HR44 with 3 HR24s?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roach

Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
United States
Im curious how this would work? Right now I have 4 tvs (3 HR24s and 1 H25) but wanting to get the HR44, mainly for its space and PIP. My 2yr contract is ending so im getting to the point where they are willing to give me better deals. In any case, how would this work? I mean, if Im on one of the HR24s and I hit record, which box will it record to? Itself or the HR44? Same with accessing playlists, do both show? If Im on the genie, I assume it will only record onto its own device?

The biggest issue I have now with the HR24s is that I have to put some thought into the shows I record. Like I dont want to fill up all of one of the DVRs and leave the other 2 empty, so I have to balance them. If that makes sense. Anyhow any advice/thoughts are appreciated

If you have more than 1 HD DVR it will record to that DVR that you select it too. So it will record to itself
You could view DVR programs on all DVRs though

Iceberg, what do you mean the DVR you select it to? When Im on the HR24, I hit record, does it prompt me to select that HR24 or the HR44 at that time? Or is this a system setting buried in the menu? Or something else? Thx

Iceberg, what do you mean the DVR you select it to? When Im on the HR24, I hit record, does it prompt me to select that HR24 or the HR44 at that time? Or is this a system setting buried in the menu? Or something else? Thx

If you hit record on a HR24 it will record on that unit (or have a timer set on it)
If you hit record on the Hr44 it will record on the HR44

I know if you set timers online (logging into your Directv account) you can select what DVR to record to as long as they are hooked together with the internet.

Oh I see. So with the HR44 Im getting the increase in space (500 to 1000), smaller size of box, 5 tuners (instead of 2), and PIP. Sounds like my management thing will still be an issue. I suppose I could get a HR44, 3x C41s, and possibly an ext harddrive but that will get pricey...

I had 4 HR-24's and upgraded one to a HR-34 Genie, so now I have three HR-24's and a HR-34 Genie. The only thing that would make me happier is three HR-24's and a HR-44, so I don't think you'd be upset to upgrade your H-25 to an HR-44. But why would you want to downgrade your HR-24's to the 3 C41 clients? You don't gain anything by doing that and lose 1.5 TB of recording space and six more tuners to record from. You were on track by replacing your H25 to a HR44, but downgrading your HR24's to C41 clients does not gain you anything, you lose capability. Do you not have MRV (Multi-room viewing)? Is there something else I missed?

While yes I agree it is a downgrade, the one thing that sucks about having 3 HR24s now is how much thought has to go into the management of recordings. The playback is a non issue but when setting up a recording I have to think which box has the most space, set it up there, etc. I mean its totally a firstworldproblem lol but it is my one minor annoyance. The idea of having one massive harddrive regardless of where you hit record from is nice.

Yes, but the whole reason for me to have more than one dvr is to keep from losing all recordings if one of them fails. That's why I don't understand why anyone uses a 2+ tb hard drive. Why take the chance of losing so much at once?

I'd stick with the 24's and a 44. Once you get all your recordings set to where you want them it won't be too bad I wouldn't think. The 41's is a huge downgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)