, the 500 MB and a cable from Fry's (I-I eSATA cable). I could not get this to work on either of my HR20's, I went to Best Buys and bought another cable and then I found out that Costco had the 1 TB WD so I bought that too. Swapped out the cable to the BB version on the 500 MB drive (did not work), swapped to the 1tb drive (did not work).....here are the steps that I took:
1) plugged in the power to the drive
2) plugged in the cable to the drive
3) plugged in the cable to the HR20
4) noticed that the drive powered up once I plugged in the cable to the HR20
5) powered on the HR20, started to do the bootup sequence
6) the "hello" screen came up
7) kept cycling to the hello screen, would not go to the "directv" loading screen
8) after about 1/2 hour, the HR20 finally went to the % loading screen
9) when it was loaded, I checked my "list" of shows and rather than having an empty list (as expected), the list was from the internal drive
10) I recorded a show, hoping that the system might recognize both drives, but no, it recorded onto the internal drive (my percentage is down to 20% available on the internal)

At this point, I don't get it, I even booted up the 1tb drive on my laptop and deleted all the files that came loaded on the drive, but it still did not work. I am out of ideas...can someone help?

Thanks!
Kevin

The FAP, E Book, and My Book don't work with the HR21's and it's not a HDD problem there is a chipset issue apparently.

The MX1 is too small for me I would like a 4 to 5 drive bay JBOD and/or RAID external. Has anyone tried the "AMS DS-2350S Aluminum Black eSATA 5 bay SATA Enclosure - Retail"?? I would assume it will work since it has the "Silicon Image Sil4726 Steel Vine RAID Storage Processor" which is pretty common. This is a pretty sweat box so even if it didn't work with the HR21 I could use it as a multimedia server in my network. My goal is to throw (5) 1TB JBOD configured fast Seagates and attach to my HR21 Pro.

AMS DS-2350S Aluminum Black eSATA 5 bay SATA Enclosure - Retail
Newegg.com - AMS DS-2350S Aluminum Black eSATA 5 bay SATA Enclosure - External Enclosures

Here is a good "How To" for tranfer of drive data so that you don't loose previous settings and recordings.

How To: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100894&page=6

Last edited:
AMS DS-2350S Aluminum Black eSATA 5 bay SATA Enclosure - Retail

I have the two disk version of the Venus, and I cannot get this work with my HR-21 at ALL :(

I bought a Maxtor Basics SATA II/300 1 TB HD (Fry's $159) and a Antec MX1 case ($29) for my HR20-100 about a month ago. Maybe I was lucky that it worked but it's been so worth it with the Olympics on. I highly recommend the Maxtor and the Antec case has a cool blue light similar to the HR20. Stupid but still cool dude.:cool:

Everyone,

Well, figured out that the external drives don't work....bought an internal 1TB Seagate and the Antec case from Fry's and it started right up.

Everyone,

Well, figured out that the external drives don't work....bought an internal 1TB Seagate and the Antec case from Fry's and it started right up.

Actually, they do work, quite well, too. I have a Cavalry 1TB hooked up to my HR20-700, The problem is the WD My Book's don't work with the HR20's. Too bad you didn't do a search on them here. There is a lot of info about what external hd works with which dvr.

Heres a pic of the 640gig WD and the Vantec case. I really like the looks of the case, very sharp, and it came with an eSATA cable. Also has a cool blue logo on the front. Only thing it could use is a cooling fan, but mine will be out in the open so I am not worried about it.

Case comes with screws to mount the drive to the inside, so its very sturdy. Will be connecting it tonight after I clear up some shows from this week.

IMG00123.jpg

Elway, I'm using the same enclosure with a 500gb WD gp. So far so good (been about 5 days so far).

Yep! Got mine on the top shelf behind the center channel. I may have to upgrade to 750gb in the fall after the new season series start. I just switched to D* about 2 months ago and have noticed that the stock hard drive on the HR-21 fills up more quickly than the 622 drive did. I wonder if this is a sign that D* uses less compression on their HD channels. Oh well . . . I ramble. . . Seems to be a great encolosure / drive combination.

I think the 622 has a little more storage than the hr's, not for sure though.

The 750 will give you 100 hours of OTA recording and a ton of mpeg4 space

Actually, they do work, quite well, too. I have a Cavalry 1TB hooked up to my HR20-700, The problem is the WD My Book's don't work with the HR20's. Too bad you didn't do a search on them here. There is a lot of info about what external hd works with which dvr.
Which Cavalry 1TB do you have hooked up to your HR20-700? I am thinking of getting a Cavalry 1TB Hard Drive - Dual Interface (USB 2.0 & eSATA) External Hard Drive - CAXM3701T0 (as found at Buy dot com)[I would have provided the exact link, but I joined yesterday and haven't posted enough times to post web links] since a lot of the customer comments are how easy it was to get it working with a HR21. If this Cavalry 1TB is as easy to set up with a HR20, then I will get one ASAP.

Just got mine via fedex this morning--worked right out of the box! FYI, I noticed buy.com raised the price over the weekend--mine was $160...

BTW, the drive is connected to a HR20-700.

Has anyone tried a Seagate 1TB Drive with 32MB buffer (ST31000340AS) on a HR21-100?

I know a Western Digital drive would work but I've had bad experiences with their customer service when getting bad drives and would like to also get a 32MB buffer drive since it is near the same price...

Which Cavalry 1TB do you have hooked up to your HR20-700? I am thinking of getting a Cavalry 1TB Hard Drive - Dual Interface (USB 2.0 & eSATA) External Hard Drive - CAXM3701T0 (as found at Buy dot com)[I would have provided the exact link, but I joined yesterday and haven't posted enough times to post web links] since a lot of the customer comments are how easy it was to get it working with a HR21. If this Cavalry 1TB is as easy to set up with a HR20, then I will get one ASAP.

I got the CAXE3701T0. I wouldn't recommend buy.com though. They are VERY slow to ship. They do have good prices, though.

I had three bad Cavalry 1TB's before giving up. Pulled the drive from the last one and it has be running w/o problem for two months in an Antec MX-1.

I went that route. Buy.com only allows returns for two weeks and Cavalry's RMA process is slow and expensive. Plus they just send you back previously used drives. I got one with the serial number from a 750gb taped over as a 1tb. Got three bad drives in a row.

I would avoid Cavalry as their quality has gone south in the last few months. Any good drive in an Antec MX-1 is the way to go.

HR-20 with Seagate drive?

Hi; new member here, and I could sure use some help.
Just hooked up a Seagate 750 GB drive with a Rosewill enclosure, rebooted the HR-20....and it didn't work. The DVR still uses the internal drive.

The drive is a Seagate ST3750640AS

The enclosure is the Rosewill RX353-S (I read a post from another forum in which the poster said he is using this enclosure successfully with his HR-20).

I powered down the HR-20, linked the drive to the DVR using the eSATA cable that came with the enclosure, powered up the drive, then powered up the HR-20. It booted up normally, but still uses the internal drive.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

I would greatly appreciate any help!

I tested out a new Seagate FreeAgent external storage with the HR21, the model is called FreeAgent XTreme and it is a 1TB solution. Plug and play.
Previously I was using a Maxtor product called QVX, but the biggest available model is 320GB. Again a plug and play with the HR21 (black model).
I hear that the XTreme will be in the market in the next few days, most likely at Fry's or Best Buy.
The bad news, the product does not include the eSATA cable. I am using an off the market flat cable and it works like a charm.

:eureka

Has anyone tried a Seagate 1TB Drive with 32MB buffer (ST31000340AS) on a HR21-100?

I know a Western Digital drive would work but I've had bad experiences with their customer service when getting bad drives and would like to also get a 32MB buffer drive since it is near the same price...
I'm a little late in responding, but at this point I would recommend avoiding that model of Seagate drive at all cost for that configuration. There is a thread on DBSTALK.com (here) specifically about that drive. I purchased one with the MX-1 enclosure and it does not work correctly.

There are also several reviews on Newegg that indicate a potential QA issue with that model. Those can be found here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)