HR54 - 4K Genie FIRST LOOK

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No K9SAT, as the receiver (54) supports HVEC Encoding which will be used for the 4K. The older models can do that. (That's what I have been told.)

I just wonder if the RVU client will still work when they start with the linear 4K. I have a feeling (and its ONLY a feeling) that it won't.

That's what concerns me about 4K as well. I was seriously looking at some sets, and then got to reading some articles, saying that right now, 4K is only into the second "stage" out of four as this article put it. Can't recall where I read it or who wrote the article. I have decided to wait it out for a little bit, do some more research and reading, and wait for more satellite and physically available content (like a Blu-Ray equivalent) since I can't get super fast broadband here.
With very little getting broadcast I'll let the other guy go first.

I feel sorry for the family that must buy a new set because their old one broke during this transition period.

BTW, I still have my father's quad stereo equipment in the same closet that contain my old video game consoles.

No K9SAT, as the receiver (54) supports HVEC Encoding which will be used for the 4K. The older models can do that. (That's what I have been told.)

I just wonder if the RVU client will still work when they start with the linear 4K. I have a feeling (and its ONLY a feeling) that it won't.

I totally spaced that part! So many standards now that its starting to get hard to keep up with all of them! :)

Any expectations of better performance over an hr44 if not using 4k? That's really all that has us considering 'cut the cord'-style experiments in the next couple of months. Xbox One OTA tuner and antenna arriving today.

Any expectations of better performance over an hr44 if not using 4k? That's really all that has us considering 'cut the cord'-style experiments in the next couple of months. Xbox One OTA tuner and antenna arriving today.
The First Look does state there are HW changes, I suspect one of these would be a better CPU.

But if it requires two tuners for 4K, that means only the main TV and one mini for another TV can be operated at the same time - that's not much, And with an only one Genie per household limit still in effect and no new HR24s in production. To me, it seems like DirecTV is painting themselves into a corner.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
From what I hear it is actually 13 tuners on the HR54 (Which is why DSWM is required), and it has a 2TB HDD not a 1TB. It is able to power 8 mini's at once for signal, and combined with the C51, it can bring 4K to more than just the Genie's TV. The pictures you have are from the Alpha release which was already chopped up and rebuilt multiple times. The latest rendition from what I understand has both the WVB and GenieGo built into it to compete with the newer Hopper system.

Not to mention right now it is rumored to be a Q4 2015 release date so far, DirecTv is claiming the two new Genies to come out by the end of the year, both the H44 Genie Lite, and the H54 Gen3 Genie.

Reactions: TheRatPatrol
From what I hear it is actually 13 tuners on the HR54 (Which is why DSWM is required), and it has a 2TB HDD not a 1TB. It is able to power 8 mini's at once for signal, and combined with the C51, it can bring 4K to more than just the Genie's TV. The pictures you have are from the Alpha release which was already chopped up and rebuilt multiple times. The latest rendition from what I understand has both the WVB and GenieGo built into it to compete with the newer Hopper system.

Not to mention right now it is rumored to be a Q4 2015 release date so far, DirecTv is claiming the two new Genies to come out by the end of the year, both the H44 Genie Lite, and the H54 Gen3 Genie.

I don't think they will do 13 tuners. I can see 8 or 10. They need to allow for 3 additional single tuner hd RECEivers

With Internet Streaming devices becoming more cheaper to purchase. I see no reason for DirecTV to continue carrying Pandora. They do need to fix the Favorites, so that if one is created in error, it can be removed from the unit.

4K/UHD tvs are getting cheaper every day. Just like manufacturers were using 1080p tuners on sets that were specified as 720p only. Same thing when they introduced the 3D sets. They just went in and shut down the 3D capabilities. I am thinking that when manufacturers finally get their stuff together, the tuners in non-4K/UHD sets, will be the same one as 4K/UHD.

Manufacturers need to give the end user a choice to enable or disable the App's on Smart TV's. Especially if they already have a streaming unit, that is better than what is coded in on the tv software.

i have a hard time seeing the WVB being integrated into the 54, due to added cost per unit. putting the geniego inside would be a smart move though.

Very interesting news coming to me, that tells me that the HR54 CAN NOT directly output 4K video. It is identical to the HR44 and the only difference is it can do transponder bonding. I am told for it to display 4K you will need a "C61K" so that the HR54 is just acting as a media server.

I also got clarification on the number of Tuners... the number of tuners is indeed 5. I am told the alpha units had 7 tuners however the beta boxes and the ones consumers will receive will have only 5 usable tuners in it.

Again I am keeping my ear to the ground and if and when I hear more I will indeed pass it along.

Last edited:
Very interesting news coming to me, that tells me that the HR54 CAN NOT directly output 4K video. It is identical to the HR44 and the only difference is it can do transponder bonding. I am told for it to display 4K you will need a "CK-61" so that the HR54 is just acting as a media server.

I also got clarification on the number of Tuners... the number of tuners is indeed 5. I am told the alpha units had 7 tuners however the beta boxes and the ones consumers will receive will have only 5 usable tuners in it.

Again I am keeping my ear to the ground and if and when I hear more I will indeed pass it along.
Thanks for the clarification, the HR54 is beginning to look not to impressive... :-(

Reactions: Troch77
Thanks for the clarification, the HR54 is beginning to look not to impressive... :-(

I know! This thing is looking more and more like a dud! I dont get why they would release a box that cant output 4k, considering the fact that both sites have reported that it can do 4k output. If transponder bonding is the only thing added now your going to require people to swap out 3 peices of equipment. Lnb, genie and client. On top of that the genie wont be able to go where the 4k tv is.

It sounds like directv is botching 4k!

I know! This thing is looking more and more like a dud! I dont get why they would release a box that cant output 4k, considering the fact that both sites have reported that it can do 4k output. If transponder bonding is the only thing added now your going to require people to swap out 3 peices of equipment. Lnb, genie and client. On top of that the genie wont be able to go where the 4k tv is.

It sounds like directv is botching 4k!

I don't think that DIRECTV is botching 4k, seeing as none of the providers even offer it yet. And having already ripped the top off of my 54, I'm quite hopeful of the capabilities of the hardware. Plus, don't forget that the units in circulation are beta spec, for what I'd assume is going to be software stability testing, not features trials, and may be subject to change. Also, don't forget that the engineers at directv are always cooking up cool new stuff, so the 54 may fill an intermediate gap for cooler stuff to come.

Whats the point of having transponder bonding if the unit cannot output 4K, isn't the Transponder bonding specifically FOR 4K use ?

Whats the point of having transponder bonding if the unit cannot output 4K, isn't the Transponder bonding specifically FOR 4K use ?

IF (very big IF) the IRD doesn't support it natively, it will still require it to deliver the streams to compatible clients, which will then process the streams and output 4K. Until someone says otherwise, though, I'm going to go on believing that the 54 will also support 4k at the reciever.

Reactions: harshness
Scott do not tell that to the AVS Forum "Gurus". They are easily upset, if you tease them with something. It is bad enough that you have people that do not need a DAC or OPPO Blu-Ray player, but really do not need them.

I am at this point, that our Blu-Ray player is a dust collector. Same with our AVR. I use our Amazon Fire box and Sound bar when watching streaming stuff. The Fire has the horsepower to handle 4K/UHD. Now if Amazon & DirecTV got together. It would change everything.

I am taking it that the most the Transponders can handle is 2K.

It is sad enough that the "gurus" over at AVS Forum, are already talking about 8K, which is only used by the military and the Medical industry at this point.

I am taking it that the most the Transponders can handle is 2K.

It is sad enough that the "gurus" over at AVS Forum, are already talking about 8K, which is only used by the military and the Medical industry at this point.
I pointed out about waiting for 8 K as well, many months ago. Not for the same reasons though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts