HR2x / R22 Software Release 10/23 0X368

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As with all of the updates, there's some interesting bugs with this new software as well. On is the fact that the system will not read there is a SWIM installed even if you do not have one

Recorded shows order

When you bring up the list of recorded shows by default it displays newest to oldest. I know you can change the order but it would be nice if you could change the default order. Anyone know if this is possible?

Theguv - I've seen the same problem. I dont know if its a guide data related issue or some problem with the firmware update, but I have had a couple of series shows (like the evening news) stop recording. I finally just put in a manual repeat recording for 5-5:30, every day, on the news channel. That seemed to solve it. Bummer if its a show that moves, is on periodically on different nights, or sometimes runs 2 hours instead of an hour.

If you're having problems with disk chatter and related video/audio issues, and it wasnt happening until you got the new software, its probably a problem with the firmware. If you've been having disk noise with associated video stuttering before the firmware, its probably a bad drive.

There is another problem with the dolby encoders used by many local stations and national networks. They're primarily made to produce an mpeg2 stream, and there are some funny bugs in them that can create problems with the audio and sometimes the video, but these rarely show up when the stream is transmitted all the way as mpeg2. But when directv transcodes the stream to mpeg4 and broadcasts it, the problem manifests itself as an audio drop, a 'zipper sound' or even as a breakup in video and audio. I understand they're slowly working these issues out but its push-pull with every broadcaster, since their stance is often "we dont have this problem with the cable providers, so its directv's problem".

Seems worse with some networks and some locals than others.

One thing I've noted with dvr's over the last 10 years is that when a major new software release comes out or one with a big feature, you discover that the dvr sounds funny. You get used to the patterns of seek noises and stop noticing them, then when theres a change the patterns of sounds change. I noticed this with my tivo when going from versions 1 to 2 and then to 3. When I first got it, I thought "man, thats noisy", but then got used to it. Then with each major new version, it sounded a little different and I needed a few days to get used to it.

These newer directv firmwares with dual buffers, mrv and all the other bells and whistles are really stressing the disk drives a lot more than before. That might mean a marginal drive starts failing. Might mean they make more or different sounds.

Update fixed my issue!

Well after getting the update the order of my recorded shows stays the same (oldest to newest) and I don't have to keep changing it. Nice

I forced an update.. just grabbed the same update I have.. LoL.. I guess DirecTV isn't ready for me to have the latest software.. maybe I should do this between 1-2 AM EST?

The CE download window, when there is one, is Friday and Saturday between 11PM and 2AM eastern time, other times you'll get whatever the national release is.

The CE download window, when there is one, is Friday and Saturday between 11PM and 2AM eastern time, other times you'll get whatever the national release is.

It's been a while since I upgraded to a CE release.. I may do that...

Has anyone else noticed on the HR20's that the MPEG4 bug seems to be worse with the new software? Mine is consantly having audio drops and screen errors, and I was told that it is an issue that the reciever looses the MPEG4 sync and has to 'reset'. Is this a problem across the HR20's or should I call in for a replacement?

I'm getting audio dropouts, so far just Showtime and ESPN.

I lost all of my Season Passes with this new software release. Spent 2 hours last night adding them back. :mad:

Since the update I have had several recorded shows fail to playback. They are in the list and in the history as fully recorded, but when I select to play all I get is a blank screen with the choice to delete or not delete. When I click on Dont Delete I still get the same blank screen.

Anyone else having this grief?

Tony

Since the update I have had several recorded shows fail to playback. They are in the list and in the history as fully recorded, but when I select to play all I get is a blank screen with the choice to delete or not delete. When I click on Dont Delete I still get the same blank screen.

Anyone else having this grief?

Tony

Started having this same issue with this release. Pulled power plug and after about 10 minutes plugged it back for a hard reset. Seems to have cured the problem for a while. This has happened several times since the latest software (0368) was sent.

Also, the series link issues mentioned above have happened as well.

Problems are on HR20-700s.

0x368 Software...

I read this thread along with many others I found "googling" HR21-700 problems. I am watching my TV now on playback of a CNBC program. I am seeing periodic pauses of the playback each lasting 30 to 60 seconds. After a while of this problem I am now seeing "jittering" as it was called in other threads. A reset of the unit, (press red button on front panel), seems to eliminate the "jittering" for a time but will not fix the pauses. I tried live TV and it too pauses. These problems surface on my machine after this software was installed.

"Jittering" is define as very short pauses of the video without any affect on the sound. Most noticeable on the "crawl" on the bottom of the screen.

I read in another thread, (I do not know if it was in this site), that there is a hardware design issue at the bottom of the HR2x HD DVR issues. I have seen these problems described on the HR20, HR21, and the HR22 models. I have not seen yet that the HR23 have them too. Maybe, the HR23 has not been in service long enough to expose the design defect.

HR21-700 I own this machine
0x368 installed 10/27 3:01 am

I read one reply in another thread that suggested adding an external HD to see if this fixes a HD problem on the internal HD. Has anyone tried this? In this post, the person wrote that adding an external HD causes the internal one to be ignored. Is this true?

Yes, using an external drive replaces the internal drive completely.

What you have might not be a disk related problem though. When watching live tv the sat feed goes directly to the decoder, bypassing the disk. It is written to the disk anyhow, but the playback isnt dependent on the disk.

So perhaps you've got an issue with your signal/dish aiming, a bad cable, a bad bbc or a flaky lnb.

I read this thread along with many others I found "googling" HR21-700 problems. I am watching my TV now on playback of a CNBC program. I am seeing periodic pauses of the playback each lasting 30 to 60 seconds. After a while of this problem I am now seeing "jittering" as it was called in other threads. A reset of the unit, (press red button on front panel), seems to eliminate the "jittering" for a time but will not fix the pauses. I tried live TV and it too pauses. These problems surface on my machine after this software was installed.

"Jittering" is define as very short pauses of the video without any affect on the sound. Most noticeable on the "crawl" on the bottom of the screen.

I read in another thread, (I do not know if it was in this site), that there is a hardware design issue at the bottom of the HR2x HD DVR issues. I have seen these problems described on the HR20, HR21, and the HR22 models. I have not seen yet that the HR23 have them too. Maybe, the HR23 has not been in service long enough to expose the design defect.

HR21-700 I own this machine
0x368 installed 10/27 3:01 am

I read one reply in another thread that suggested adding an external HD to see if this fixes a HD problem on the internal HD. Has anyone tried this? In this post, the person wrote that adding an external HD causes the internal one to be ignored. Is this true?

Yes, using an external drive replaces the internal drive completely.

What you have might not be a disk related problem though. When watching live tv the sat feed goes directly to the decoder, bypassing the disk. It is written to the disk anyhow, but the playback isnt dependent on the disk.

So perhaps you've got an issue with your signal/dish aiming, a bad cable, a bad bbc or a flaky lnb.

It appears to NOT be a hard drive issue as I have used both the internal as well as a EHD (several ) and have the issue.

It has been happening on alot of them, I have friends I caught up with at Chrismas party scattered across a large portion of NW Ohio and they are happening on all of them.
I seem to notice it most on OTA channels, but that could be because thats where 90 % of my recording is.
One of the other guys said he has trouble with the Sat channels as well.
I am using an EHD while the others are using the internal with the same symptoms.
3 recvrs are HR20's but I don't know that the 4th one is off hand.
Are you guys experiencing it with other models as well ?

One day later and several shoes recorded...

Well, rather than sit around wondering what I could do to fix the "jittering" and the constant freezin of the video, I decided to act on the theory that the internal hard drive in the HR21-700 is not up to the task for HD video. (This theory came from another thread.)

I bought an external HD with ESATA. Unplugged my DVR. Connected the HD to the DVR. Powered up the HD. Then powered up the DVR. I lost my recordings & my scheduled tasks as expected. My "jittering" and freezing is gone.

Also, the speed of the DVR to my remote has improved dramatically. I now believe the slow response to remote commands is the first symptom of the HD problem. I now will wait to see if the new software will run this new HD ragged too.

NexStar 3 External HD case
Hitachi 1.0 TB 32 MB cache 7200 RPM

:)

One day later and several shows recorded...

Well, rather than sit around wondering what I could do to fix the "jittering" and the constant freezin of the video, I decided to act on the theory that the internal hard drive in the HR21-700 is not up to the task for HD video. (This theory came from another thread.)

I bought an external HD with ESATA. Unplugged my DVR. Connected the HD to the DVR. Powered up the HD. Then powered up the DVR. I lost my recordings & my scheduled tasks as expected. My "jittering" and freezing is gone.

Also, the speed of the DVR to my remote has improved dramatically. I now believe the slow response to remote commands is the first symptom of the HD problem. I now will wait to see if the new software will run this new HD ragged too.

If you think it was a harddrive issue then IMHO you should call DirecTV and try to get them to replace it. Why put up with a box that has a problem?

If you think it was a harddrive issue then IMHO you should call DirecTV and try to get them to replace it. Why put up with a box that has a problem?

His problem will probably come back one the new software is on the EHD.

I've had issues with both internal as well as EHD's with the freezing issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)