HR34

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
As told today the HR34 launched December 2nd! I'm pretty stoked to install these things, they look awesome! Going to see a lot more SWM 16's out there though

That is something they didn't cover with us. I'm sure you'll have to meet "special" requirements to receive one at first like SWM was when it first launched but I would think sooner or later it will become a normal receiver and just install it whenever.

How can a new customer get one installed?
You get what you get. That's the way DIRECTV rolls.

As of today, it would appear that you need to order HD and DVR service to three or more TVs and be in a limited roll-out market. Even then it is anyone's guess as to what you'll end up with.

Smart tvs will use a tuner from a 34. It will pick up the signal and be used as a "2nd" receiver. So like harshness said you he what ya get but I believe it'll be very limited.

So, with the HR34, you get the HD that is in it, thats it and all others recvrs work off it ?

What about EHD's is there a connection for them on it (ESATA).

I like the 5 tuners , but hate the idea of sharing a HD with all the recvrs in the home.

Last edited:
Jimbo said:
So, with the HR34, you get the HD that is in it, thats it and all others recvrs work off it ?

What about EHD's is there a connection for them on it (ESATA).

I like the 5 tuners , but hat ehte idea of sharing a HD with all the recvrs in the home.

From what we was told it can control up to 5 tv's 4 must be smart tvs and except the wifi signal being sent. It has a dongle that attaches to the back (which makes no sense since its a wifi signal) but its suppose to use the digital signal to convert it to HD. As far as the others Jimbo, I'm not sure what you mean.

From what we was told it can control up to 5 tv's 4 must be smart tvs and except the wifi signal being sent. It has a dongle that attaches to the back (which makes no sense since its a wifi signal) but its suppose to use the digital signal to convert it to HD. As far as the others Jimbo, I'm not sure what you mean.

Meaning if I have other recvrs they would use the HD in the HR24 ?
Also, this would allow you to record from other locations (recvrs) and it would record on the HR34 only, I guess.

While I'm liking the 5 tuners, can't say it's for me.

Jimbo said:
Meaning if I have other recvrs they would use the HD in the HR24 ?
Also, this would allow you to record from other locations (recvrs) and it would record on the HR34 only, I guess.

It's using the digital tuner inside the tv itself up covert the signal to HD from what I understand. My problem is having 1 receiver and it goes bad then what? Now you're stuck with 0 tvs working. I'm kinda torn between the features. I'm trying to figure out how we techs are going to get the extra 3 lines to on-Q panels in basements and stuff on $600k homes. It's going to be a deal breaker I believe

It's using the digital tuner inside the tv itself up covert the signal to HD from what I understand. My problem is having 1 receiver and it goes bad then what? Now you're stuck with 0 tvs working. I'm kinda torn between the features. I'm trying to figure out how we techs are going to get the extra 3 lines to on-Q panels in basements and stuff on $600k homes. It's going to be a deal breaker I believe

Isn't this a Strictly SWM device ?
Your saying you need 5 physical lines to the HR34, or am I reading you wrong ?

At this time, the more I hear about it, the LESS I like it.

It is SWM only but if you want 3 more tuners else where you have to have a SWM 16. If 5 lines were needed I would never install one lol. It's kinda of a good/bad receiver. It had its ups and downs

It takes 1 line from switch to receiver. It's required an 8 way SWM splitter in order to work. Just running straight from LNB is not recommended but if you want more tuners that's where the other lines are needed. Anything more then 8 tuners we all know requires a SWM 16. Hope that clears it up. Bowling on the wii and playing on my phone at the same time. It's kind of tricky to do :)

Last edited:
It is SWM only but if you want 3 more tuners else where you have to have a SWM 16. If 5 lines were needed I would never install one lol. It's kinda of a good/bad receiver. It had its ups and downs

It takes 1 line from switch to receiver. It's required an 8 way SWM splitter in order to work. Just running straight from LNB is not recommended but if you want more tuners that's where the other lines are needed. Anything more then 8 tuners we all know requires a SWM 16. Hope that clears it up. Bowling on the wii and playing on my phone at the same time. It's kind of tricky to do :)

Thanks for the Info !
I forgot it would be going to the splitter.

No problem I'm trying to get one ASAP just to play with it. I already have a SWM 16 in my attic running so I'm fixing to add another receiver to my account so I'm waiting until I'm able to get one just so I can see the flaws and all. I would be able to play with it more at home then at the shop. I'm sure people will post on here when it launches as they'll have it before me. Just itching to get it and see what it really can do

No problem I'm trying to get one ASAP just to play with it. I already have a SWM 16 in my attic running so I'm fixing to add another receiver to my account so I'm waiting until I'm able to get one just so I can see the flaws and all. I would be able to play with it more at home then at the shop. I'm sure people will post on here when it launches as they'll have it before me. Just itching to get it and see what it really can do

I've got 2 HD DVRs, (24 and 20-700), in the home system, so thats 4 tuners with independent Hard Drives, the 24 has a 1.5 tb EHD the other the internal 300gb, would like to upgrade the 20-700 though, but don't think the HR34 is the way to go at this point.

They will discount the new 24 (If I were to get a 24 that is) by $ 50, but I still would need to go buy a AM21 at $ 60 to get the same ability that I had with the 20-700.

I've got 2 HR24's and a HR22 in my system. No reason for the SWM 16 but I figured one day I may use it so now I'm glad it's there because the 34 will give me 11 tuners. As far as the AM21 goes, all my locals are here with directv so I don't need it. I feel bad for the people that do. I think Directv should supply if it's needed!

I've got 2 HR24's and a HR22 in my system. No reason for the SWM 16 but I figured one day I may use it so now I'm glad it's there because the 34 will give me 11 tuners. As far as the AM21 goes, all my locals are here with directv so I don't need it. I feel bad for the people that do. I think Directv should supply if it's needed!

They are here now, but were not when I started, however with the AM21 hooked up, I can get the Detroit locals as well as the Toledo ones with my antenna.

If it was offered at a decent price for me it would work great (but then again I live alone) :)

I've got 2 R22's but dont have MRV so there are times I record stuff in the computer room and have to watch it there (on the 2nd R22)

Iceberg said:
If it was offered at a decent price for me it would work great (but then again I live alone) :)

I've got 2 R22's but dont have MRV so there are times I record stuff in the computer room and have to watch it there (on the 2nd R22)

Why not pay the 3 bucks iceberg? I know it can't be breaking the bank :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)