HR34 Dropping Internet Connection (Hard-Wired)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JD Hogg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
SoCal
On my HR34-700, I have an Ethernet cable going directly to the back of the receiver and my internet speed is 30/4. And my "Whole Home" consists of a C31 client and a HR24-100 as well.

For whatever reason, the Hr34 can't seem to stay connected to the internet. They are times when I launch the apps or go to download VOD, I get a pop-up saying that I'm NOT connected to the internet. So I go through the "Network" set-up process and I get a connection.....but several hours later the connection has dropped/disconnected again.

Anyone else have this issue with the HR34 and is there a fix for it? Is this a router related issue (ie settings) or specific to the HR34?

Thanks.

JD Hogg said:
On my HR34-700, I have an Ethernet cable going directly to the back of the receiver and my internet speed is 30/4. And my "Whole Home" consists of a C31 client and a HR24-100 as well.

For whatever reason, the Hr34 can't seem to stay connected to the internet. They are times when I launch the apps or go to download VOD, I get a pop-up saying that I'm NOT connected to the internet. So I go through the "Network" set-up process and I get a connection.....but several hours later the connection has dropped/disconnected again.

Anyone else have this issue with the HR34 and is there a fix for it? Is this a router related issue (ie settings) or specific to the HR34?

Thanks.

It's your 34 more than likely. There is a known issue with them dropping and having DoD issues

are you 110% sure you are having IP issues? how do you have your network setup?

It could possibly be IP-related issues - but I'm not certain.

I'm running an Ethernet cable directly from one of the LAN ports from the back of my Asus RT-N66U router to the Ethernet port on the back of the HR34.

Is it recommended to assign a "static IP" or possible make any other router changes?

Would I see a better performance/stability with the internet connection on the HR34 if connected via the CCK instead of direct Ethernet?

I enable DHCP (if its not by default) and manually assign IPs to all my devices and have never had issues. That said I do not have the HR34 specifically. If you have the cinema connect kit then use it sure, but no "need" to pay extra for it.. Your issue can be resolved without it.

If you have MRV, then your internet should be connected through the CCK. Connecting a separate ethernet with a CCK also in use will cause the internet to disconnect.

If you have MRV, then your internet should be connected through the CCK. Connecting a separate ethernet with a CCK also in use will cause the internet to disconnect.

MRV is enabled but I'm NOT using a CCK (rather a direct Ethernet cable connection to back of HR34). I read somewhere that the HR34 have the CCK (non-wireless) already built-in.

I was under the impression that it's either/or (CCK or Ethernet) and that BOTH methods work for Whole Home/MRV.

Am I doing this wrong - and should I be using a CCK instead of direct Ethernet?

You may well be right about the CCK already being in the HR34s. I'm not up on that. Both CCK or ethernet will work, but the ethernet isn't supported by Directv. They will enable it, though. Previously you had to email them to get them to do it, I'm not sure how it works now.

The engineer liaison that came out for my issue said the CCK wasn't necessary with the HR34 (granted this was a brand new install, so it could have been a recent development). I have the CCK installed anyway, just because the installer brought one and put it on. Not sure if there's a benefit either way, except for being cleaner without the CCK. I may fiddle with taking it off this weekend.

Confirmed w/ DTV that a CCK is not needed if Ethernet is directly connected to HR34 from router.

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread and answered my questions.

Great community!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)