HR34 (Genie) Responsiveness compared to HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
I have an install scheduled Saturday to update my home from an HR24 (living room) and HR23 (bedroom) to a Genie system. The living room will get a 34/Genie while the old HR24 will move to the bedroom as a client.

Here's what I need to know.

How will the new HR34/Genie compare in regards to speed to the HR24? I have read some negative feedback when it comes to responsiveness with the Genie. This could be a deal breaker for me. I'm looking for honest reviews. I am hoping that the 34 and 24 have similar speed.

Last edited:
I went from having HR24s and H24s to having a "Genie" and 3 C31s and they all seem to work just fine here so far. I havent noticed any speed change between anything on my new system that would seem slower than my old HR24s and such. Although the first couple days there were lags and such but as you can imagine the system would be updating and downloading alot the first few days but after that it has been a nice speedy little system and having full trickplay and playlist functionality on every tv thru the house is a definite plus.

No difference in speed between the two.

I beg to differ. The HR34 "Genie" is slow, sluggish and sometimes unresponsive
compared to the HR24. Button response on the HR24 is blazing fast and instant - while on the HR34 feels like it's on a slight delay.

In typical there isnt to much difference, just dont judge it by the first 24/48 hrs because it is going to be downloading alot of information during this time. after that you shouldnt see to much of a difference.

I have noticed there is no difference when you get it new takes awhile to download the eveerything on it :)

OK guys.. .Thanks for putting me at ease. I didnt want to go back to my HR21 days! What a terrible device that was.

I had a R22 which is basically a HR21 but could be used on standard definition accounts (and get HD if you had a "real" HD receiver on the account) and yeah the HR34 hauls ass compared to that....to which (in the other thread where you asked the same question) ;) got this awesome response

You can't compare ANYTHING to an R22! My grandma can move faster then one of those things :D

I had a R22 which is basically a HR21 but could be used on standard definition accounts (and get HD if you had a "real" HD receiver on the account) and yeah the HR34 hauls ass compared to that....to which (in the other thread where you asked the same question) ;) got this awesome response

You can't compare ANYTHING to an R22! My grandma can move faster then one of those things :D

Awww! Did I say that!? :p

I beg to differ. The HR34 "Genie" is slow, sluggish and sometimes unresponsive
compared to the HR24. Button response on the HR24 is blazing fast and instant - while on the HR34 feels like it's on a slight delay.

I have the same problem. Its not just you (even tho so many would like you to believe it is)

I have the same problem. Its not just you (even tho so many would like you to believe it is)

Over the past 2 months, I have referred a total of 5 family members/friends/co-workers to DTV and ALL of them got the HR34 Genie receiver - and guess what, they ALL have reported the slow/sluggish/delayed remote response and menu navigating as compared to their NON-HR34 units (HR24, HR23, H25).

So for anyone to say that it's just MY unit is laughable and absurd. I've checked many HR34 discussion threads elsewhere and this is definitely a known issue. Supposedly it's a "software issue" but I doubt it (most likely hardware) and the fact that DTV is releasing a new model (HR44) so quickly after the Genie was released and shoved down our throats pretty much confirms this.

It's odd. I just got the genie today and find it so far to be pretty darn responsive. My older HR22 is slow as can be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)