HR34 Existing Customer Discounts

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I pulled the plug, New HR-34, a new HD receiver, to be installed on Tuesday.
Also changed my package from Premier to Choice Xtra, as the other half and I don't watch the movie channels much anymore, and if we do see something it's easy for us to add it to our download queue via tpb.
New monthly total for 24 months including 3 rooms, HD, whole home, and choice xtra is $58.99. I honestly couldn't be happier with everyone that I spoke to.

I was originally forwarded to the tier 3 technical department, and he forwarded me to cancellations telling me that they would be able to get me a much better deal than he could.
Overall a wonderful experience, and again, they've made me a very happy d* customer.

jcrandall said:
Ordered an HR34 off ebay, ended up speding $355 shipped. Braved to cold today to switch LNBs and run three more lines into the house from the dish, an dinstalled the SWM16 into the basement. Spent $50 on the SWM16 last week (used). Damn wind chills below zero all day, no fun at all. All is running good, should get the HR34 toward the end of the week, then I'll have an owned H24 and SWM LNB kit to sell and recoupe some of the costs on the new stuff.

I think when I'm done selling the stuff I no longer need I'll be into the HR34 about $250.

Past two days have been way cold, especially yesterday with the winds. Shows how much we love our technology!

Reading the posts about the discounts, reminds me of sunday ticket threads.

Direct TV sent me a TiVo HD DVR instead of the HR34 today, so I spent a couple more hours on the phone today between two different Retention Departments. They told me the HR34 (discounted anywhere from $99-$350 depending whom I spoke to) has to be installed by a professional ($49) and that I would also need a Cinema Connection Kit ($99). I refused to pay for their mistakes and told them they can make it right or I'm switching to Dish in March. They kicked and screamed for a long time but eventually set me up with an install date for tomorrow totally free.

02/13/2012 Home Media Center Server - Gen Reten CRG($99.00)($6.69)
02/13/2012 Cinema Connection Kit - Gen Reten CRG($99.00)($6.69)
02/13/2012 Standard Installation - SalesOrderCredit($49.00)($3.31)
02/13/2012XXXXXXXX1380 Standard Installation - Charge$49.00$3.31
02/13/2012XXXXXXXX1380 Home Media Center Server - Charge$99.00$6.69
02/13/2012XXXXXXXX1380 Cinema Connection Kit - Charge$99.00$6.69

Last edited:
My install is scheduled for today between 12 and 4 eastern.
Hopefully he comes toward the end of the install window so I can get home and see exactly what the tech is doing.
Will keep you updated with info as I get it!

Hope this doesn't upset anyone, but I got my HR34, cinema kit, and install for free (actually more than free). Keep in mind that I'm a 15 year customer an had my account on hold for a month because I was in the process of switching to FiOS. I told them that for me to stay, they'd have to get my bill reduced to the point where it cost the same as the difference between the FiOS triple and double play and I'd need to replace my old HR20 with the latest and greatest. They basically gave me every promotion that was active plus a bunch of credits. Considering that so far, I've probably given them $10,000, it was probably a good decision on their part.

lparsons21 said:
On the off chance that a second call might be more productive than my first unsuccessful attempt at getting an HR34 with a rebate, I gave it a whirl.

No joy! They wouldn't budge off the $399+$50 install+$50 equip upgrade charge since I am still in the first year. Not even after I told them towards the end that I could just get one for $399 from a retailer and pay no install or upgrade fee. I thought that might get at least $100 off. But no, no sale yet again. :(

The $50 upgrade fee only applies to fairly new accounts or ones with bad payment history. Don't be discouraged, dtv cuts back on credits during the time of year the price increase takes affect. Keep the account in good standing and try again in a couple months, you don't have to wait till the year mark 6 to 8 months with good payment history will get you decent but not great deal.

Hope this doesn't upset anyone, but I got my HR34, cinema kit, and install for free (actually more than free). Keep in mind that I'm a 15 year customer an had my account on hold for a month because I was in the process of switching to FiOS. I told them that for me to stay, they'd have to get my bill reduced to the point where it cost the same as the difference between the FiOS triple and double play and I'd need to replace my old HR20 with the latest and greatest. They basically gave me every promotion that was active plus a bunch of credits. Considering that so far, I've probably given them $10,000, it was probably a good decision on their part.

UPDATE: I went on line to check my bill and somehow the credit for the HR34 got rejected. I had to speak with retention again and the rep told me it got rejected because it was too good of an offer. He told me that the best he could do was a $100 credit. Far from $400. He refused to hear my side even though the case notes from two different calls mentioned a free HR34. What he failed to realize was that I agreed to the contract extension based on the offer that was promised. His supervisor understood how illegal this is and she promptly issued the full credit.

wow, they are being real tough with these new receivers. i hope i do not get that much hassle when i get one once eligible.

OldSkoolMadSkilz said:
UPDATE: I went on line to check my bill and somehow the credit for the HR34 got rejected. I had to speak with retention again and the rep told me it got rejected because it was too good of an offer. He told me that the best he could do was a $100 credit. Far from $400. He refused to hear my side even though the case notes from two different calls mentioned a free HR34. What he failed to realize was that I agreed to the contract extension based on the offer that was promised. His supervisor understood how illegal this is and she promptly issued the full credit.

Glad that you were taken care of, directv is one of the best at taking care of long time tenured customers, even if you had to call back to have the issue fully resolved it is worth it.

Glad that you were taken care of, directv is one of the best at taking care of long time tenured customers, even if you had to call back to have the issue fully resolved it is worth it.

I agree. I've been with them since 1997.

I'm not really big on contracts and cancellation fees. I don't know if you remember a VoIP company named SunRocket, but they had a contract policy that went like this. "We don't charge cancellation fees, because we don't feel you should be penalized for our inability to provide the service you expect." They went out of business a few years back. I guess nice guys do finish last.

I'd probably suggest giving this few months before upgrading.
I am sure DTV will get their issues worked out by then.

OldSkoolMadSkilz said:
I agree. I've been with them since 1997.

I'm not really big on contracts and cancellation fees. I don't know if you remember a VoIP company named SunRocket, but they had a contract policy that went like this. "We don't charge cancellation fees, because we don't feel you should be penalized for our inability to provide the service you expect." They went out of business a few years back. I guess nice guys do finish last.

I agree if you've been a customer that long there should be an exception in some cases. Myself I don't mind the contract, If directv is willing to give me thousands of dollars in equipment at little to no cost I'll take the contract. You'd be surprised at the number of customer that sign up, have everything installed at no cost then churn or switch to the competitor as soon as their rebates roll off. Look at it this way, you've been a customer 15 years what's two more, directv's the best!

Last edited:
DVDDAD said:
Well, I did call twice last week and was shot down both times. However, this week I called and spoke with retentions and got it for $149 plus tax. It pays to be persistant! :)

Say cancel or close when you get to the automated lady and she asks you to discribe why you're calling, that should route you to the customer retention group without having to be transferred. Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)