HR34 Whole Home DVR Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CaTz_EyE

Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
VA
My HR34 was installed on 2/16. I already had 2 HR-24's. I now have a SWM-16. My 2 HR-24's can see the HR-34 DVR List fine but my HR-34 states no networked DVRs found. The technician tried to get it to work. He called his supervisor and they couldn't figure it out. The next day, after the installation, it worked for a short while but we reset the receiver because it wasn't showing the right names from the other receivers. Once we did that it went away and hasn't come back. :cry:

I really want to be able to watch the recordings from my other receivers.

Resets have been tried, forced software update, system test, etc.

The HR-24s and HR-34 are using the wired CCK (Cinema Connection Kit). DirecTV on Demand works fine as far as downloading shows. I am not keen on having the old blue UI. I preferred the new HDUI. Hopefully the new UI will be available soon.

The software is 0x4c9. The only issue the system test displays is that it is not connected to a phone line. The Whole Home DVR shows as Authorized.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

CaTz_EyE said:
My HR34 was installed on 2/16. I already had 2 HR-24's. I now have a SWM-16. My 2 HR-24's can see the HR-34 DVR List fine but my HR-34 states no networked DVRs found. The technician tried to get it to work. He called his supervisor and they couldn't figure it out. The next day, after the installation, it worked for a short while but we reset the receiver because it wasn't showing the right names from the other receivers. Once we did that it went away and hasn't come back. :cry:

I really want to be able to watch the recordings from my other receivers.

Resets have been tried, forced software update, system test, etc.

The HR-24s and HR-34 are using the wired CCK (Cinema Connection Kit). DirecTV on Demand works fine as far as downloading shows. I am not keen on having the old blue UI. I preferred the new HDUI. Hopefully the new UI will be available soon.

The software is 0x4c9. The only issue the system test displays is that it is not connected to a phone line. The Whole Home DVR shows as Authorized.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Have you tried unplugging from power and powering back on in sequence?

Unplugg all rcvrs from power

Plug 34 in and wait til your watching live tv
Plug 24 in and wait til your watching live tv
Test whole home

Just because you can download shows doesn't mean the CCK is actually 100% working. If it's 100% working, you'll be able to download and buy (the two are not mutually inclusive -- on the Info screen for a PPV you've downloaded but not bought yet {or that's expired}, do you just get the watch/resume option or do you also get an option a few items down to "buy" it?). CCK and MRV via DECA are extremely sensitive to minor problems in your coax cable runs that normally wouldn't affect normal reception at all. So verify at each receiver whether it can actually purchase (as opposed to just download) and if some can and some can't, then switch them. If the problem is location-specific then the cable run to that location is bad and needs to be replaced.

jragan said:
Just because you can download shows doesn't mean the CCK is actually 100% working. If it's 100% working, you'll be able to download and buy (the two are not mutually inclusive -- on the Info screen for a PPV you've downloaded but not bought yet {or that's expired}, do you just get the watch/resume option or do you also get an option a few items down to "buy" it?). CCK and MRV via DECA are extremely sensitive to minor problems in your coax cable runs that normally wouldn't affect normal reception at all. So verify at each receiver whether it can actually purchase (as opposed to just download) and if some can and some can't, then switch them. If the problem is location-specific then the cable run to that location is bad and needs to be replaced.

Not entirely true. My sister has a broadband deca and can NOT buy a single thing but can download at will. There is a lot more then just what you mention. Your account, settings, parental control and several other things. I've seen this issue as you mentioned but this doesn't ALWAYS mean you have a bad cable, a quick test with an aim meter will clear this problem before you go crazy replacing cables for no reason

We have no problem purchasing movies that are VOD. We have done so many times - most recently being within a week of the installation - so that is not the issue. I'm not quite sure how purchasing VOD or not would affect MRV from working, but anyway that part works fine.

Not entirely true. My sister has a broadband deca and can NOT buy a single thing but can download at will. There is a lot more then just what you mention. Your account, settings, parental control and several other things. I've seen this issue as you mentioned but this doesn't ALWAYS mean you have a bad cable, a quick test with an aim meter will clear this problem before you go crazy replacing cables for no reason

CaTz_EyE said:
We have no problem purchasing movies that are VOD. We have done so many times - most recently being within a week of the installation - so that is not the issue. I'm not quite sure how purchasing VOD or not would affect MRV from working, but anyway that part works fine.

I hate to say it but from what I've read on here and other places you may have problems for a while longer. The 34 is still some what an unstable receiver at this point. It's EXTREMLY new and with that comes issues

This fixed the problem. Thank you!!!

Test whole home

Test whole home

I'm having similar issues with my three HR-24's playing content off my HR-34. I've tried resetting all the receivers, but I wasn't patient enough to wait until one was playing live TV before power cycling each receiver. I'll try this tonight and let you know if it worked for me or not.

I had sorta the same problem, I have 2 hr 24-100 and a hr25-100 connected to my hr34 whole home drv setup.I could see all the recording on the hr34 from all my receivers but when I tried to play them it would have a problem connecting. If it finnaly did and start to play the show it would freeze up a few sec after playback. After 3 calls to tech support to Directv all they could tell me is I have to wait for a update patch to fix the issue and that they were working on the problem. Well after a month of no fix I started trying to figure out how and why they had things setup the way they did. After figuring out what the SWM box was for (to connect the other boxes to the network) and how it was set up,I started to wounder why I had 2 cat5 cables used for the directv setup. 1 went to the SWM box and another to the back of the hr34. The way I figured if the SWM was connecting all the receivers to the network through the cable line (witch was also running to the hr34) why did I need another cat5 cable connected to the hr34 box. So I unplugged the cat5 from the hr34 and all the problems I had were gone.I was pretty upset that I had gone over a month without being able to use my whole home dvr setup :rant: (witch is why I switched over from Dish) all becuase the tech didn't know what he was doing or was trained wrong. But it has been 3 days since I took off the cat5 from the hr34 and I have had no problems at all watching my recording from any room in the house. I just wanted to let others know that had the same kind of problems what to check for to help them out also.:)

i had the same problems the tech had run a cat5 from router to the eternet on the hr34 and i had the wired decca connects kit.I unplug the cat 5 and my h24s are working grear now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts