HR2x / HR34 External Hard Drive FYI/Support (eSATA)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Since I am too lazy to read through this thread. Is there any chance we will see an update to allow you to use the internal hard drive with the external hard drive?

The reviews of the free agent 750 GB external drive at newegg are NOT good IMO, over 30% poor and very poor calling it painfully slow via esata.

Just installed a Cavalry 750gb external hard drive to one of my Hr20s - it was a simple as indicated by everyone - took all of 5 minutes. However, I do have a question. The on/off switch light flickers. According to the instruction booklet, it is supposed to do that when connected to a computer but of course says nothing related to a DVR installation. Is this flickering normal?

Thanks a lot.

Just installed a Cavalry 750gb external hard drive to one of my Hr20s - it was a simple as indicated by everyone - took all of 5 minutes. However, I do have a question. The on/off switch light flickers. According to the instruction booklet, it is supposed to do that when connected to a computer but of course says nothing related to a DVR installation. Is this flickering normal?

Thanks a lot.
the hr20 is a computer

Thanks a lot - of course it is a computer. At 82 (going on 83 shortly)- sometimes the brain doesn't function on all cylinders - think I am lucky it funtions at all.

Thanks a lot - of course it is a computer. At 82 (going on 83 shortly)- sometimes the brain doesn't function on all cylinders - think I am lucky it funtions at all.
no problem, i give you a lot of credit for doing this,,, it is a struggle for me to keep the flashing 12:00 off of my parents VCR... btw, you mentioned brain functioning,,, what is the order of degression pertaining to loss of bodily functions?,,, I am 52 and already suffer from middle age blindness.

no problem, i give you a lot of credit for doing this,,, it is a struggle for me to keep the flashing 12:00 off of my parents VCR... btw, you mentioned brain functioning,,, what is the order of degression pertaining to loss of bodily functions?,,, I am 52 and already suffer from middle age blindness.

I'm going to be 50 on Christmas, I'm either going to need longer arms or glasses if I want to continue reading the newspaper.

I asked this in the "How are you using..." thread.

"I'm getting the HR20 installed this Thursday to supplement my HR10 and I'm interested in the external eSATA capability. I totally understand how this works but a question has come to mind. If you get an eSATA enclosure that is also USB enabled can you plug the unit (disconnected from the HR20) into a PC and see the shows files? My guess is no, but thought I'd ask."

And to expand, can the HR20 eSATA drive be recognized on an eSATA PC? Has anyone given thought to writing a software driver that could ?

Only one from three partitons (EXT3) could be visible from the HR20 disk - you'll need ext3 support driver for Windows or use Linux; and NO - you can't see recordings in third partiton - it's raw type.

Esata Connector on HR20

I bought a 500GB WD drive. When I went to plug it into the receiver it would not fit. I pushed a little bit and the entire esata connector fell off into the box!

Do you need a special cable or will any Esata cable work?

I bought a 500GB WD drive. When I went to plug it into the receiver it would not fit. I pushed a little bit and the entire esata connector fell off into the box!

Do you need a special cable or will any Esata cable work?

An eSata cable almost looks like an HDMI cable. So make sure it isn't a regular Sata cable and also make sure you have it turned the right way, not upside down.

It is called a type I to type I. Usually I-I on the packaging. Also make sure the packaging has eSATA to eSATA & note the lowercase "e".

If you have a Fry's nearby, there is a generic cable for 9.99 that works.

It is called a type I to type I. Usually I-I on the packaging. Also make sure the packaging has eSATA to eSATA & note the lowercase "e".

If you have a Fry's nearby, there is a generic cable for 9.99 that works.

drain69,
As mentioned above, you need the I to I cable.
You probably have a L to L cable.
The L to L are easier to find because they are used INSIDE computers, the I is for external use.

I have had trouble finding I to I cables in town anywhere, but they are available online for 5-10 bucks.

Jimbo

Hi, I went through like about the first 7 pages of this thread and I either missed or did not see what I was looking for. I just got my HR20-100 last week. I bought a 750GB drive and enclosure and hooked it up. Everything seems to be fine, but how do I know it is reading from the external drive? I have a SD DVR box from DirecTV and that tells me how many hours I have left. This one just shows a percentage.

Hi, I went through like about the first 7 pages of this thread and I either missed or did not see what I was looking for. I just got my HR20-100 last week. I bought a 750GB drive and enclosure and hooked it up. Everything seems to be fine, but how do I know it is reading from the external drive? I have a SD DVR box from DirecTV and that tells me how many hours I have left. This one just shows a percentage.

I presume you have it hooked up thru the ESATA connection on the back of the box.
If so, it reads the External, once you disconnect it, it will read from the internal until the external is plugged back in.

Jimbo

I am looking for info adding an external hard drive on a HR21.. All I can find here is info on the HR20-700.. Also does the Hr21 put the programs in folders like Hr21 does now??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts