HR34 not recording some shows, canceling series recordings on it's own

Status
Please reply by conversation.

archer75

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
So I had service installed last Friday the 23rd. I setup series recordings. The first issue was on Monday it was set to record Being Human and Lost Girl. Both new episodes(per the first aired date in the guide) and neither one was recorded. The system then also deleted the series recording for Being Human.

On Tuesday the new HD GUI was downloaded and the system rebooted.

Today it was set to record Touch and Person of Interest at 9pm via a series recording. Neither one recorded even though in the guide it showed a record icon on the Touch banner. I then manually told it to record both shows which it did do.
However it went ahead and deleted the series recordings for both of those shows.

A few days ago I set it to record Sandwich Paradise on the Travel Channel. It did not record and the history says it was cancelled.

Now, I do not have any tuner conflicts. At any time slot. At most I have 4 of the 5 tuners going at once and only on one night.

Also several shows, Castle, New Girl and Breaking in are all set to record 1 minute later per the guides start time. Castle at 10:01, New Girl at 9:01 and Breaking in at 9:31. As a result it cut off the beginning of castle as it really did start at 10pm. With New Girl I changed it in advance to record at 9pm because I did not trust the guide was correct however the show started a minute before that and was cut off. Breaking in really did start at 9:31 so that one is fine.

This is the only receiver I have in the house.

I also contacted direct tv with this and am awaiting a response but I thought i'd post here to see if anyone else is having similar issues.

I just noticed mine didn't record Person of Interest either..it was new last night, right? It recorded Touch though. Until now the only problems I've had is it records TOO much, sometimes stuff that isn't first run.

So today, 3 shows set to record, all 3 showing as cancelled in the history due to programming update, two of them did indeed record. Game of Thrones did not record. So irritating.

For us, Game of Thrones (which we set to record 1st run) will record tomorrow night, not tonight. Possibly it's a DTV programming issue to where it's not indicating that a show is new so the hr34 skips it? We have been missing several shows lately now that I think about it, and I just don't have time to monitor the timers each day to find a pattern or discover before a show gets skipped.

My only major disappointment with DirecTV since I had it set up over two weeks ago is recording issues. I think I've had DVR service for 10 years or so going all the way back to ReplayTV and I've never had these recording issues until now. It doesn't seem to work like Dish or any cable provider I've seen where it lists "new" or "repeat" in the guide. It shows the date of the initial airing when you go into "info"(not sure what the point of DTV having this different than everyone else) and I wonder if that has anything to do with the recording functionality. I do know it's not acceptable to have so many recording errors when I can't ever recall a recording mistake from a DVR in 10 years when there have been many now in two weeks.

The only issue I have it wants to record shows that are not first run. But I had the exact same issue with Dish but their 922 was painfully slow to delete the shows one by one. At least on the Hr43 I just hit the red button and delete the whole group at once. So far in 4 months with HR34 I have not missed any first run shows.

My only major disappointment with DirecTV since I had it set up over two weeks ago is recording issues. I think I've had DVR service for 10 years or so going all the way back to ReplayTV and I've never had these recording issues until now. It doesn't seem to work like Dish or any cable provider I've seen where it lists "new" or "repeat" in the guide. It shows the date of the initial airing when you go into "info"(not sure what the point of DTV having this different than everyone else) and I wonder if that has anything to do with the recording functionality. I do know it's not acceptable to have so many recording errors when I can't ever recall a recording mistake from a DVR in 10 years when there have been many now in two weeks.

This exactly! DTV would be well served to add "New" to the 1st run of shows and then have the DVR's base their recording decisions based off of that tag.

This exactly! DTV would be well served to add "New" to the 1st run of shows and then have the DVR's base their recording decisions based off of that tag.

Direct TV gets their guide data from tribune media, AKA the zap2it website, and it does indeed tag shows with "new" in addition to the original air date. So the data is already there. Direct just needs to use it.

I have been having a similar issue after the GUI update. Its not that the shows are not recording its that the DVR is locking up and dropping off the network. I have to physically pull power and roboot. The shows may not be recording due to the box being offline? It has happened 3 times in the last week after the update.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts