HR34s are making a (small) comeback

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jam3s

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Visited the warehouse today and lo and behold, there were no 44s on my pallet, and in their place were a bunch of HR34-700CRs. That's right, refurbished 34s. I've still got 6 44s on my truck, but I've been told to reserve them for service calls on 44s.

Our warehouse got several full pallets of them instead of the usual HR44s. I'm going to assume that other sites will be experiencing the same. Rumor is that the summer surge in new installs and upgrades to genie has created a temporary shortage in the HR44. Are there any other O&O techs/contractors seeing the same in their respective DMAs?

Sure, all those 34's that have been replaced, they are not gonna just eat them, the fixed them and sent them to you for re distribution !

We've had 34's for almost a month now. Started getting 44's in again last week. 34's and 31's with RC71 remotes. Seems legit

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

On the retail side all we get are 44's. You can bet $$ if I see an invoice with 34's I'm gonna raise cane.

I like the idea of having HR44's for service calls. If my 44 goes out and they show up with a 34, they can leave and come back later to try that again!

I'm so glad I subscribe to this forum, where else could you get info like this? I can't believe D* would push these old troublesome receivers on unsuspecting new subscribers! It was one of the first advise I was given by fellow members here last year when I switched from Dish to D*, to make sure to get the 44 & not the 34. Hopefully these refurbs won't give as much problems but shouldn't D* have to let the customer know that they're getting refurbished equipment before installing?

You often get refurbs as a new customer, whether from Directv, Dish, a cable company, whatever. The HR34 isn't inherently buggy, but anytime a new (HR44) model comes out, everyone thinks the old one is junk. That's really not the case here, although the 44 is better than the 34, no doubt.

Reactions: ejb1980 and Jimbo
The HR34 was junk when it was brand new and it is still junk, refurbished or not.

2 brand new with none stop problems in the first 2 months. Now more than a year with a 44 and not a single problem and performance wise no comparison.

So your experience is with TWO units out of the (probably) hundreds of thousands that are out there. Good cross section there. :rollingeyes

Certainly not, but I have read plenty of complaints about the HR44 as well. Your experience may tell a particular story, but the fact is that the HR34 isn't a piece of junk.

So your experience is with TWO units out of the (probably) hundreds of thousands that are out there. Good cross section there. :rollingeyes
So how many should he have tried, 3, 4? I know if I would have gotten two or more bad receivers in a row, I would have tried my luck with a Hopper or Tivo.

I don't disagree. Where I disagree is calling the HR34 junk based on such a small number in his experience.

I don't disagree. Where I disagree is calling the HR34 junk based on such a small number in his experience.

You've probably one of the top posters and most informed people here, Chip. Except for statements like this. There are many many complaints about the HR34. It's not just two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts