HR44 and HR54 Together

Richfunb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I'm a long time customer with HR44-200 and HR 24-500 receivers. The HR24 is probably 20 years old and now can only be turned on with a red button reset. Five days ago, I called DIRECTV Customer Service and after explaining the problem, the CSR said they would send me a Genie Client to replace the HR24 since that model is now obsolete.

Today I received a Genie Client box in the mail but the box only contained a new remote control - no Genie Client. Either the shipping department forgot to put the Genie in the box or someone stole the receiver as it was being shipped. I once again called DIRECTV Customer Service and said I had an equipment issue. After spending 15 minutes on the phone with a CSR explaining the missing Genie problem, the representative said he was in the Billing Department and would have to transfer me to Technical Support. After being transferred, I started again with an explanation and this new person kept putting me on hold as she was obviously consulting with another CSR. She finally said the solution was to replace the HR24 with an HR54. From reading this FORUM every day, I know that that an HR44 and an HR54 are not allowed together and I told her so. She consulted again and finally said she would order another Genie Client to replace the missing one without charge. We will see what comes in the mail.

Sorry for the long Customer Service rant but I do have a question. If the CSR had sent the HR54, would the HR44 and HR54 receivers work together? Are they not permitted together due to a technical issue or Is that simply a DIRECTV policy to not allow a customer to have both? The reason I ask is that I will lose the ability to record 2 shows without the HR24 and maybe should have let her send the HR54. . Thanks for any help.

They are not permitted, it's technical issues. Directv could probably overcome them with software changes but has chosen not to. And before anyone responds with incorrect info, I am one of the few people with experience of multiple genie servers on the same account (I actually had three for testing purposes)) and it was not pretty

And for 4k the 54 is useless, not sure why they would send one out?

I'm a long time customer with HR44-200 and HR 24-500 receivers. The HR24 is probably 20 years old and now can only be turned on with a red button reset. Five days ago, I called DIRECTV Customer Service and after explaining the problem, the CSR said they would send me a Genie Client to replace the HR24 since that model is now obsolete.

Today I received a Genie Client box in the mail but the box only contained a new remote control - no Genie Client. Either the shipping department forgot to put the Genie in the box or someone stole the receiver as it was being shipped. I once again called DIRECTV Customer Service and said I had an equipment issue. After spending 15 minutes on the phone with a CSR explaining the missing Genie problem, the representative said he was in the Billing Department and would have to transfer me to Technical Support. After being transferred, I started again with an explanation and this new person kept putting me on hold as she was obviously consulting with another CSR. She finally said the solution was to replace the HR24 with an HR54. From reading this FORUM every day, I know that that an HR44 and an HR54 are not allowed together and I told her so. She consulted again and finally said she would order another Genie Client to replace the missing one without charge. We will see what comes in the mail.

Sorry for the long Customer Service rant but I do have a question. If the CSR had sent the HR54, would the HR44 and HR54 receivers work together? Are they not permitted together due to a technical issue or Is that simply a DIRECTV policy to not allow a customer to have both? The reason I ask is that I will lose the ability to record 2 shows without the HR24 and maybe should have let her send the HR54. . Thanks for any help.
Yes -they both work together (IF they send you a HR54) call and see if they activate it -after they sent it to you.

Play dumb and then you can have10 additional tuners --the only issue of having both --is when viewing recorded content from hr44 to the hr54 --the picture will breakup every so often. So what I do is watch the recorded content on my c61K --solved.

my 54 is a testing unit and that's only issue for them not to be installed for the avg user in field --conflict for battling moco control. I no longer have both --but yes--they will work together.

I will add -when doing a software update and you start a mini -it will ask you which server you wish to connect too. by showing each Ip address of both units

what's the difference in packages for an HR 44 vs a 54???
Nothing -all Channel Packages work the same (4K) is no charge (except) needing a C61K @$7 a month (they have started Showing "free" movies 2 every 14 days -Not first runs -but 4K none less

Reactions: John2021
Nothing -all Channel Packages work the same (4K) is no charge (except) needing a C61K @$7 a month (they have started Showing "free" movies 2 every 14 days -Not first runs -but 4K none less
I asked cause I read that the all in one packages are gone. I just found it funny since I'm on an all in one package

I asked cause I read that the all in one packages are gone. I just found it funny since I'm on an all in one package
Changing your (equipment) receivers does NOT affect your programing --say if you're on a package that is "Grandfathered" and change to a different package you lose your Grandfathered status. Adding 4k does not effect that.

They are not permitted, it's technical issues. Directv could probably overcome them with software changes but has chosen not to. And before anyone responds with incorrect info, I am one of the few people with experience of multiple genie servers on the same account (I actually had three for testing purposes)) and it was not pretty
Did you try MOCA/DECA blockers on them?

As a follow up to my original post, I did receive the Genie Client in the mail along with instructions to go to the website att.com/recycle for a shipping label to recycle the old HR24. However, when I went to that website I received the following Privacy Warning from Google Chrome. I think I'll simply not return the receiver. Has anyone seen this warning before?

1644856591503.png

As a follow up to my original post, I did receive the Genie Client in the mail along with instructions to go to the website att.com/recycle for a shipping label to recycle the old HR24. However, when I went to that website I received the following Privacy Warning from Google Chrome. I think I'll simply not return the receiver. Has anyone seen this warning before?
Why not return it at a UPS or FedEx store like any other receiver? Will they not take it?

Reactions: Jimbo
I have an HR44 as the main receiver so replacing the HR24 with a Genie is okay. The instructions to return the HR24 said it should go to a recycling location, not back to DIRECTV. The instructions also said to go to that website to print out a pre-addressed label and then take the package to a UPS or FedEx store.

I have an HR44 as the main receiver so replacing the HR24 with a Genie is okay. The instructions to return the HR24 said it should go to a recycling location, not back to DIRECTV. The instructions also said to go to that website to print out a pre-addressed label and then take the package to a UPS or FedEx store.
Return it to Fed Ex or UPS, they will be able to make a label up and they will take it from there.
Btw, it WILL go back to D*, to do whatever they decide.

you lost 2 tuners and 50 timers, it is not an equal replacement, its a downgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)